Thread: Grand Slam Midwest 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    Badlands? You tell me where you want GSMW this year.

Alright guys, I guess I'm going to take on the challenge of setting up GSMW this year. I don't want the Midwest guys to get cheated out of a group event again this year. I am originally from Indiana and always travel back for this event. It will be a little tricky to organize from 550 miles away, but I'll make it work. I'm looking right now for a time frame in which to have the event. I think mid-fall would be better than the Memorial Day weekend it has been in the past. With the indy 500 going on and unpredictable weather during that time of year, fall looks good to me. Besides that, GSMW needs a whole new game plan. It started off strong, and has faded in attendance, and organization. Of course there will be t-shirts for sale, and I'm also leaning towards an awards ceremony with trophies for different accomplishments or disasters that happened during the ride. Most of the previous events came with complaints of everyone just running trails at random and no one knew where the other groups were. I’d like to keep the groups together with mandatory drivers meetings twice a day. This will give everyone a chance to get organized and know what trails are going to be run, by what groups. This way if and when you have to run back to the camp ground to work on your rig, you’ll be able to jump right into the action with the rest of the group. Most of the time we had a group supper back at the camp ground. I may change that to all of us going somewhere in the neighboring area out to eat Saturday night. I have a bunch of ideas floating around and this should be an event to remember.

I am open to all ideas and would encourage all of the attendees to let me know what they want. I would like to get some sponsors for some prizes to be given away. Parts, gear, swag, ect, would be great. I will need some help to get everything in order. It’s your event. Let me know how you want it. I will welcome all ideas, and help we can get.

I will update this thread when new news comes available.

Thanks,

Jim Bailey
    I'm still waiting on the inexpensive shit to break!!!

'02 WJ with 60's, locked, full hydo, ORI's, on 40's, and still have air conditioning!

2. #2 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    What are options other than the Badlands? I've been wanting to go there, but I also am not aware of other options. I don't know if I'll make it out this year, but I definitely want to make it out at some point -- especially since it should be a relative easy drive.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 12-15-2010 at 03:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

3. #3 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    Hmmmm. Badlands isn't that far from me and I have wanted to ride there for a while. Depending on when it is I may be able to make it. I like the mid fall idea.

Good luck Jim.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

4. #4 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    What are options other than the Badlands? I don't know if I'll make it out this year, but I definitely want to make it out at some point -- especially since it should be a relative easy drive.
    Jared,

There are a few other spots in IN, IL, MO, but I don't know how much attendance we would have. The Badlands has always been a great place to ride in Indiana. It's close enough to Illinios to pull riders from there. I think the reason it's always been the Badlands is because of the diversity of terrain and a Jeep on 32-33" tires doesn't get stuck watching half the day. I want to get the planning done early, so everyone can schedule the days on the calender. I look for some other options and throw them out and you guys tell me what you want.
    Last edited by indy242003; 12-15-2010 at 03:44 PM.

'02 WJ with 60's, locked, full hydo, ORI's, on 40's, and still have air conditioning!

5. #5 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    Quote Originally Posted by rstrucks View Post
    Hmmmm. Badlands isn't that far from me and I have wanted to ride there for a while. Depending on when it is I may be able to make it. I like the mid fall idea.

Good luck Jim.
    Ryan,

I'll let you know solid dates as soon as I talk with the parks and check with the event schedule they have. I'm going to check into some other options as well. Wheelin' in the Badlands in the summer time is brutal! I'n the rock quarry, dusty as hell, smoldering in the heat, with no wind, makes for a miserable time.

6. #6 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    Quote Originally Posted by indy242003 View Post
    Jared,

There are a few other spots in IN, IL, MO, but I don't know how much attendance we would have. The Badlands has always been a great place to ride in Indiana. It's close enough to Illinios to pull riders from there. I think the reason it's always been the Badlands is because of the diversity of terrain and a Jeep on 32-33" tires doesn't get stuck watching half the day. I want to get the planning done early, so everyone can schedule the days on the calender. I look for some other options and throw them out and you guys tell me what you want.
    This. IMO, the Badlands are the best place I know of for the diversity in our rigs, especially if we're going for big attendance numbers to get this thing going again. They have trails and obstacles for every level of rig, and a lot of diverse terrain between the quarry and all of the trails that run through the woods (and some sand dunes). Even on the easy trails, there are usually harder obstacles close by. I've been there and had fun in anything from stockers to buggies. Plus, it's only 45 minutes from me

Of course, if anybody has any better ideas location-wise I would be there, too. I like the idea of early to mid fall. The weather is usually pretty nice from September through mid October.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

7. #7 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    Wheelin' in the Badlands in the summer time is brutal! I'n the rock quarry, dusty as hell, smoldering in the heat, with no wind, makes for a miserable time.
    This, too. The quarry isn't much fun from mid June through most of August.
    scrotum.

