Thread: TOTM: All About Axles

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. #76 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    zzz... Lifetime Supporter JolleyRoger's Avatar
    I probably got this from one of you...
    Attached Images  

2. #77 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    FWIW, On 35's in my current rig with warn's and CTM's in the 44 and Warn Premium hubs, I've only gone through 2 hubs in 2 years. I don't wheel this rig nearly as hard as my old rig, and the number of days on difficult trails is probably only a dozen a year at this point, so I think that is acceptable. Hubs don't bother me to change out on the trail.

I REALLY need to pull apart my CTM's and make sure they are in ok shape. A few of the zerks no longer allow grease in.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

3. #78 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    I have destroyed every hub I have put on my front 44 in less than two years.

2 Warn Prem
    1 Warn standard
    3 Superwinch

I swapped to the 44 b/c it was free and I liked the idea of selectable hubs. I will likely be putting in slugs...but like Cody said at least a hub swap is quick and easy.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

4. #79 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Selectable hubs is definitely an advantage of the 44 over the 30. I know you can put them on the 30 but IMO that would be a waste of money. IIRC the kit is like $800.
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

5. #80 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeptech01 View Post
    Selectable hubs is definitely an advantage of the 44 over the 30. I know you can put them on the 30 but IMO that would be a waste of money. IIRC the kit is like $800.
    Not to mention the cost of new wheels (the hub kit changes the bolt pattern)

6. #81 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    I'm not going to lie, I HATE getting in and out to select my hubs. This is a problem for me specifically because i have a front spool which makes it very difficult to steer. If I had an ARB and/or hydro assist (I'm ported, just no ram yet) I probably wouldn't disengage/engage my hubs 50 times per trail.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

7. #82 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Senior Member it usually runs fine's Avatar
    Why do selectable hubs break so often? Do they hit stuff from sticking out. Is it just too much force for the smaller internals with a locker, gears and tires?
    Some girls don't like guys like me, but some girls do.

8. #83 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteves View Post
    I have destroyed every hub I have put on my front 44 in less than two years.

2 Warn Prem
    1 Warn standard
    3 Superwinch

I swapped to the 44 b/c it was free and I liked the idea of selectable hubs. I will likely be putting in slugs...but like Cody said at least a hub swap is quick and easy.
    try dynaloc they say unbreakable.
    No longer a JeepTech01 fan.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

And ELLLLLIOTTTTT................I think..........Yup and ELLLLLIOTTTTT.

9. #84 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Speaking of hubs, I saw the article in the latest Crawl Magazine regarding the Stage 8 locking spindle nuts. Is having the spindle nuts loosen up actually a common issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

10. #85 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    Speaking of hubs, I saw the article in the latest Crawl Magazine regarding the Stage 8 locking spindle nuts. Is having the spindle nuts loosen up actually a common issue?
    Not on mine... they were all tight after ~2 years when I checked them recently. That includes wedging tires and running into trees on accident. But I also know people who run the stage 8 stuff just as a precaution.

I would just replace the nuts and possibly the studs. The nuts are deformed thread IIRC, which lose a drastic percentage of their locking ability after just a few uses. I can dig up the numbers out of my NASA hardware guide if anyone is curious how much...

11. #86 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy63b View Post
    try dynaloc they say unbreakable.
    Is that the low-profile Dynatrac ones?

They are cool, and I would love for my hubs not to stick out so much, but in reality I would have to break an awful lot of lifetime warrantied Warn hubs for me to justify the cost of the Dynatrac ones.

12. #87 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    My 44 ones have come loose a few times, and when I pulled my friends 44 apart recently he had a loose one too. I can't vouch for his technique, but I actually do it in the manner they say, with overtorquing the primary nut first to set the bearings, then backing off a little, all while spinning the hub
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

13. #88 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Dynaloc appears to be for D60 only.

14. #89 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteves View Post
    Dynaloc appears to be for D60 only.
    It doesn't matter. You have a special talent for destroying hubs. Might as well stock up on the cheap ones.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

15. #90 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    I would MUCH rather pop a hub than a joint, shaft, or something in the pumpkin. I consider them to be about the best thing to use as fuses in the drivetrain. Since something has to be the weak link, it might as well be easily replaceable and not necessary to the vehicle still being drivable. Lifetime warranties are nice, too, and you can pick up some factory parts to have as spares for next to nothing if your axle didn't come with them.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

16. #91 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    OK I figured this would be a good time to get some input on my upcoming axle swap. Here are my thoughts so far (running some flavor of 37" tires FWIW)...

Front:
    Known variables:
    - Double ended full hydro (Overkill's old setup)
    - 78-79 HP60. I don't have the tools or experience to safely burn on axle brackets, so I'm just sticking with the "cliche" front axle since it's easier for my buddy to setup. Plus I might be able to get one relatively cheap.
    - 5.13 or 5.38 gears
    - Hi-clearance brackets
    - Sticking with stock shafts and knuckles for now, then upgrading later.

