Thread: Which Bedliner?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #26 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Yes, it's very thick in the passenger footwells and rear cargo area. I had 2 gallons, and realized it was way too much. The drivers feet area and the cargo area had 4 coats, versus 3 coats in the other footwells, versus 2 under the seats/side areas.

I don't have any pics of the Rhinoliner, but comparing the thickness of it to the thickness that I applied in my ZJ doesn't compare at all. The Rhinoliner was installed at the dealership immediately after purchase. The exposed factory paint area looked to have no prep on it at all for the Rhinoliner. I would have to imagine that had a large factor in the easy scratching, but there still is hardly any thickness at all in the Rhinolining.

Edit- Rereading your post again, there was absolutely no way that the Rhinolining was 1/8-1/4 thick at all.
    Last edited by blackjack12982; 03-21-2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: forgot something

2. #27 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Dealer screw up, then. I think the average installed thickness for a regular coating of Rhino is around 1/8".
    Krash80: And my trailer weighs 8,000 lbs empty.
    CurtP: What does your house have to do with any of this?

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.
    ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

3. #28 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanA View Post
    Dealer screw up, then. I think the average installed thickness for a regular coating of Rhino is around 1/8".
    Yeah, that's what we thought too. I wonder how many people get that kind of shoddy bedlining?

4. #29 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    I actually contacted Monstaliner with a few questions/concerns. How did the Monstaliner hold the heat down in the cab? I've come to the conclusion that if the heat becomes a factor with my Herculiner job I'll be sanding it a bit and applying Monstaliner on top of it.
    Shove it.

5. #30 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    What did Monstaliner have to say?

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.
    ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

6. #31 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Quote Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
    I actually contacted Monstaliner with a few questions/concerns. How did the Monstaliner hold the heat down in the cab? I've come to the conclusion that if the heat becomes a factor with my Herculiner job I'll be sanding it a bit and applying Monstaliner on top of it.
    It never even occured to me before I read this thread about the risk in increasing the heat inside the cab, and I was pretty worried about it as I installed it. It was mid 70's yesterday, and I drove down the interstate for a little over an hour. I was able to place my hand on the tranny tunnel, and could tell it was warmer than with the carpet, but it wasn't nearly as bad as others have said their bedliners were. By no means would it scald your legs if you touched it. I'll definitely keep an eye on it as it gets hotter outside.

7. #32 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    my first DIY liner, duplicolor I believe, would literally allow the heat from the tranny tunnel to burn your leg.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

8. #33 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanA View Post
    my first DIY liner, duplicolor I believe, would literally allow the heat from the tranny tunnel to burn your leg.
    Yeah, like I said, I saw this thread right before I applied it, and it's one of the reasons that I applied it so thick/so many coats over the tranny tunnel. I'm definitely glad I did, there's no way I would live with burning my legs everytime I drove anywhere.

9. #34 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Monstaliner said (if my memory serves me right) that they weren't sure how it would reduce the heat but said that the Lizard Skin wouldn't be the best thing to apply before applying a bed coating. However, they did say that if my Herculiner doesn't do it for me I can sand a little of it and apply the Monstaliner on top.

Personally...I think this is a try and see what happens situation. There are not enough ZJ, WJ, XJ write ups to support a solid 100% conclusion. So I'm going to apply the Herculiner as best as I can and see how the heat is. If it's bad I'll apply Monstaliner if it's not bad I'll leave it be. Had I heard about Monstaliner before Herc I would have bought the Monsta.

I'll log on to MC through my place of employment and post the e-mail they sent me back. He said it was a good question and was going into the FAQ.
    Shove it.

10. #35 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    I think my raptor liner made a significant difference in the interior heat but honestly I think the thickness makes a difference when sprayed inside the pass compartment more than the media. Now if you sprayed the undercarriage reflective properties come into play at that point.
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

11. #36 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    I just bought a roll of that reflective insulation you can get from any hardware store and cut it to fit around the transmission tunnel. That worked wonders at keeping the heat down -- although it's not exactly the most eye-pleasing solution. Although you could probably figure out a way to cover it without it looking purely functional.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

12. #37 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Quote Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
    Monstaliner said (if my memory serves me right) that they weren't sure how it would reduce the heat but said that the Lizard Skin wouldn't be the best thing to apply before applying a bed coating. However, they did say that if my Herculiner doesn't do it for me I can sand a little of it and apply the Monstaliner on top.

Personally...I think this is a try and see what happens situation. There are not enough ZJ, WJ, XJ write ups to support a solid 100% conclusion. So I'm going to apply the Herculiner as best as I can and see how the heat is. If it's bad I'll apply Monstaliner if it's not bad I'll leave it be. Had I heard about Monstaliner before Herc I would have bought the Monsta.

I'll log on to MC through my place of employment and post the e-mail they sent me back. He said it was a good question and was going into the FAQ.
    No offense, but I would take what Monstaliner had to say about using competitor's products with a grain of salt. That's like asking a Chevy dealer to tell you why NOT to buy a Ford.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

13. #38 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Here you go to better/further explain and understand what was conversed. My original question concerned heat and sound...