8. #8 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    There's getting to be a number of private parks up here in MI. Mostly on the north end of the lower peninsula. Twisted Trails hasw been hosting a number of events over the last couple years and Rocks and Valleys has an awesome trail system in place with enough major obsticles for the bigger guys. They both can handle several hundred rigs and tow rigs/trailers..... But I really love the Badlands as well.- just not in the middle of summer...
    '93 ZJ 42's, locked ton's, full-hydro, 5.38's 231, 8 pissed off squirrels- always looking to go bigger.....

9. #9 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    Well with all the responses I've been getting from people. I'm set on the Badlands for this year. I have emailed them on the best times for us to have it in October.

10. #10 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    Sweet. Thanks for taking the initiative on this! Hopefully I'll still have the ZJ by the time this rolls around.

Speaking of that, open to all or aiming for Grands only?
    scrotum.

11. #11 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    Nice! Keep us posted, Jim. October should be a perfect time to make the trip.

I was watching some of Overkill's old videos from the Badlands, so I know I'll find ways to keep me entertained
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

12. #12 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    badlands in oct. sounds good to me.
    93ish zj, d60s, 38.5 maxxis, and a bunch of other expensive parts to make them work.

Truck stacks, for when your trucks nuts are just not gay enough anymore.

13. #13 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    Sweet. Thanks for taking the initiative on this! Hopefully I'll still have the ZJ by the time this rolls around.

Speaking of that, open to all or aiming for Grands only?

No worries on the "Grand" requirement. We have always been loose on that and I have a problem denying anyone who wants to ride with us.

SirFuego & Slim616 glad to have you coming. It will good to see you guys again.

14. #14 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    I was just at the badlands about a month ago, and I have to say it is still probably one of the best for the stock to mild and has just enough to keep the highly modded from being to bored.

The fall sounds like it should be the best time also, As said earlier the weather is horrible during the early to mid spring esp for wheeling out there.

With that said I Am still not sure if I can make it, due to having a baby on the way in march - the money will be slim and the jeep still needs body protection before any serious wheelin. But I am really going to try for this year plus we need to get GSMW back up and going strong with more of our mallcrawlers new and old.
    98 slate 5.9
    Rolled-rebuilding/upgrading.

15. #15 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    Well with all the responses I've been getting from people. I'm set on the Badlands for this year. I have emailed them on the best times for us to have it in October.
    Just saw this. October is perfect, good call. Nice weather and right in between "family" trips to Va for Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Chances are pretty good that I'll be there.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

16. #16 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    I normally try to stockpile vacation days so getting time off would never be a problem, but we are getting paid out for our vacation and I'm basically "starting over" with my vacation accruals. Sure, it'll be a nice check, but with a wedding and honeymoon planned for May and August, respectively, I don't know at this point if I'll have accrued enuogh time to make it out.

EDIT: I'm going to suggest the weekend of Oct 15-16, since I can't do the 8-9 weekend. Any weekend after that should be good for me, too.

Ryan -- how far north in VA are you going? Maybe we could convert your "family" trip into a Rausch Creek trip
    Last edited by SirFuego; 01-05-2011 at 09:01 PM.
    Robot

17. #17 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    I'd be down for badlands. Very interested

18. #18 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    Do we have a date picked out yet for this? I am going to make it but would like to find out what dates so i can put them in before somebody else at work takes those days. I think the badlands would be a great place to go for everyone to have a good time.

19. #19 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilmudder View Post
    Do we have a date picked out yet for this? I am going to make it but would like to find out what dates so i can put them in before somebody else at work takes those days. I think the badlands would be a great place to go for everyone to have a good time.
    I will post a poll as to what weekend in October you guys want it. The park did not return my email when I asked. So, I guess we will decide.

20. #20 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    early oct. so we don't mess with hunting season here.
    93ish zj, d60s, 38.5 maxxis, and a bunch of other expensive parts to make them work.

Truck stacks, for when your trucks nuts are just not gay enough anymore.

21. #21 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    Quote Originally Posted by slim616 View Post
    early oct. so we don't mess with hunting season here.

Yep. I hear ya! I'm with you!

22. #22 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    count me in!
    96 zj 4.0, front IRO long arms,rear RE super flex, lockers, winch, armor, cage, 35's

23. #23 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 

24. #24 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    So has a date been set as of yet? I am planning on being in MI in Oct. But the 8th is already booked, I will be in Toledo.

Tim
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited "Casper" 5.2: stock for now

25. #25 Re: Grand Slam Midwest 2011 
    I am there! hoping to have all my upgrades done by then!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information