Thread: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #26 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    I have a dewalt with the 1/2" metal chuck and key, it's a torquey mother fugger for sure! The honest truth though, I actually preferr using the 19.2 volt craftsman for 99% of everything I do, unless it just flat out doesnt have the power (hardly EVER).

The reason I like it? (besides the comfortability of a cordless), is it has a built in brake so it stops IMMEDIATELY when you let off the trigger. The dewalt spins down, and still has a shit ton of momentum behind it. I've broken 3 bits in the dewalt including a step bit because as soon as I punched through what I was drilling, I'd let off, but the bit was still spinning with some good momentum and LOVES to catch the edge of the hole you just drilled.
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

2. #27 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    BANNED Lifetime Supporter CurtP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whowey View Post
    I have a Dewalt with a keyless chuck... it is the biggest POS on the planet. The chuck never stays tight, and its a hard plastic rather than a steel chuck. It mostly sits on the shelf in the garage for when I think to buy a non-suck chuck for it.
    Replace the chuck. Jacobs makes some nice chucks that aren't too expensive. What model DeWalt? McMaster has a Jacobs chuck listings for a bunch of DeWalt drills.

3. #28 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
    Replace the chuck. Jacobs makes some nice chucks that aren't too expensive. What model DeWalt? McMaster has a Jacobs chuck listings for a bunch of DeWalt drills.

Replacing the chuck was always my plan.. But its been pretty much relegated to the shelf on the garage unless I really need the extra zoot it has over my 18v Craftsman(Ryobi) cordless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information