Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

TOTM: Bumpers/body protection

Thread: TOTM: Bumpers/body protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 TOTM: Bumpers/body protection 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    Stock sucks, what works better? Build or buy? How did you do your rocker cutouts? Materials used?

As always, pictures help.
    Last edited by rstrucks; 04-04-2011 at 09:41 AM.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

2. #2 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    Ill post up my pictures starting tomorrow when I cut into the rockers. I will be using 2x4 .25 wall for the main and 2x2 .25 wall for the kicker very similiar to the KOR design just pushed out a tad more 1x1 .25 wall to tie into the uni frame after its plated in 3/16 where the 1x1 will tie in 3/16 will then be welded over that to smooth it out and prevent hang ups

as for other protection I have 3/16 rear armor (still need to add backing plates)

for belly protection I'm using the IRO belly skid
    Last edited by biggoofy; 12-03-2010 at 01:42 AM.
    93 ZJ long arms, 35's, F/R Long arms, 4.56 gears, and a bunch more
    98 5.9 slate gray 4" lift with stuff (sold)
    96 ZJ Lift, Long arms, 35's and a bunch of other shit! (RIP)
    [ IRONMAN 4X4 FAB ] [ RACELINE WHEELS]

3. #3 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    Ill play.

Using Rocky Road Sliders
    I know people think the company is butt but their sliders are tits

ARB Front Bumper
    Its fine for what it is. Kinda a Crummy design, need to pull to much with the winch. Hurts approach angle. I plan on going with a tube/plate for light weight.
    4" lift 31's

I got the KOR Tcase skid
    Will

99 4.0 DubJ 35"MTRs/ Custom IRO LA's/ Currie 9" housing/ Yukon 4.88 Gears 35 spline Grizzly Rear Lockers and ARB Front.

The Hookup Build http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12701

4. #4 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    Built a front bumper for a winch out of 2x4 .120 and a pre bent 1/4" sheet to use as the base for the winch. Alot cheaper than buying one! Don't have recent pic of it being complete (capped and D ringed) Maybe tomorrow I'll take one.
    Last edited by zj-on-the-rocks; 12-03-2010 at 02:55 AM. Reason: image was a "no show"

OlllllllllllllO

5. #5 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 5.9 ANDY's Avatar
    got any more info on those rear quater panel renforcement?
    proud Lance Corporal in the Unted States Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post

This website is bad for the health of your vehicles, enjoy your stay

6. #6 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    There isn't really much more to it than you can see. I will be making countoured backing plates that should brace it up very well if i ever really smack them aside from that I will also be using pan head bolts here soon instead of the standard bolts to prevent the heads of them from being sheared off by rocks. I would have liked them to have been 1/4" but they should be fine at 3/16 for the price I paid I couldn't pass it up.
    Last edited by biggoofy; 12-04-2010 at 02:00 AM.

7. #7 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    Front bumper

Bumper brackets

Modified for winch

Fender protection and rocker skids

I used 1/8 and 3/16" plate for the bumpers. For the rockers I used .120 square tube plated with 1/8" on the front surface and a 3/16" wall rub rail that has held up well. It has plenty of scrapes on it but no dents. The fender protection is .120 wall. My gas tank skid and t-case skid are from Rusty's. Everything has held up well so far.....
    Last edited by rstrucks; 12-03-2010 at 11:08 AM.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

8. #8 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    Quote Originally Posted by rstrucks View Post
    Stock sucks, what works better? Build or buy? How did you do your rocker cutouts? Materials used?

As always, pictures help.
    Yes, the stock, plastic bumpers, suck butt. The first thing I did when I got my ZJ was remove them, front and rear. That alone made a lot more room for tire clearence. I looked around on the internet for some real bumpers front and rear. I then realized how expensive they are to buy pre made with all the brackets and everything. So first I went out bought a cheap welder and tube bender and then went the route of buying some 2x4 rectangular steel and tubing and built my own. The steel was around $150 for all of it, I even have some extra to build my sliders. Anyways I've just found it to be a lot cheaper to build your own. In addition of it being cheaper its a lot of fun and rewarding to work on your jeep yourself and make it your own. Thats just my experience.
    Last edited by xj-to-zj; 12-03-2010 at 12:08 PM.
    1996 ZJ: About 5 inches of lift, 33x12.50 on Cragar Soft 8's, K&N, NP 231 (needs to be installed) and some cut up fenders... work in progress

9. #9 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    I don't know what I have for pictures, I will have to look later. Pretty much all of my armor is bolt on stuff though.

