Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
1/2" Corded drill: What are you using?

Thread: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    It'll be used for light fab work and other projects. Thinking corded so I don't have to deal with batteries, unless cordless is strongly reccomended. I have $200 in Home Depot gift cards, so preferably something that comes from/can be ordered through them. Any suggestions?
    Think Twice Garage

2. #2 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    Senior Member it usually runs fine's Avatar
    I have had a milwaukee industrial for like 12 years and it is still awsome.
    Some girls don't like guys like me, but some girls do.

3. #3 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    I'm rocking the HF special. HF VSR, I think it was $35 or so. It's about as quiet as a freight train but it's given a couple years of great service. I am on the lookout for a good quality drill press to help take over a lot of the drilling though.

4. #4 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Sorry, not Home Depot, but check out the 4 tabs on this page: http://www.tooliday.com/

Have amazing deals on there. Bought some stuff on there a couple times with happy results so far I see drills on there regularly, normally Dewalt which I am happy with.
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

5. #5 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    I'm rocking the HF special. HF VSR, I think it was $35 or so. It's about as quiet as a freight train but it's given a couple years of great service. I am on the lookout for a good quality drill press to help take over a lot of the drilling though.
    Yup. I'd rather put the money into a good drill press than a handheld drill.

6. #6 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    GSSW Planner
    I've got a DeWalt DW130V and a Milwaukee something-or-other with1/2" chucks. The DeWalt definitely has more power but also is pretty bulky. I really don't care much for the Milwaukee for every day use as it's pretty heavy and offers no real advantage over any of the 3/8" chuck drills I have, except on the rare occasion I need the extra power and the DeWalt is too cumbersome. If you're looking at household and light fab use do you really need the bigger chuck? I don't do a lot of fab work so can't really say how much of a bonus it is in that capacity, but i do a ton of woodworking and home improvement type stuff and don't often need the larger chuck- pretty much only when I'm using a paint/mortar mixing bit or a large auger bit for running plumbing or electrical. The added weight of the larger drills may not seem like much, but it can be a real nuisance when you're working in an awkward position etc., and you don't usually need the extra power. You might find a high quality 3/8" drill more versatile and thus more useful, and with the $$ you save you can get yourself a nice bit set too.

Now if you want to talk drill presses, I've got a powermatic pm2800 and that thing is tits
    Last edited by FearTheDentist; 12-28-2010 at 12:44 AM.
    2004 WJ 60\14b ARB\lockrite 37" Nitto mud grapplers

Quote Originally Posted by SuicideTireZJ View Post
    If there's one thing I like more than Moab and Grand Cherokees, it's a little boy on boy action.

7. #7 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    You absolutely need a chuck bigger than 3/8" for any kind of mild fab. Half the drilling I do is 7/16" or larger and reduced shank bits get expensive. But I agree that plain old 3/8" is plenty for happy homeowner stuff.

8. #8 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    I have a DeWalt. Got a solid 5+ years on it so far.

9. #9 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    Makita Model 6302 / compact, powerful / bought it several years ago

I also have a Delta 17-900 1/2" 12-Speed Drill Press (floor stand style)

edit: added link --> http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/...ls.aspx?ID=345

Last edited by Sudz; 12-28-2010 at 11:25 AM.
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

10. #10 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    Another vote of Milwaukee drills. My corded drills are all Milwaukee and have a ton of power. I left one outside in the garden after working on the fence and thought I lost it. 3 months later I found it. Still works great, even after watering every three days and dirt in it.

Honestly I have had good luck with cheaper power tools but not with ultra cheap power tools. Ryobi makes a 1/2 inch drill that is ok but no Milwaukee or DeWalt. You might be able to get a drill and a compact drill press for a little over 200 bucks at Homers. But if you plan to use them a lot then pony up.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

11. #11 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    I have this: http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...px?pid=1199VSR

Its a dual mode hammer drill so it kills two birds sort of thing. This thing will snatch your ass up and flip you on your head. Its kind of scary, and seriously will hurt you if your not carefull.

DeWalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, Maketa, investment tool quality.

