Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Which Bedliner?

Thread: Which Bedliner?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Which Bedliner? 
    So I HAVE used the search bar about this topic but all of the info is kinda old.

I am at the stage of taking my cladding off, grinding tabs, and welding the holes. Will be done tomorrow so I need to get this liner on before my flares get here. Also the carpet has been ripped out and floor stripped, ready for coating also.

Ok, First I have decided not to use duplicolor. Shit sucks

Second, I narrowed it down to either Herculiner or Rustoleum.

Just seeing if you guys have had better luck with one or the other and how you prepped to make it adhere better.
    Honky.

2. #2 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Senior Member it usually runs fine's Avatar
    I used herculiner on the rear cargo area and it is holding up well. I used some metal wool type stuff and scuffed the snot out of it and the cleaned it with alchohol wipes. When you go to the apply the herculiner you have to keep mixing it hardcore or all the abrasive pieces will settle to the bottom of the paint. I used a actual paintbrush to apply and I would do it agian, I recommend it. Also I used some left over and painted my rear bumper and after about a year and a half of being outside all the time in the weather it has faded to a flat black.
    Some girls don't like guys like me, but some girls do.

3. #3 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Senior Member it usually runs fine's Avatar
    Don't use bedliner on the inside IMO. It is mega hard to keep clean unless you cut holes in your floorboard and wash it out. I used astroturf in the passenger compartment and it turned out sick. the brown turf matches my interior and it was like 10$. I can still vaccuum it if I want and get it wet and muddy.
    Some girls don't like guys like me, but some girls do.

4. #4 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    I would suggest Al's Liner, Herculiner, or a professional Line-x.
    Krash80: And my trailer weighs 8,000 lbs empty.
    CurtP: What does your house have to do with any of this?

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.
    ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

5. #5 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    My buddy used Herc on the interior of his XJ and it's holding up well so far. It looks like it's going to be a bitch to clean though.
    Think Twice Garage

6. #6 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Quote Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
    My buddy used Herc on the interior of his XJ and it's holding up well so far. It looks like it's going to be a bitch to clean though.

If you are going for looks just keep the stock carpet in there. I used Herculiner for the simple reason that when mud accumulates on the floor all I have to do is wait till it dries and do nothing. The wind takes care of the rest. When it gets all scuffed up it will look odd anyways.. I also used it because it is very strong and much less than a professional job. Take you about 6 hours to complete, that is if you take everything out, apply liner and put the shit back in.
    .... 98' 5.2 LiMiTEd ....
    ────────────────
    ────────────────
    I am not stupid, just very retarded....

7. #7 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    I know fortcollinsZJ used durabak when he removed his and it looked real good. My personal experience is with raptor liner on the interior of the WJ which was awesome. Another one that I have used alot on the xj and am very fond of is the rustoleum. I used it on the front bumper and the quarters. It still looks new after several washes and sitting out in the sun.
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

8. #8 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    I have herculiner on the outside (cladding area) of my Jeep. I didn't prep it great, so it has some pinholes in it where it's came off. However, unrelated to the prepping, it faded pretty quickly. I'd say within a year or so it was faded. Also, if your tires throw mud on it, and you don't wash it off within a day or so, the streaks from the mud will be still be visible. Ask me how I know.

This weekend I MAY just spray rustoleum over it, since it's starting to look like crap. In hindsight, I would've prepped it better, but it's still bound to fade. Check my build thread if you want pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33
    Its a jeep, it doesn't have to make sense.

9. #9 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockinaloogie View Post
    If you are going for looks just keep the stock carpet in there. I used Herculiner for the simple reason that when mud accumulates on the floor all I have to do is wait till it dries and do nothing. The wind takes care of the rest. When it gets all scuffed up it will look odd anyways.. I also used it because it is very strong and much less than a professional job. Take you about 6 hours to complete, that is if you take everything out, apply liner and put the shit back in.
    We totally redid the floors in his XJ and the carpet never would've gone back in due to the rocker cutouts/supports.
    Think Twice Garage

10. #10 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Well I decided on the herc and if it fades, it fades. I have pretty much stripped it down to the metal so I think it will be alright.

I really have not done much muddin lately due to I screw something up everytime I go, and my new Bushwacker Flares should take care of some of that.

Im not really going for looks on the inside due to I pulled the nasty old carpet out months ago. Im going for usability?
    Going to try it on the cargo area first and see how it looks, then maybe up to the roof, then hood, then who knows....

THE WHOLE JEEP!
    but prob not.
    Ill post some pics if I can get my hands on a camera.
    Honky.

11. #11 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Its not if it fades its when. Chances are if you prepped well it wont flake off. Just be sure to leave some deep sanding scratches for it to bite into.
    2004 Ford Lightning

12. #12 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    I just purchased my Herculiner this week and waiting for a little bit warmer weather. From what I've read this stuff turns into the rockies or something when it's dry and is impossible to clean. I suppose I'll be purchasing some plugs to drill holes into the floor; which wouldn't be a bad idea since I'm Hercuing the floor for when I sink it deep and the water rushes in. I should have known I would have found info on this here...Jeep Forum members had no experience with it.