Sliders - JCR. Local to me and a great product, no real complaints but don't necessarily think they are anything better than most of what else is out there
    T-Case - KOR HD X-Member. It is just okay. It was a bitch to get it to line up right and I bent the hell out of the rear arm on it without much effort. KOR is well aware of the problem (I'm not the only one who's mangled this arm) but as far as I know hasn't changed the design any. Honestly I would not buy this again, I originally had intended to have JCR make me something but I found a good deal on the KOR HD X-Member second hand

10. #10 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    Quote Originally Posted by biggoofy View Post
    There isn't really much more to it than you can see. I will be making countoured backing plates that should brace it up very well if i ever really smack them aside from that I will also be using pan head bolts here soon instead of the standard bolts to prevent the heads of them from being sheared off by rocks. I would have liked them to have been 1/2" but they should be fine at 3/16 for the price I paid I couldn't pass it up.
    1/2"? Holy extra weight for no reason. If you're having that much trouble wheeling that you need 1/2" on the sides of your jeep, it might be time to retake driver's ed.
    Think Twice Garage

11. #11 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    Cut out rockers and beginning of boatside

Door sill gone too, I welded the inner (2") tube to the pinch seam for the entire length

Underside (more support to be added):

The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

12. #12 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    Rear bumper build

Hacked out the rear sheetmetal bumper and a ton of extra material under the tail lights

Plate beginnings

And a hitch

The Blue Submarine

RIDE!”

13. #13 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    I took a crash course in welding and fabricating junk and I did my first bumper, its 3/16th if IRC, and it was scrap we had laying around the ranch. Pics now
    brackets... they weigh a good 10lbs easy, I'm looking into making it lighter for next time

sorry no assembly pics

It held the weight of the Jeep well. I've gone back and redone all the welds, since they sucked bad.

The plan is to try and figure a way to mount a winch, and add a clevis. Ill more than likely add a BTF clevis mount. I'm open to ideas and comment by all means. I want to look into putting a few holes to reduce the weight a tad.
    Originally Posted by dp96zj
    In short, JU is for mallcrawlers, MC is for people looking for answers.

14. #14 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    If you've got the tools, building things yourself is definately the way to go. My bumpers cost about $120 each in steel to build as opposed to the $800 or so that most bumpers cost. Front bumper is made with 5" channel and 3/16" plate. For the rear bumper, the mounts are 2x4, the main part of the bumper is 4x4, and the sides/corners are 5" channel and 3/16" plate. I also cut up my tow hitch and integrated it into the rear bumper. For other armor I've got the Clayton's belly skid and KOR rock sliders.
    Pics:
    front bumper

rear bumper
    mounts

in progress

tow hitch

complete

belly skid

15. #15 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    I originally had a pair of tomken bumpers, and was happey with them, not the prettiest, but they were steel. I like being able to ad a tire carrier to the rear bumper, that was important. I eventually sold them, and built my own custom bumpers, then sold them aswell, buecause they were way too heavy. I now have a ultra light rear "bumper" that I was able to lift overhead with one hand. In the end, I am very glad I went with a smaller, tighter, and much lighter bumper. The jeep handles alot better after dropping all that weight.

A couple obvious but sometimes overlooked points:

~High clearance at whatever cost. Cust as much as you are comfortable with, then cut a bit more. In the end you will be happy that you have the added clearance and space.

~Engineered strength> brute strength
    We alll know a 2/2 1/4" wall slider will be very hard to bend, but designing a slider or bumper with additional gussets in key points will help ad strength, and allow for thinner material.
    Again, the weight decrease is apreciated later
    Last edited by FortCollinsZJ; 12-03-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    Neil R.

93 318 ZJ, HP30, 8.8, 4.56, 35"s, tube.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    WTF? A unibody won? Did they build a mall at the finish line or something?

