Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Aggie ZJ

Thread: Aggie ZJ

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Aggie ZJ 
    Rawr Lifetime Supporter jfowlzj95's Avatar
    Well some of you may have seen my rig in some of the 'Trip report' threads and around the site, if not here it is.

3.5" RE springs, no front swaybar, Kevin's sliders and rad support, 31 BFG muds, some performance mods for the V8, body modifications , yadda yadda yadda. Done some other changes like ditching the CV front driveshaft for a u-joint, put on some UC skids, and other crap.

Decided to start this now cause I've got some big plans for it between now and summer. Have been able to get a few things with the little money I've got for now (its tough going to college and only being able to work when I get to go back home, which is rare).

Bought a 231 a few weeks ago, tore it down then put it back together to make sure nothing was fawked and replaced some studs so its all ready to go other than just making sure input shafts are the same.

Got a nice little Don-a-vee to help free up some room in the back to store tools and such. Nothing special, but it works well. Departure angle kinda sucks now, but oh well. Most of the trails here have soft ground.

And then theres my most recent purchase, which will most likely be the last to be finished before summer, my 9".

Now you can see where that Don-a-vee comes in handy.

Decided on the 9" because of the ability to upgrade it to 35-40 spline in the future and its well reputation. Didn't want a D44 and thought about the 8.8 because of the close width and matching BP, but then thought why go that when I can get a 9"? Plus everyone was doing the 8.8 swap, nothing against it I just wanted to do something different for a change. I've also got a few buddies who've got the 9" under their rigs so I'll be going to them for parts and help. Anyways on to the 9", came out of a 78 F-150, 31 spline, big bearing, ~64" wms-wms, drums and shafts with the 5x5.5 BP. Rotates fine so thats a good sign. Plan is to convert it to discs, change the shafts to 5x4.5 BP, regear to probably 4.10s or 4.56s along with the front, and maybe throw in a Detroit.

Got some 2" coil spacers on the way too so I'll be going up a few more inches, plus I might be able to get a deal with another guy in trading my 31s for his 33s. Should be a great experience building the 9" up, really looking forward to running this under my rig.
    Last edited by jfowlzj95; 02-20-2012 at 04:31 AM.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    07 Cummins Fire Truck, it tow.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

2. #2 Re: Mutt 
    I love my 9. Are you sure it's 64wms. I'm running the same housing. It measure's 65wms. at least with the disk brake upgrade(wilwood).

Are the spacers on the way for the front? conversion from 5 on4.5 to 5 on 5.5?

What are you planning for backspacing? I know my Wj is wider and I'm running 17x8 with 5 inch backspace. I have a bit of tire sticking out. Just thought this might help a little.

Also check the housing, Mine looked like that when I got it. Housing ended up being slightly bent.

Yipee, you'll love that axle. never have to do another one no matter how big you go in tires.
    Last edited by H3RESQ; 02-22-2007 at 03:33 AM.

3. #3 Re: Mutt 
    Nice off camber shot. Your parts pile is getting there, looking good.
    Chris- 97 ZJ, 4.0, some lift, black tires and some Autozone valve caps.

4. #4 Re: Mutt 
    Quote Originally Posted by H3RESQ View Post
    I love my 9. Are you sure it's 64wms. I'm running the same housing. It measure's 65wms. at least with the disk brake upgrade(wilwood).

Are the spacers on the way for the front? conversion from 5 on4.5 to 5 on 5.5?

What are you planning for backspacing? I know my Wj is wider and I'm running 17x8 with 5 inch backspace. I have a bit of tire sticking out. Just thought this might help a little.

Also check the housing, Mine looked like that when I got it. Housing ended up being slightly bent.

Yipee, you'll love that axle. never have to do another one no matter how big you go in tires.
    When I measured it in the yard it looked to be 64wms but one of the drums is missing, I can measure it again it could be 65wms no biggie.

For spacers, I meant coil spacers I'll have to go edit that. But I did think about getting them for the front to even out the width some and run the same BP. I could get really lucky by getting parts from others in town, one guy whos running a 9 under his TJ has 5x4.5 shafts but 5x5.5 for the front. So I could just trade with him if length is the same.

My current wheels have 3.75" BS, I might keep them or I might go with 4-5" BS. Not worried if it sticks out some as long as its not a ridiculous amount. Housing didnt look bent at all, so thats good. A lot of these issues I'll work out as I get closer to throwing this under the rig, right now I just want to figure out what all I've got and what I'll need. BTW where did you get brackets for your 9?
    Last edited by jfowlzj95; 02-22-2007 at 01:15 PM.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

5. #5 Re: Mutt 
    Quote Originally Posted by corrupt143 View Post
    Nice off camber shot. Your parts pile is getting there, looking good.
    I almost flopped it in that shot.

