Thread: TOTM: Transfer Cases

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 TOTM: Transfer Cases 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    Our rigs are two wheel drive with out 'em! From a hack-and-tap stocker to a 4 speed Atlas, what do you have, what do you want.

Tech specs would be nice - weight, low range gearing, driver/pass drop, etc....
    Last edited by rstrucks; 12-01-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

2. #2 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    I broke my 231 so I swapped in a 205. It's just about bulletproof, knock on wood, and easily twinstickable, but the downside is the ratio is only 2:1. To get my desired crawl ratio, I am running a granny 4spd (np435). In an auto application, you'd need to have a rangebox in front (likely a 203) and then you might get into weight, fitment and drivetrain supporting issues. But for anyone who wants to run a manual trans, or get creative with gearing, it's great. The poor man's atlas.

3. #3 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    I'm still running the stock 242 in mine, with a Tom Wood's SYE. The biggest pain with that was finding the proper output seal, since at the time the SYE was made for an early 242. It runs to a flanged output and then to a Tom Wood's driveshaft. I like the set up, although I use "full time" less and less each year. In reality, I either use 2wd or 4-low on the trail, I have not had to use 4-hi, either part-time or full-time, all that much.

When I have to change this t-case, I'll go to a 231. For me, the novelty of full time has worn off.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

4. #4 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    i as well have been thinking of ditching the 242 for a built up 231 with SYE ... i find that i hardly ever use the full time anymore.. even in the snow
    Matt
    December '09 ROTM
    93 ZJ 5.2 242J
    HP30-truetrac/D44a-Aussie 4.56
    6.5" Long Arms, 35"s

5. #5 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Figure these would be good links to include in here too.

231 Swap WriteUp

Input Shaft Swap WriteUp

242 Info

I run a 231 with a JB Conversions SYE on my rig. All stock except for the SYE. Been happy with it so far, but something lower than the 2.72 low range would be nice for crawling, but when I consider all the different terrain my ZJ sees it's probably the best ratio for me.

I've encountered a few t-case failures over the years, most related to front driveshaft issues. Had a front shaft come off the front yoke and smash a hole into the actual case, and then snapped the front output shaft on another case.

If you're going to crack a case open, a good set of snap ring pliers will be a big help.

6. #6 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 93ZeeJ View Post
    i as well have been thinking of ditching the 242 for a built up 231 with SYE ... i find that i hardly ever use the full time anymore.. even in the snow
    I used the 4Hi on my 231 for the first time in probably a good 5 years on Friday when my truck wouldn't start!

7. #7 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    I know Im rockin an XJ but what the hell. Its all the same anyway.

Im running a 231 case with a PORC sye and was able to use an xj DC front shaft in the rear.

I have considered upgrading the 231 to a 231hd with chevy parts but now that Im doing the 5.3 vortec engine for sure, I have been considering the 242 amg or a 242 hybrid. I have seen a few guys above saying they dont use their full time position much but I think it might be cool to have the awd with 300hp on the street. Kind of like my own version of the srt8 grand (except this one can go offroad )
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

8. #8 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Senior Member it usually runs fine's Avatar
    I have been happy with my 242 in my zj. I have driven a lot of miles offroad in a rubicon also and the 241 has too much of a gap between 1:1 and 4:1 I think it's uncomfortable. I belive that as long as I have the correct axle ratio for your tires then the 2:72 will remain adequate for my needs. That being said. My drive line will consist of 4.0>AW4>np242>4.88's>37" tires and I think I will be happy with it.
    Some girls don't like guys like me, but some girls do.

9. #9 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Quote Originally Posted by it usually runs fine View Post
    I have been happy with my 242 in my zj. I have driven a lot of miles offroad in a rubicon also and the 241 has too much of a gap between 1:1 and 4:1 I think it's uncomfortable.
    I deffinitely agree. I have the 242 in the Polar Bear and I think the 2.72:1 is pretty close to perfect for all I do, the 4:1 in the Rock Limo is too low for most of the trail running I do. When I scrounge together the cash, I'm probably going to go with a 3.0 or 3.8:1 two speed Atlas for the Polar Bear.
    I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

10. #10 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    I have the stock 242 that came with my WJ new. I changed the front output shaft to an XJ model when I changed the yoke to work with the Ujointed drive shaft.

I like the 242 in my situation becuase:
    2 HI for general driving around town and getting to the trails and back.

4 HI full time allows the drive shafts to differentiate which is great when having a detroit in the rear. Much better than in 4 HI part time on the ice and snow.

4 HI part time locks the front and rear drive shafts for those time when I need the traction in high range.

N - obvious

4 LO the 242 does lock the drive shafts in 4 lo as well. Most tcases do however some older ZJ models did not.

Basically I like the 242 for my application. Especailly with a locker in the rear. It is nice that a SYE kit is available too. I found I do not need a SYE because of the HP axles. I do wish there was a 4:1 low kit for the 242.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

11. #11 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Admin
    My 1997 Limited V8 came with the ever-hated 249 (Full time 4wd, through a viscous coupling which often fails). One of the first things I did was swap it out for a 231HD (2HI, N, 4HI, 4LO) from JB Conversions with a SYE, because I knew I'd keep wheeling it, and back then the 249 was more of a mystery than it is now. I sold that 249 to JPRanger (close, real name Cory) and apparently it lasted for years and years on a rig with 38's... go figure!