Undecided variables:
    - Riddler/Crane diff cover or get it shaved to D44 clearance. The diff cover is obviously the easiest and cheapest solution and the "ramp" those covers offer should help the diff to slide over stuff a bit easier, but it would be sweet to have D44 clearance...
    - Spool, detroit/grizzly, or ARB/Zip? If I find a good used ARB, I'm probably going that direction, but assuming my scrub radius isn't horrible and I'm running full hydro, can I really expect much advantage of a Detroit/Grizzly over a spool? I don't ever run my junk on the road, so I don't care about road characteristics.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

17. #92 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    I really like having my ARB up front as I keep it unlocked unless I need it, but I wouldn't hesitate to run a Detroit either. IMHO I think a spool would put too much stress on the front shafts/joints and if you're running stock shafts for a while I'd skip it.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

18. #93 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    on dana 60 shafts I don't think you'd be stressing em out to be running spooled, but at the same time thats not the most appealing solution. I'm putting a detroit in my front axle - I'll get back to you with how satisfied I am with it haha!

The times I see a spool hurt most are when someone is trying to maneuver/rock CRAWL at low speeds and the spooled front end just pushes sideways off a rock they might be trying to get over while steering...but thats definately a combination of being locked front and rear
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

19. #94 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Fuego, I run a spool up front and at times I like it. But I think ultimately I will have some sort of full case ratcheting locker like a detroit or a grizzly. I am very interested in the grizzly due to their claims that it won't break like detroits do when a shaft breaks, and their $2000 collateral damage warranty if breaks, through the end of this month. I think I'm gonna test the 14b version of the grizzly first and then maybe stick one in the front if I like it.

The front spool probably contributes a lot to tire wear, but here in the east, at least with full hydro and a lot of backspacing, I usually don't have issues with turning radius, unless I'm on a rare grippy rock or pavement. For the high speed stuff, I like how the spool quickly digs the rig back onto the track I point it in and seems to help prevent sideways slides. My main complaint with the front spool is the shock loads it transmits. It obviously has seen some serious shock loads, because a few months ago I checked my ring gear bolts and they had all backed off about 50 ft/lbs from when I set the gears a year and a half before. You could make the argument that a locker might ratchet or at least disengage for a split second during those types of high stresses are applied.

The testing videos I have seen on zip lockers makes them look like absolute junk compared to an ARB...

20. #95 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    I have a Detroit up front because I figured with me running Spicer u-joints on my D60, it would be best not to have a spool that would just be putting that much more stress on things. I love the Detroit in the front. However, if there Grizzly would've been out at the time, I would've gone with it most likely.

Hopefully it's much better than their Zip is compared to the ARB like Cam mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

21. #96 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    The testing videos I have seen on zip lockers makes them look like absolute junk compared to an ARB...
    Like this one?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyzyAVPTM8c

I know it's probably too expensive to do, but I would like to see them do it on at least two or three more trials to be honest. Supposedly the same shafts can vary quite a bit in their ultimate breaking strength, so I wonder if that is true for lockers. I also wonder if not having the other shaft engaged in the locker affects the strength of the locker. If they are able to get an ARB to break in that same lab test, that all of a sudden totally changes the story...

I'm not doubting the results of the test (or even claiming that ARB "fixed" the test -- which I'm sure didn't happen) to be honest, but I just wonder how repeatable those results would be with more trials.

I'm not doubting that the ARB is a stronger product either (it's been around and redesigned multiple times already), but a single trial like that doesn't convince me that an ARB is a better all-round product -- but it does at least make me feel the extra money spent on an ARB is worth it. I know that sounds a bit hypocritical, but something that's proven in the field (the Yukon lockers are too new to be "proven") and supported by (incomplete) lab tests is worth the extra $80 or so, IMO.
    Robot

22. #97 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    It doesn't matter. You have a special talent for destroying hubs. Might as well stock up on the cheap ones.
    I have broken two at once twice now. So, I now carry 4 spare hubs. Checker in Moab replaces the broken ones on the spot, so the broken ones travel to Moab for free replacement.

23. #98 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    By the way, wikipedia has some excellent descriptions and animations of u-joints and cv joints:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_joint
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant-velocity_joint
    Robot

24. #99 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    "Polishing a turd", what about what can be done ona rear ZJ 44 to make it last longer with 33-34"tires?

25. #100 Re: TOTM: October - All About Axles 
    Quote Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
    "Polishing a turd", what about what can be done ona rear ZJ 44 to make it last longer with 33-34"tires?
    standard procedure is to cross drill the shafts and weld the carrier bearings.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Thread Information