I found JordanA's post on this earlier today...ZJ though. Any WJ snags to be prepared for? Mainly I'm concerned about running into wires I didn't expect and don't have any where to go. I was considering heat shrinking the exposed wires.

Does anybody notice a real heat difference in the cab? After I drove home from work today I put my hand on the floor where the tranny and firewall are and it didn't seem that hot...I mean it's 37 degrees but was still at normal running temperature.
    Shove it.

13. #13 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    My old build has some info and pics in it. Its pretty straight forward. Almost all the harnesses run down either side on the sill. Park brake can be moved and tiewrapped out of the way.
    2004 Ford Lightning

14. #14 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Jeeptech01: Do you like the bed liner better than carpet? What I hate about my carpet is that I question some mud holes because I don't want the hassle of pulling the carpet to clean the shit out of it. This is my DD but I don't have the money for a trail rig only so...I'm making this a miserable hunk of steel to drive around!

I was also thinking about customizing something for a new center console when I have everything torn out...really thinking of putting an ammo box in there or nothing at all. I really don't like the comfort, Cadillac look Chrysler attempted with the WJ...I want something that looks like it has balls!
    Shove it.

15. #15 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    I liked it. If you coat over the sound deadener crap it may lift up in places though. IDK about removing the console though. I was so glad to have cup holders after having my 96 XJ. Plus I like having somewhere to rest my elbow when driving since Im a lefty.
    2004 Ford Lightning

16. #16 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Quote Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
    I found JordanA's post on this earlier today...ZJ though. Any WJ snags to be prepared for? Mainly I'm concerned about running into wires I didn't expect and don't have any where to go. I was considering heat shrinking the exposed wires.
    Heat shrinking the exposed wiring would be fine, I'm sure.

As far as heat, the liner I used (cannot remember which it was at this point... duplicolor, herc or something like that) did NOT insulate from heat. The tranny tunnel would get HOT AS BALLS and almost burn your leg if you weren't careful. One of the thicker liners (Line-x, Rhino) would work much better in this regard, as would a thermal bed liner (lizard skin).

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.
    ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

17. #17 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    I would imagine if I'm unhappy with the heat after two coats of Herculiner I could always add another two...that should do a little to insulate it. If someone made an affordable vinyl or rubber flooring that would be the way to go...but it's all very expensive.
    Shove it.

18. #18 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    I'm telling you... lizard skin's ceramic coating is specifically used to insulate against heat. Look into it. You can always throw a layer of herc over the top of it if you so desire.

http://www.lizardskin.com/pages/ceramic.php

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

19. #19 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    I have a whole raptor liner kit in my garage that I may part with to find something that is better for insulation and sound deadening purposes. It was awesome but it didnt do much for sound deadening.
    2004 Ford Lightning

20. #20 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    I checked out that Lizard Skin ceramics and it looks pretty tough. Did you apply it under your bedliner? Just curious for some first hand experience with it. I mean I only have 3 months of semi hot weather so technically the heat would work in my favor for the rest of the year.
    Shove it.

21. #21 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    I purchased the hurculiner kit, kinda second guts doing it because of the fact that it doesn't come clean very easily and from what I am reading it does stand up the best. The astroterf idea is interesting guess I would have to see what that looks like.
    For all you susension, fabrication, and jeep needs call Bryant at Barbaric suspensions and Fab 480-577-7517.

22. #22 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    I finished doing the Monstaliner coating on the inside of my ZJ a few weeks ago, and after cleaning it out yesterday, I'm pleasantly surprised. It's held up well over the time it's been installed, I was worried about with the slight texture it being hard to clean, but it was super easy.

23. #23 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    It's been a few weeks, and you're surprised it's held up???? Not trying to offend, but why take the time and exert the effort to install a liner you don't even trust to hold up more than a few weeks/months?

I'm glad it is holding up, though. Any pictures? I've never heard of the monsterliner myself, but I am guessing per your description that it's similar to herculiner (texture wise, at least).

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

24. #24 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanA View Post
    It's been a few weeks, and you're surprised it's held up???? Not trying to offend, but why take the time and exert the effort to install a liner you don't even trust to hold up more than a few weeks/months?

I'm glad it is holding up, though. Any pictures? I've never heard of the monsterliner myself, but I am guessing per your description that it's similar to herculiner (texture wise, at least).
    Ok, worded incorrectly I guess. I've had all my lift stuff rolling around in the back hatch, as well as a loaded Jobox (big ass toolbox) in it, with no scratches on it at all. We put the same Jobox in my buddies truck bed with sprayed in Rhinoliner in it, and it scratched it all the way through the bedliner.

Kinda a crappy pic, and it doesn't show the texture-

25. #25 Re: Which Bedliner? 
    Looks like it went on THICK (evident from the runs and what not). From the pictures it looks to have an extremely smooth texture compared to other DIY liners I've seen/used, which I would think implies that cleaning would be fairly easy.

Pics of the rhino scrathed through to the paint? Since the DIY liners essentially are high solid paints and roll/spray on with minimal thickness, it seems hard to believe that it could wistand this tool box, if it has in fact scratched through 1/8-1/4" of rhino liner.

I'm not doubting you, just having a hard time fathoming the situation, all things considered.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information