Funniest thread on MC

16. #16 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    I must say a plasma cutter is the way to go when doing a boat side saved me a few hours at least. What really takes a lot of time is cutting and reshaping the A and C pillars then re-welding them **** that thin *** sheet metal.

first cut was with a sawsall to oper her up and take a look

C pillar after being cut and modified

A pillar during cutting and rework

view after 90% of the cutting they are cut as high as i can go with out cutting the doors or floor pans

A,B, and C brackets welded in

2X4 welded in and painted sorry for the ****ty pic

2x4 welded into the A pillar bracket

2x4 welded into the B pillar bracket

2x4 welded into the C pillar bracket
    Last edited by biggoofy; 12-06-2010 at 09:19 AM.

17. #17 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    Just an idea: don't double post the stuff from your build thread into here. I'm sure the general consensus would agree that you post the entire process in your build thread; then simply post in here with your final product, a few "work in progress" pics, and a link to your build thread. That way there's a lot less excess "stuff" in this thread.

To keep this on track, some of you guys have built multiple bumpers (mainly fronts) over the years, and usually the latter designs are "smarter" and lighter. What recommendations would you give to someone who is just starting to work on their first bumper? Any designs to recommend or ignore? My personal favorite
    Last edited by dp96zj; 12-05-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33
    Its a jeep, it doesn't have to make sense.

18. #18 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    It is hard to decide how you want the bumper to look until it is on the rig. My advice is to design strong brackets and install them on the rig then build off them so you can see everything take shape.
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

19. #19 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    Haha we all gotta start somewhere eh? The second revision was a little better!

I think the building of the protection is good to include, so as people find the thread while searching for ideas, they will see everything about the project they are going to tackle, inside and out.
    The Blue Submarine

RIDE!”

20. #20 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    Quote Originally Posted by dp96zj View Post
    Holy HUGE bumper

I don't think I've ever seen this.
    I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

21. #21 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    Hahaha don't be dissin on my tank killer! One of my first fab projects evar, and it never let me down. Had a better approach angle than anything out there though
    The Blue Submarine

RIDE!”

22. #22 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    When using box steel inside the uni for bumper brackets do you cut the box in half weld in nuts then weld box back together? Or drill holes bigger then nuts and fill gaps w weld? I'm thinking option a. But haven't seen the process and all pics can't see weld putting box back together.

For the rear is it best to use box in uni AND beneath where stock hitch is bolted? Sandwich the bottom section of uni?

AgitatedPancake did you just cap the pillars beneath rockers? Did you cut the bottom seam of the doors and reweld? Build thread?
    93 ZJ 5.2.headersCAImoparPCMmsd,boredTB,efan, custom ugly bumper,KOR tb radsup,242, 5.5 lift Claytons LAs front adj SA's rear, d44 aussie locked, danaturdy w lockright, 35s
    Bloody box addict

23. #23 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbeer View Post
    When using box steel inside the uni for bumper brackets do you cut the box in half weld in nuts then weld box back together? Or drill holes bigger then nuts and fill gaps w weld? I'm thinking option a. But haven't seen the process and all pics can't see weld putting box back together.

For the rear is it best to use box in uni AND beneath where stock hitch is bolted? Sandwich the bottom section of uni?

AgitatedPancake did you just cap the pillars beneath rockers? Did you cut the bottom seam of the doors and reweld? Build thread?
    niether, drilling through the framerail and the box steel itself and than sandwiching with steel plate worked for me.

Since the my frame rails were gone from the 6" forward from the back, for my rear bumper i opted too drill right through the floor and sandwich it between the box steel and some very large 1/4 plate. Its held up so far.
    2005 Ford F150 STX 4.6L Auto Daily / Tow Pig
    1996 Jeep GC Laredo 4.0L Auto Mud toy / wrench slut

24. #24 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    Make a nut strip and slide it into the tube then drill two holes and rosette weld the strip into the box tube. Or if the tube is thick enough you could drill and tap it.
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

25. #25 Re: TOTM: December - bumpers/body protection 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeptech01 View Post
    Make a nut strip and slide it into the tube then drill two holes and rosette weld the strip into the box tube. Or if the tube is thick enough you could drill and tap it.

That is exactly what I was not thinking of thanks
    93 ZJ 5.2.headersCAImoparPCMmsd,boredTB,efan, custom ugly bumper,KOR tb radsup,242, 5.5 lift Claytons LAs front adj SA's rear, d44 aussie locked, danaturdy w lockright, 35s
    Bloody box addict

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread Information