Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

TOTM: All About Axles - Page 6

Thread: TOTM: All About Axles

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. #126 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    So about 35 spline drive flanges...

Some are made of chromoly. Some are made of 300M. Some are made of "the same type of metal used in ring and pinions". It seems that basically every manufacturer out there makes them. Does the material really matter? Or is this something that isn't commonly broken regardless of the type purchased?
    Guys with sticky 39s+ and significant horsepower will occasionally strip one out. Mine are warns and they aren't anything special at all... and they are one of the ones I've heard of stripping out the most. In most cases you are going to break a 35 spline 4340 shaft before the drive flange goes. I'm tempted to grab a set from ECGS and keep my Warns for spares. You on the other hand should be fine if your plan is to keep the 5.2 and run a smaller tire.

2. #127 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Yeah, definitely no immediate plans for anything beyond 37s and the 5.2. Even if I blow out the 5.2, I'll probably just swap another one in. I've been through some pretty drastic changes in the past couple years and I want to get my rig more "stable" to where I'm not constantly upgrading and fixing major stuff. Given the lack of body panels and decent approach/departure angles, I don't think I even came close to the potential of what my rig could do on 35s due to the weak front axle (for what I was trying). I don't want to go too big this time around because I really hope to stay on 37s for a while, which should allow me to try a lot more than I did before without as much of a concern for catastrophic breakage (though I'm sure I'll go through a shaft/joint or two before upgrading to 35 spline). I wouldn't mind staying on 35s to be honest, but I think that I would take too much of a hit in the ground clearance department. But I digress...
    Last edited by SirFuego; 10-13-2010 at 04:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

3. #128 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    As far as flanges, as mentioned most likely you will brake shafts and joints first. I run a set on my old rig for some time (tralered), but was not pleased with having to po in and out for street driving (run a square d shaft front). The rock and roll offroad ones are pimp, and the Warn as mentioned are known to strip or crack, but warranty. I went back to Warn manual lockouts and as they are premium with lifetime just used warranty when needed (have an extra for trail spare usage).

You cna get lucky and find an old Spicer OEM 30 spline, rebroach (about $50-80 to respline from 30 to 35) and is arguably stronger than the aftermarket manual hubs.

I think for a 42"and below medium weight wheel tire combo - i.e. Irok with H1's having hubs or flanges that break are a better fuse than axles and internals snapping, and a quick fix on the trail.

4. #129 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    I run stock spicer d70 flanges with no issue to this point..FWIW.. I ran stock hubs before I upgraded to 35spl outers and I constantly bashed them on rocks and the dials quit working so I may as well have had drive flanges.

5. #130 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    sweet d70 seem pretty hard to find. as far as bashing your dials, are you running wheels like non reentered H1's to bash teh dial on teh rocks? Mine are pretty much in line with the wheel lip, so mostly protected.

For those running 44's in the front, a quick and cheap tip is to run Waggy flanges on teh front, I had them as a spare alternative to hubs and used on the trail. They are pretty solid and seemed bulletproof for a 44 (full engagement), plus are plentiful on junkyards. I remember paying $5 for 3 sets They pop right in. You will break a stock shaft before breaking the waggy flange, plus you cna carry a couple spares rather than a full spare manual hub.

6. #131 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Senior Member it usually runs fine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
    sweet d70 seem pretty hard to find. as far as bashing your dials, are you running wheels like non reentered H1's to bash teh dial on teh rocks? Mine are pretty much in line with the wheel lip, so mostly protected.

For those running 44's in the front, a quick and cheap tip is to run Waggy flanges on teh front, I had them as a spare alternative to hubs and used on the trail. They are pretty solid and seemed bulletproof for a 44 (full engagement), plus are plentiful on junkyards. I remember paying $5 for 3 sets They pop right in. You will break a stock shaft before breaking the waggy flange, plus you cna carry a couple spares rather than a full spare manual hub.
    cool mail me a set
    Some girls don't like guys like me, but some girls do.