Parts pile is only going to get bigger. Oh, and were you able to get those lower CAs?
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

6. #6 Re: Mutt 
    Looks good.
    The 9" is a beef axle, you should enjoy having it under your rig.
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

7. #7 Re: Mutt 
    are there "good 9's and bad 9's"? my dad and i just picked up a ghetto ford truck bed made trailer to haul some wood in the yard, and when i took a look under it, what do ya know, it looks to be a ford 9". the bed looks to be an early to late 60's ford f-100 w/ drums. i believe 3.27 gears. good candidate for a build? what do i need to check out on it? it even has some black steelies bolted up to it.

(sorry for hijacking)
    -04' silver ram 1500. 5.7 hemi. 4x4. a few goodies.
    -98' chargold zj. 4.0/242. stocker.
    -09' black yamaha rhino SE. new offroad play toy.
    -96' black zj. 4.0/242. re 4.5" + 2" BB, 35" bfg at's, 8.8 w/ e-locker, open HP30, 4.56's, TW SYE & F/R driveshafts, currie steering, addco's F/R, ARB'ed, Warn 8k winch, & armor. - SOLD

8. #8 Re: Mutt 
    Quote Originally Posted by RiPPiNiTuP7 View Post
    are there "good 9's and bad 9's"? my dad and i just picked up a ghetto ford truck bed made trailer to haul some wood in the yard, and when i took a look under it, what do ya know, it looks to be a ford 9". the bed looks to be an early to late 60's ford f-100 w/ drums. i believe 3.27 gears. good candidate for a build? what do i need to check out on it? it even has some black steelies bolted up to it.

(sorry for hijacking)
    Well first make sure its not an 8" instead of a 9". I was looking at one from an late 60s early 70s F100 and it turned out to be an 8". Check the 3rd member, if you can access the lower 2 nuts (should be right under the pinion) straight on with a socket then its an 8", for the 9 you either have to come in at an angle or use a wrench.

If it is a 9, you'll want big bearing not small. I did this by looking at the drums, big bearing came with 11"x2.25" drums while the small bearing came with 10"x2.5" drums. I also checked the stud for the brakes at the end of the tubes, big bearings should be 1/2" as opposed to the small's 3/8" IIRC.

Here's a few sites I used to help me find my 9.

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm
    http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~i6735189/rearaxle.htm
    Last edited by jfowlzj95; 02-22-2007 at 02:14 PM.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

9. #9 Re: Mutt 
    Quote Originally Posted by jfowlzj95 View Post
    BTW where did you get brackets for your 9?

Blue torch fab for the coil buckets, although I think calytons are better.

Blue torch fab for the lower link and shock brackets. There cheap and work great. The upper link/truss bracket I ordered from RK since it's set up for the system.

BTW my rears stick out about 2.75 inches on either side. So even with 5 inch backspade I think close to half your tire will stick out.

10. #10 Re: Mutt 
    Quote Originally Posted by H3RESQ View Post
    Blue torch fab for the coil buckets, although I think calytons are better.

Blue torch fab for the lower link and shock brackets. There cheap and work great. The upper link/truss bracket I ordered from RK since it's set up for the system.

BTW my rears stick out about 2.75 inches on either side. So even with 5 inch backspade I think close to half your tire will stick out.
    Width isnt a big worry for me as long as its not the whole tire. I'll have to see what it looks like though when its all set up. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by jfowlzj95; 02-22-2007 at 03:52 PM.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

11. #11 Re: Mutt 
    I finally get to do some work on the axle tomorrow, hopefully pull it apart and cut off the old brackets. I'm also going to be doing some fender trimming seeing that my 31s are starting to reshape them.

I've seen that most of you guys have trimmed to the about near black line, but what about the red line? Has anyone trimmed to there? After seeing a buddies TJ and his trimming gave me the idea. I'm for sure going to the black, just trying to see if I'll like the idea of going past it.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

12. #12 Re: Mutt 
    I guess you could trim that much if you plan to run big tires with small lift...the black line is where I cut..and it works fine...I
    95 Rubicon ZJ-60/14b-40" LTBs on 17" ORO beadlocks-full hydro
    Uber one Ton ZJ Tech
    PSC Full Hydro Tech for ZJ
    Crawler Ready Motor Mount Install

13. #13 Re: Mutt 
    Also if you cut the RED line you'll be way behind the inner fenderwell. Seems kinda pointless. Unless you plan to cut out and plate your floorboards. I'd say try something inbetween if the black doesn't satisfy. YOU CAN ALWAYS CUT MORE.

Am I confused, is this a driver or a trailer rig?

As for width keep this in mind. Let's say you have 5 inches of lift. As your axle gets wider(ie:tires stick out further) your tire will no longer stuff into the fenderwell. This is important in the rear seeing you have to stop trimming UP when you get to the door in the rear. Notice your first picture in this thread. Look at the stuff of your rear tire. The axle without spacers will add almost 3 inches of width to each side. Your tire would be tearing up your door even if you trimmed the fenders. You would need two more inches of lift with no tire size increase to make it work without mods.
    Last edited by H3RESQ; 02-25-2007 at 04:33 AM.