12. #12 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    Looks like Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita are all on the same playing field. Any reason to avoid a hammer drill? From my understanding, it looks like it's no benefit in fabrication, but may be helpful in homeowner use (probably a couple years off for me, but still something I want to keep in mind.)
    Think Twice Garage

13. #13 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    BANNED Lifetime Supporter CurtP's Avatar
    If you have a pawn shop near you, check to see what they have. I've found some really nice power tools at the pawn shop for next to nothing. I've sometimes had to do some maintenance on them, but usually nothing more than replacing the brushes.

14. #14 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    Quote Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
    Looks like Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita are all on the same playing field. Any reason to avoid a hammer drill? From my understanding, it looks like it's no benefit in fabrication, but may be helpful in homeowner use (probably a couple years off for me, but still something I want to keep in mind.)

My Bosch (above pic) is "dual mode". It has straight drill, and hammer drill mode. Its like two for the price of one.

15. #15 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    GSSW Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn WJ View Post
    Another vote of Milwaukee drills....Still works great, even after watering every three days and dirt in it.
    I've got a Milwaukee right angle drill I dropped in a slat water fish tank (doh!) that's still with me. I rinsed it in a bucket of water for a few minutes, sprayed it thoroughly w\ some WD40 and left it in the Az sun for a few days, 3 years later it still works great I may not use the 1\2" one much, but there's no arguing with the quality of their stuff.

If there's one thing I like more than Moab and Grand Cherokees, it's a little boy on boy action.

16. #16 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    I think its kind of up to your intended use. A cordless drill is tough to beat for all around handy-ness, then a corded drill is kind of necessary if you find yourself doing any masonry type stuff (lag bolts, mounting benders, yadda), and if you're talking a lot of fab, suspension brackets, tabs, brackets, etc, you'll probably be happiest with a drillpress.

My dad and I have both had great results with dewalt cordless drills and our craftsman drillpress is going strong after 14 years of decent use. Corded drills is another story, we've had OK results with dewalt corded drills, i bought him that nice bosch posted up a ways which actually didn't last that long (despite being a fucking monster....bent a 9/16" drill bit with it, almost broke my wrist), but he most recently bought something more hammer-drill oriented since most of the work we used the corded drill for was masonry/hammerdrill type applications.

17. #17 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    Quote Originally Posted by FearTheDentist View Post
    I've got a Milwaukee right angle drill I dropped in a slat water fish tank (doh!) that's still with me. I rinsed it in a bucket of water for a few minutes, sprayed it thoroughly w\ some WD40 and left it in the Az sun for a few days, 3 years later it still works great I may not use the 1\2" one much, but there's no arguing with the quality of their stuff.

What were you trying to do to the Fish that made you drop it in the water?
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

18. #18 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    GSSW Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn WJ View Post
    What were you trying to do to the Fish that made you drop it in the water?
    Uhhhh...35%

Actually I was adding a couple of hard-plumbed jets to the back of the tank (in a reef tank more turbulence = gooder). Transferring the critters is a good way to stress them, especially corals, so just drained the tank about 60% so I could work above the water line, then promptly dropped my drill in. F'n brilliant.

19. #19 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    And you say were trying not to stress the fish out. Interesting way of going about it.

20. #20 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    I rock a Black and Decker it was like 30 bucks lol. I also have a Millport though lol.
    1999 Wj Laredo stock as a rock - smashed

83 F150 SAS- Under construction

1995 Limited, 223k, The Great Pumpkin

21. #21 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

22. #22 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    I have a 3/8 and 1/2 dewalt and neither has given me any hassle. I like having both. Use the 3/8 when I can as it is lighter and better balanced. 1/2 when I have to.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

23. #23 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    I ended up going with the Milwaukee Magnum in 1/2" and a Milwaukee 12A corded sawzall. Used both over the weekend and I am definitely pleased with the purchase.
    Think Twice Garage

24. #24 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    I have a Dewalt with a keyless chuck... it is the biggest POS on the planet. The chuck never stays tight, and its a hard plastic rather than a steel chuck. It mostly sits on the shelf in the garage for when I think to buy a non-suck chuck for it.

25. #25 Re: 1/2" Corded drill: What are you using? 
    I also have a Dewalt 1/2" but mine has the metal chuck with key. I love it. It has all the power and torque at low speeds that I could ever ask for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information