7. #132 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Ah, have not had a 44 in a while, but will check my parts pile, may have a coupel sets still laying around.

Kinda hard to see but it is basically the part that goes under part 18 on the diagram below. I tried searching online for a pic of the flange\hub part but no luck. It is basically a two piece flange assembly that goes on the front on non manual hub FSJ.

8. #133 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    You cna get lucky and find an old Spicer OEM 30 spline, rebroach (about $50-80 to respline from 30 to 35) and is arguably stronger than the aftermarket manual hubs.
    Speaking of hubs I just started a 1-ton build on my wife's CJ and the D60 I picked up didn't come with outer stubs or locking hubs. I've actually been thinking picking up some oem Spicer 35-spline outers and reproaching some old spicers locking hubs as the design seems to be the same concept with regards to the "locking cogs" as the high end $500 Dyna track hubs from what I read on pirate. I think I found some spicers locally on craigslist but I'm not sure of these are it or some just some cheap hubs. I've done searches on google and on pirate but couldn't find definitive pictures of what they D60 spicers look like, I know that the D44 spicers had blue dials but do the D60's also have blue dials or are they red like below, can someone confirm that they look like one the picture below.

Thanks again,
    Fred R.

97 ZJ, 5" Long Arm Lift, Currie Anti-Rock, Beadlocked 35's, 231/D300 Doubler, Locked Front & Rear (Narrowed HP D44 w/ chromo shafts and Yukon Superjoints & F8.8), ARB Bull Bar & 9K winch, 1-Ton Hydro-assist steering, "Custom" body work and some other goodies...

9. #134 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Fred, I will dig though my pics. Those look like stock spicers to me.

pics from them disassembled here (not mine, but mine were exact the same):

...and this is the 'gear' that gets broached. MUCH beefier than the crap inside Warn's hubs.

MADMAC on pirate broaches them If not mistake was about $50 AFAIK...

They are extremelly well designed, and you can find them cheap. I sold a set with outer 30 splines for almost nothing, wish I had kept them

10. #135 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Fred, I will dig though my pics. Those look like stock spicers to me.
    MADMAC on pirate broaches them If not mistake was about $50 AFAIK...

They are extremelly well designed, and you can find them cheap. I sold a set with outer 30 splines for almost nothing, wish I had kept them
    Gui,
    Thanks, I'll hop on these then should be under $100 after all said and done with getting them broached to 35-spines.

Thanks again,
    Fred R.
    97 ZJ, 5" Long Arm Lift, Currie Anti-Rock, Beadlocked 35's, 231/D300 Doubler, Locked Front & Rear (Narrowed HP D44 w/ chromo shafts and Yukon Superjoints & F8.8), ARB Bull Bar & 9K winch, 1-Ton Hydro-assist steering, "Custom" body work and some other goodies...

11. #136 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Cool, use teh second pic for reference, good isdea to po em up and see first just in case anything is chewed up and they have not been replaced for some other internals. Good luck! $100 for the set broached is a sweet deal!

12. #137 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Asshole Extraordinaire Lifetime Supporter
    MallCrawlin Supporter
    Ok what is the general consensus on buying a brand new Rubicon Front D44? again im running a 94 ZJ 5.2 and will be running 35's....Im asking because I might be getting a smoking deal...still have to see
    "I will offend a bunch of you. I do not know what your moral boundaries are, so I'm probably going to cross them at some point. I sometimes even go beyond my own moral boundaries -- that's how I know I still have them."

Tosh.0 (Loosely translated by Fuego)(slightly modified to fit my needs!)