The 231HD was great for what I used it for, and eventually I installed a "Tera 2 lo" in it which put an additional range of lo for the rear wheels only (2HI, N, 4HI, 4LO, 2LO). I ran a full locker in the front 30, so this allowed me to bump into 2 around tight corners where I had too much traction to steer.

When I went buggy the 231HD was replaced with a 5:1 Atlas II (HI, N, LO - stick for either axle)- I wanted a 3 speed Stak, but the backorder was about 3 months minimum. The Atlas has been great, and once I learned to actually use the twin sticks for front digs and burning the rear end into place, its hard to use a regular tcase now!

I ended up with a 5.9 as well, which used to be a friends (PK on here). The 249 VC died at about 160,000 miles, so I hellped him swap in a 242 (2HI, 4PART TIME, 4 FULL TIME, N, 4LO). It wouldn't have been my first choice because it is a bit weaker than the 231, but to be honest, I've found that with the winters around Pittsburgh, having that "4 wheel FULL TIME" option below 2wd is great!

I'm going to be replacing the 242 in that 5.9 with the AtlasII from the buggy, but that's only because the 242 isn't strong enough to support the 1 tons I'm putting under it - and I like twin sticks

That was more a random story than anything technical, but there you have it!
    Last edited by OverkillZJ; 01-04-2011 at 10:14 AM.

12. #12 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    I'm running a 231 with an AA SYE. It's still going strong. We'll see how it holds up when I make the switch to 1 tons.

I sometimes wish that I had deeper gearing so I'm not constantly two-footing on the rocks, but at the same time, I like the stock reduction for hill climbs and such. That said, since I got my transmission rebuilt, the stock gearing isn't as bad since more torque is getting to the wheels. I'm going with deeper axle gearing with the new axles, so I'm hoping that will give me enough gearing to be happier with the stock reduction.

I've considered some sort of doubler with a 4:1 kit, so I can have 2.72:1 and 4:1 options, but since I don't have parts lying around, the cost of buying a 4:1 kit, another tcase, and a doubler kit was getting expensive enough to the point where I might as well just save up and go for a 4-speed Atlas that will probably be the last tcase I'll ever buy. My "might as well" threshold is probably a bit lower than most folks, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

13. #13 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    I broke my 231 so I swapped in a 205. It's just about bulletproof, knock on wood, and easily twinstickable, but the downside is the ratio is only 2:1. To get my desired crawl ratio, I am running a granny 4spd (np435). In an auto application, you'd need to have a rangebox in front (likely a 203) and then you might get into weight, fitment and drivetrain supporting issues. But for anyone who wants to run a manual trans, or get creative with gearing, it's great. The poor man's atlas.
    I agree on the 205.
    I ran a 203 in my Chev chassis for a while before swapping in a 205. Of course, I twin sticked the 205 before I even put it in. Very simple modification. Without front dig, wheeling would be lame. I run a Chevy 205, but the outputs are easilly interchangable with Ford, so I upgraded to a 32 spline front output. All 205 rear outputs are 32 spline (except the old 10 spline units). The only downside is the 2:1 low range, but that can be made up for in other ways. This spring I'm going from a TH350 to a 700R4 to get a little deeper gearing. LoMax 205 is another option, giving 3:1 low range.

Also, despite the "bulletproof" reputation, I watched one be broken this fall. First Low range to the rear. Then, after discovering that hi still worked, the driver decided to keep wheeling (The parts only get smaller ). At the end of the day, Hi to the rear went. Probably the shift collar. This was between a 383 stroker/ TH400 and 1 tons w/ 44" boggers.

14. #14 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406 View Post
    I agree on the 205.
    I ran a 203 in my Chev chassis for a while before swapping in a 205. Of course, I twin sticked the 205 before I even put it in. Very simple modification. Without front dig, wheeling would be lame. I run a Chevy 205, but the outputs are easilly interchangable with Ford, so I upgraded to a 32 spline front output. All 205 rear outputs are 32 spline (except the old 10 spline units). The only downside is the 2:1 low range, but that can be made up for in other ways. This spring I'm going from a TH350 to a 700R4 to get a little deeper gearing. LoMax 205 is another option, giving 3:1 low range.

Also, despite the "bulletproof" reputation, I watched one be broken this fall. First Low range to the rear. Then, after discovering that hi still worked, the driver decided to keep wheeling (The parts only get smaller ). At the end of the day, Hi to the rear went. Probably the shift collar. This was between a 383 stroker/ TH400 and 1 tons w/ 44" boggers.
    Impressive. I guess it's kind of like a hp60 ring gear. Sure once every 5 years you might break one, but it's infrequent enough to not worry about upgrading unless you are racing or have money to burn.

15. #15 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    205 is a cast iron case or alum?
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

16. #16 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeptech01 View Post
    cast iron
    No longer a JeepTech01 fan.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

And ELLLLLIOTTTTT................I think..........Yup and ELLLLLIOTTTTT.