Hi

Heat and sound dampening are mainly conquered with film thickness. Anything you put between the heat or noise source will do something to reduce them but the thicker you go the more effective it becomes.

Lizard skin probably does better by itself than any DIY bedliner. Part of the reason it may be better for sound is that it's recommended to be applied thicker than most DIY bed liners. It's also quite expensive for the coverage recommended. I've played with Lizardskin. It's almost like peanut butter in consistency. Basically a latex paint with a lot of filler. The filler is a light weight, hollow ceramic particle and because it's basically filled with air it may be better in dissipating heat/sound but I still think it's more a function of thicker is better

Raptor will be no different than any other DIY liner as it is thin and has no special fillers or ceramic.

Monstaliner has a solid ceramic filler more for durability and abrasion resistance and because it's designed to go on thicker than other DIY products it will do better for sound dampening. It does shield some heat and withstands heat very well.

Herculiner in reality, is a very thin coating that appears thicker than it really is because the rubber particles are much larger than the thickness of the coating and they stand way above the coating surface when it's dry.

I would use the Herc you already have and consider adding additional coats of something when you see/hear the results.

Today was your lucky day as I don't usually write this much but it was a great question that I'm using for an updated FAQ

I hope this helped.

Regards
    Eric

Eric Rosenthal
    President & Technical Director
    631.842.7700 - Ext 100
    Cell: 516.313.7865
    www.magnetpaints.com

www.monstaliner.com

More detail about Lizard Skin:

A few have asked if Lizardskin could be installed first and I think yes. The problem with doing that is the Lizard stuff stays relatively soft and pliable for quite some time (months) before it really hardens well and if you put a bedliner over that on a walkable surface it may dent and is kind of unpredictable regarding long term durability.

I don't think Liz Skin was designed to be walkable by itself as it's usually used under carpet or on the back of body panels and in concealed areas. People use it as alternate to Dynomat
    Last edited by FleshEater; 03-23-2011 at 07:46 AM.
    Shove it.

14. #39 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Just for FYI .
    There are drain plugs in the front pans of a ZJ.
    They are oval in shape and glued in.
    You can use the same replacement rubber plug for a TJ rear passenger drain whole.
    The ZJ rear seat pans have 2 plugs each.
    I have a thread on this somewhere on this site.
    I got the plugs off ebay for 2 each. Drains fine

15. #40 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Quote Originally Posted by JINX View Post
    Just for FYI .
    There are drain plugs in the front pans of a ZJ.
    They are oval in shape and glued in.
    You can use the same replacement rubber plug for a TJ rear passenger drain whole.
    The ZJ rear seat pans have 2 plugs each.
    I have a thread on this somewhere on this site.
    I got the plugs off ebay for 2 each. Drains fine
    Wow, I wish I would've known that before I coated them over. I looked and didn't see any that were blatantly obvious. I was gonna source a set of marine plugs.
    Robert

94 ZJ 5.5" and 35" KM2's...

47 CJ2A

16. #41 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Quote Originally Posted by blackjack12982 View Post
    Wow, I wish I would've known that before I coated them over. I looked and didn't see any that were blatantly obvious. I was gonna source a set of marine plugs.
    I believe they're beneath the glue/insulation crap that comes from the factory. Unless you removed that prior to coating, you'd never have seen them.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

17. #42 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    I removed the carpet/insulation underneath it. I also removed the foam that was on the firewall in the footwells, however, I didn't remove the glued on body color painted "whatever". I've read the horror stories of trying to remove that gummy mess.
    Robert

94 ZJ 5.5" and 35" KM2's...

47 CJ2A

18. #43 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Yeah I didn't bother with it, either.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

19. #44 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    The oval shape plugs are almost right in the middle of each section of floor pan. They are glued down but a heat gun and a small sturdy scraper pulls them right up with no problem.
    They have clips on either end that you have to bend in. But nothing difficult.
    Here is the link to the replacement ones. They fit right in. Very cheap compared to the dealer $8.00 version.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Swap-...Q5fAccessories

20. #45 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Has anyone removed the insulation glued or welded (no idea what this stuff is) to the floor of their ZJ or WJ? I'm not sure if the XJ and TJ guys have this stuff but I know the WJ does. It's all over the bare metal floor in squares with a bubbly top...I believe I read it's a "tar" like material.

Just trying to figure out whether or not it's worth trying to tear out or just leave it and deal with it.

Also, when you guys were rolling the bed liner on how did you plug the bolt holes? The instructions suggest shoving tape down in there but I'm not to sure of using that method...I was thinking of just leaving the bolts in their holes and taping around them in a square.

Also decided to buy another Herculiner kit and install both...I'll let you know how it holds the heat/road noise out.
    Shove it.

21. #46 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    1. Yes... it's been covered more than a few times on here.
    2. tape works great for the bolt holes, don't over-complicate this.

Search, and you shall find.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

22. #47 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Sorry...found it after a couple searches.

After reading I don't think it's worth the effort to remove it and it's a foam sealer to stop moisture from creeping through the floor welds so in PA it's probably a good idea to leave it.
    Shove it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information