13. #138 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    You could buy the matching rear from me.
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

14. #139 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    If you are getting a smoking deal, the Rubi 44 is a hard to pass option, pretty much bolt on, marginally stronger than a 30, geared and locked. I woudl not have a problem running one

15. #140 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauzi Zj View Post
    Ok what is the general consensus on buying a brand new Rubicon Front D44? again im running a 94 ZJ 5.2 and will be running 35's....Im asking because I might be getting a smoking deal...still have to see
    It would have to be a real good deal, but they are a worthwhile upgrade. What are you planning to do to address the difference in bolt patterns?

16. #141 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    I did it the other way on an old TJ, (Rubi rear axle and spacers front). Spacers in the front, never had any issues. If I coudl find a deal on a set of Rubi axles why not run them?

17. #142 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Asshole Extraordinaire Lifetime Supporter
    MallCrawlin Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
    It would have to be a real good deal, but they are a worthwhile upgrade. What are you planning to do to address the difference in bolt patterns?

It is, less than it would cost me to build my 30, and I was thinking a 9 inch rear...
    "I will offend a bunch of you. I do not know what your moral boundaries are, so I'm probably going to cross them at some point. I sometimes even go beyond my own moral boundaries -- that's how I know I still have them."

Tosh.0 (Loosely translated by Fuego)(slightly modified to fit my needs!)

18. #143 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    I hope you guy's can shed some light on something I came acrossed today.

Guy on NAGCA was using Reid knuckles on a HP 30 with Waggy spindles, mated a Waggy outer to the 30 inner with a 297 joint. By doing this he got rid of the unit bearing and picked up real lockouts. It made for a 6 lug pattern, but Chebby wheels are common and cheap, or he could have used a Furd spindle for 5 on 5.5.

This got me thinking about doing the same to my WJ using Waggy 30 inners since the overall width is very close. That would allow me to ditch the cv shafts also, and be alot cheaper than any other option.

Am I missing anything here? It seems like a great option if I'm not, my own WJ will never get over 33s on it.
    1999 Wj Laredo stock as a rock - smashed

83 F150 SAS- Under construction

1995 Limited, 223k, The Great Pumpkin

19. #144 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Search for D30-44 hybrids here and on pirate, a lot has been covered before. IMO not worth the money unless you already have sunken money on your 30 (ARB and gears). You can build a simpler D44 front with a Waggy donor and use of the shelf parts. If it were me I would look into a pair of Waggy 44's.

20. #145 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    The correct search term helps a ton lmao thanks! I've been lookin fruitlessly all day.

I totally agree that a Waggy axle or HP44 would be better, but I'm working on jackstands outside with hand tools, so for me a bolt/drill/grind option is worth alot.

21. #146 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Ok, now that I'm home on a real computer, I can see, that the 30/44 option blows. It's either4 just as much work or just as much money as a axle swap.

22. #147 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Personally a JK swap if you can find a good deal will be a simpler swap, but the waggy 44's are stronger in stock form, plus a lot of benefits, manual hubs, easy off the shelf and junk yard parts etc. I would start building the set on the side if you have the space and time. Pick and pull normally has the waggies in this area (CA Bay Area) for about $100 a pop or less on half off days.

I am also debating on what to do on the ZJ axle build wise, but am possibly going to wait and kill the current ones first

23. #148 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Chad, did you ever finish this? I popped a yukon this weekend and would like to use your spreadsheet to guide my decision of what to replace it with...

24. #149 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Damn, superior imports have pretty big numbers...twist and torque!
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

25. #150 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    OK, so I might be talking to myself here, but I have an engineering/metalurgy question. I may have already asked this some time ago but I don't remember the answer if I did.

Let's say you run a stub shaft on one side of the rig for two years (we'll say driver). You use it hard and then you pull it.

If you reinstall it on the other (passenger) side, is it more likely to break because it's being twisted in the other direction? Or does the stub remain equally as strong, as long as it hasn't reached yield and experienced plastic deformation? Do the grains in the shaft develop a memory or do they remain indifferent to which direction they're being twisted as long as the twisting is still within the shaft's range of elasticity?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Thread Information