14. #14 Re: Mutt 
    The red line would be just for looks I wouldnt expect it to rub even if I were to just cut at the black. And the rig is a DD.

I see your point, the coil spacers that I've got would put me around 5". I'll most likely run 33s with on wheels with 4-5" BS I would think that would be a fine fit.
    Last edited by jfowlzj95; 02-25-2007 at 09:57 PM.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

15. #15 Re: Mutt 
    I trimmed less than the black line on my ZJ with 13.5" wide 33's and I don't get any rub.

As for the red line, I'm pretty sure Big Dave did his around there.
    Poetry in commotion.

16. #16 Re: Mutt 
    Oh, and were you able to get those lower CAs?
    Im still waiting for them. I'll send you some pics when they FINALLY get here. Dont worry, theyre yours if theyre what you want.
    Chris- 97 ZJ, 4.0, some lift, black tires and some Autozone valve caps.

17. #17 Re: Mutt 
    Trimmed the fenders and relocated the charcoal canister yesterday, just finally uploaded the pics. Still have to cut/smash some of the inner fender though. Spring Break is coming up so I finally get to head home, should be able to work on the axle some and maybe even swap in the 231.
    Attached Images    
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

18. #18 Re: Mutt 
    Swapped in the 231 today, all went well other than my rear driveshaft being about 1" too long. For those who have done the 249 to 231 swap, did any of you have to lengthen/shorten your rear drive shaft? I dont remember reading about it in any of the write ups, I could have just over read though.

Will post pics once its finished.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

19. #19 Re: Mutt 
    That tire carrier looks great. I drove mine all over Moab and a lot of Colorado and actually used those skid rails. Good Luck with the project. I should have some pics of mine in a few weeks.

20. #20 Re: Mutt 
    Quote Originally Posted by WestexZJ View Post
    That tire carrier looks great. I drove mine all over Moab and a lot of Colorado and actually used those skid rails. Good Luck with the project. I should have some pics of mine in a few weeks.
    Thanks again Ronnie for the carrier, it has really come in handy.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

21. #21 Re: Mutt 
    Here are some pics of the 231 swap, all works well other than the linkage. Shock boot covering the slip yoke idea stollen from Jordan . And for those who are planning on doing this swap or similar, read the write ups AND make sure you have a FSM with you. You will definatly need them in order to do it right.
    Attached Images      
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

22. #22 Re: Mutt 
    Got axle pics. Cut off the old brackets and cleaned it up a bit, no final pics though. Just need to get gears and brackets for it. Pulled the chunk and found that stock gearing for it was 2.75:1, wonderful. And now its gets to sit in a shed for a while...
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by jfowlzj95; 03-24-2007 at 01:24 AM.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

23. #23 Re: Mutt 
    Small update, nothing too special. Got Kevin's Trackbar Conversion in today, looks like a pretty beefy set up. Also got his Durometer bushings to go with it. Wont be able to install it until a few weeks as I have no real place to work, the apartment complex I'm at gets pissed even if you pop the hood. Will post up more pics when its installed.
    Attached Images   
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

24. #24 Re: Mutt 
    Small update, nothing too special. Got Kevin's Trackbar Conversion in today, looks like a pretty beefy set up. Also got his Durometer bushings to go with it. Wont be able to install it until a few weeks as I have no real place to work, the apartment complex I'm at gets pissed even if you pop the hood. Will post up more pics when its installed.
    You'll love that track bar conversion... it's

25. #25 Re: Mutt 
    Got to go back to Austin for part of the summer and figure out a few problems with the Jeep, discovered some minor carnage. I've been having a scratching noise coming from the front drivers side axle for a few weeks now, just figured it was probably the CV joint going bad. Got the Jeep on jackstands, pulled the wheels, removed the caliper, and just as I was removing the rotor, off comes part of the hub assembly. Also took a look at the caliper and discovered it was about time to change the pads. I had just replaced both hubs this past January, so I took the fawked hub to Autozone and got a new free one thanks to warranty. CV joint is infact out, on both sides, looks like its time to upgrade to some U-joints... or maybe a better front axle.

So now the Jeeps a hovercraft, also have to replace a rear axle seal. But after all the minor repairs are done I'll be able to install Kevin's TB conversion and other little goodies that I've been waiting to install for a while due to a crappy apartment complex. Might even get a chance to make some progress on the 9".

Oh and some 33x12.5" Maxxis Bighorns should be arriving soon... Looks like Hunter isnt going to be the only ZJ riding around College Station on them anymore.
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by jfowlzj95; 05-11-2007 at 12:46 AM.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Thread Information