17. #17 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    i also had the 249 in mine, swaped for a 242, then swaped with a built 231 (AA SYE, wide chain kit, 6 pinion plant., 2 lo,) wanting to throw NWF black box in between it and tranny for an extra low, in my short time wheeling ive learned that gearing is better than raw horsepower while crawling.
    No longer a JeepTech01 fan.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

And ELLLLLIOTTTTT................I think..........Yup and ELLLLLIOTTTTT.

18. #18 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeptech01 View Post
    big ass heavy cast iron

19. #19 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    I purchased a stock 242 off my friend for $50. I'm looking into a sye. I need to tear into it because he told me it would pop in and out of 4lo, but the rest of the settings worked fine.
    Originally Posted by dp96zj
    In short, JU is for mallcrawlers, MC is for people looking for answers.

20. #20 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    The stock 242-HD in the Banana has served me well. Exceptionally well as a matter of fact right up until I decided to put an SYE last year and all hell broke loose. $400 later a donor 75k mile 242 is in and I expect it'll do a good job as well (so long as I don't decide to fuck with the innards again). Thought of 231 for strength but I've never broke anything on it - though I wheel like a girl so maybe that has something to do with it - and now with the SYE my teeth are no longer shaken out of my mouth from driveline vibrations so it's all good. Plus I get to play with the lever for all kinds of nonsensical driving conditions. The only thing I wish for is that it had a bit more crawl ratio but that's a minor quip.
    Adam, 2001 Banana Boat

21. #21 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Was running a 242 with a home made "hack-n-tap" slip yoke eliminator, basically using a 27-spline CV yoke from Tom Woods. Now running a flipped 231/D300 doubler, the D300 is twin sticked using some TJ atlas shifters I was able to make work and the 231 is basically manually shifted (I crawl under the Jeep and shift it when I first get on the trail, takes all of 5 seconds) until I figure out some type of cable shifter that doesn't necessitate a hole being cut in the floor. This set up works for me as I always ran in 4-low on the trail when I had the 242 and just shifted the tranny as needed for more or less reduction, plus I don't do any high speed baja type stuff so driving over 25-30 mph on the trail in not needed. The reduction (7.12:1) and in turn the control is pretty crazy when I put the D300 in to low on technical stuff. Probably upgrading the rear output on the D300 as soon as I see a vendor do so some type of promo on a 32-spline rear output as that is definitely the weak spot when it's in double low.

Fred R.
    97 ZJ, 5" Long Arm Lift, Currie Anti-Rock, Beadlocked 35's, 231/D300 Doubler, Locked Front & Rear (Narrowed HP D44 w/ chromo shafts and Yukon Superjoints & F8.8), ARB Bull Bar & 9K winch, 1-Ton Hydro-assist steering, "Custom" body work and some other goodies...

22. #22 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Oringinally I swapped out my 249 for a 242. But I could never seem to get teh linkage setup right and ended up ruining two cases. Seems it wouldn't engage into 4wd all the way and I ended up stripping the synchros out resulting in 2wd low.

Now running a bone stock(other than a input shaft swap) 231 from an XJ. No SYE needed still running the stock shaft but have been considering a SYE just so that if I damage the rear shaft I can take out the rear drive shaft and not lose the oil.

I saw something once about someone using a t-case from a Dodge truck(I think it was a 241D not to be confused with a 241J from the Rubicon) and it bolted right in to a V8 ZJ, I've seen some that had fixed out shafts but that may have been an older passenger side drop case....
    1998 5.9er, 6" Claytons Long arm, D30(elocker), Rubi D44 rear, TJ Addco rear sway bar, WJ knuckles/brakes, 4.10s, 33s, 9.5ti

'93 ZJ LTD, 5.2L, Claytons Longarm, 8" lift D44 front(w/elocker), D60 rear(welded), 37" IROKS, 5.38s, 9.5ti<scrapped>

23. #23 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    In my 98 zj im running a 231 bolted to a aw-4 no sye or dc rear shaft. 4.88 gears with 37's.

Im running maybe 6"s of lift and 2-3"s stretch.

The 2.72 gear works well with the aw-4. Most times when crawling im in 2nd then when it gets tuff i drop down to 1st.

4 to 1 is just to low i think for east coast wheeling.

If I could have a t-case setup anyway i wanted I would have 3 to 1 with (2hi N 4low) and twin stick for front digs

24. #24 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    I'm running a 231 with 4:1 and SYE. The 4:1 is great on the rocks, too low for the trail. Put a 231/300 in my son's XJ. He loves it. It has cable shifters on the 300 and a direct shifter on the 231. Had to cut the crap out of the floor to get a flat belly pan.
    98ZJ

25. #25 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    I am running a 231 in my ZJ on 37s. So far so good. I have never needed deeper gearing but I have wanted every once in a while. I like the low weight of the aluminum cases and so far I've never had any issues. Not sure I'd want to run too much more tire on one though. I'm running the AA HD SYE.

A 3 speed t-case would nice for around here where wheel speed is so important. Something like 1:1, 2.72:1 and 4 or 5:1 would be a good combo.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information