Thread: 99 WJ 247 transfer case help

1. #1 99 WJ 247 transfer case help 
    Ok guys I just picked up a 99 Wj with a 4.7 and a 247 transfer case. It has been setting for a year with a bent axle shaft. Replaced all of that and took it to work today. 15 miles down the road it jumped out of 4 hi and sounded like putting a automatic transmission into park while rolling. I coasted to the side of the road and put it in neutral shifted into 4 lo and went into reverse and then drive (30 ft.) Put it back into 4 hi and drove another 2 miles and went through the same thing. Drove to work with no further incedence. coming home 20 miles out and then 10 miles later same thing happened. Made it home with no further problems. It doesn't seem to matter what speed cruise or not. I checked the linkage and it seems fine. I have read on here about changinging the fluid with Mopar specific. I'm just wanting to get it road worthy and dependable before I start modifying it. This is my first dealing with Quadra tech system. Any other ideas to check?
    Last edited by helo1; 08-18-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Forgot something

2. #2 Re: 99 WJ 247 transfer case help 
    you said the linkage was fine.... (have not seen WJ linkage but assume it's like ZJ and is adjustable) did you take the linkage loose and adjust it? how about removing the shift arm from the tcase and (make sure it's in where it should be) and take a spin.
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

3. #3 Re: 99 WJ 247 transfer case help 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache View Post
    how about removing the shift arm from the tcase and (make sure it's in where it should be) and take a spin.
    Do this ^.

If it is the T-case you should think about a swap to a 231. A coworker had a 247 crap out on him and he threw a 231 in.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

4. #4 Re: 99 WJ 247 transfer case help 
    Thanks guys said linkage but it is a cable. I will pull it off this weekend and try it out. First jeep so i'm still learning about the different Tcases. What are my options for this trans? i have seen on the boards people fliipping the 300s. will this work on this trans or is there an adapter to make this work. I have a complete Ramcharger with all the running gear with the passenger drop 44. Just haven't figured out the Tcase and what works with this trans

5. #5 Re: 99 WJ 247 transfer case help 
    Ok I disconnected the cable and still have the problem. I did notice that one of my rear tires is a different size it is a 225/75R16 and the other 3 are 235/70R16. The odd ball was the spare the PO had and i didn't notice the size difference until today. With this being full time 4wd would that cause this? I have the other 225 and I'll put it on in the morning. I've never owned a full time 4wd vehicle and I am not sure how or how much this difference would effect it. Thoughts?

Damn conversion chart shows them both at 29"
    Last edited by helo1; 08-21-2010 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Damn conversion chart

6. #6 Re: 99 WJ 247 transfer case help 
    Quote Originally Posted by helo1 View Post
    Ok I disconnected the cable and still have the problem. I did notice that one of my rear tires is a different size it is a 225/75R16 and the other 3 are 235/70R16. The odd ball was the spare the PO had and i didn't notice the size difference until today. With this being full time 4wd would that cause this? I have the other 225 and I'll put it on in the morning. I've never owned a full time 4wd vehicle and I am not sure how or how much this difference would effect it. Thoughts?

Damn conversion chart shows them both at 29"
    Difference's in tires Eat these tcases alive lol requires more TQ to spin wider tires on AWD full Time 4wd ALL TIRES SHOULD MATCH including spare rotate the spare in on tire rotations.

7. #7 Re: 99 WJ 247 transfer case help 
    Ok I replaced the odd tire and no luck still jumping out of gear. I guess its time to rebuild or change the transfer case. So I want to upgrade and get a 2 wheel drive setting. What are my best options? Like I said this is my first jeep and I'm still learning this one. I've always had full size trucks so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like
    calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'!!

8. #8 Re: 99 WJ 247 transfer case help 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    GSSW Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by helo1 View Post
    Ok I replaced the odd tire and no luck still jumping out of gear. I guess its time to rebuild or change the transfer case. So I want to upgrade and get a 2 wheel drive setting. What are my best options? Like I said this is my first jeep and I'm still learning this one. I've always had full size trucks so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    231 or 242 are your options.

Beyond that apparently I don't know WTF I'm talking about so I'm removing the erroneous info I posted. Thanks for correcting me
    Last edited by FearTheDentist; 09-08-2010 at 10:14 AM.
    2004 WJ 60\14b ARB\lockrite 37" Nitto mud grapplers

Quote Originally Posted by SuicideTireZJ View Post
    If there's one thing I like more than Moab and Grand Cherokees, it's a little boy on boy action.

9. #9 Re: 99 WJ 247 transfer case help 
    Quote Originally Posted by FearTheDentist View Post
    231 or 242 are your options. Lots of info on both out there. Overall the 231 is stronger and seems more reliable, but lacks a "part time" 4wd setting. I'm no t-case expert but I believe the difference is the 242 has a viscous coupler as part of the traction control to shift the power distribution between front and rear, and the 231 is just gear driven- you're in 4wd or not, no traction control. Unfortunately the viscous coupler seems to be the weak link in the 242...
    Lacks the 4Fulltime function. 242 has no viscous coupler that's 249 case 247/147 cases have a progressive coupler

231 has way more aftermarket support.

242 has the most options 2wd/4pt/4ft/n/4lo

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm

• Type: Progressive On Demand
    • Full time 4WD operation sends power to both the front and rear axles under normal driving conditions and automatically transfers torque to the front as needed
    • Gerotor pump in the transfer case transfers power immediately to the front axle when wheel slip is detected. provides four-wheel drive power automatically, with no driver input
    • Includes a low-range mode for severe road conditions and low-speed pulling power
    • Includes a neutral mode that allows the vehicle to be towed

The NV247 is an on-demand 4-wheel drive transfer case with two operating ranges and a neutral position. Under normal driving conditions, the system operates conventionally, and the majority of available torque is applied to the rear wheels. However, when front-to-rear wheel speed variations exist, the progressive differential transfers torque to the axle withthe better traction, thus minimizing wheel spin and maximizing control. Operating Modes:
    4WD High, full-time (Sends power to all wheels)
    NEUTRAL (Allows vehicle to be towed)
    4WD Low, part-time (Doubles the transfer case gear ration for severe road conditions and low-speed pulling power)

Low Range Ratio: 2.72:1
    Center Differential: Gerotor pump-applied disc clutch with low-range lock
    Torque Split: Variable (0-100%)
    Maximum Capacity Torque: 1800 lbs.-ft.
    Weight: 83 Lbs.
    Oil Fill Capacity: 2.5 pts.

10. #10 Re: 99 WJ 247 transfer case help 
    Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info. I will start looking for a 231 or 242 as soon as work slows a bit I have to get the OT while its available. Thanks again
    Last edited by helo1; 09-08-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like
    calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'!!

11. #11 Re: 99 WJ 247 transfer case help 
    With the 4.7 you should look for the 242hd. It came in 02-04 v-8 wj's in limited numbers but it is far stronger than the 242j case. It will also be a bolt in swap whereas the 242j will require an input gear swap.

Or grab another 247 case. I wheeled mine a ton and never had an issue with it. If you stay at 33's it is a really nice case. Excellent wet road traction and it is absolutely idiot proof offroad. Running mismatched tires probably killed it. As stated before they dont like that.
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

Thread Information