Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project Patriot - Page 2

Thread: Project Patriot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #26 Re: Project WJ 
    I like what they did with that rear axle...Good way to expand aftermarket availability without going 9" or TONS.....Bumper looks good too. Good job.
    04 Overland
    06 Rubicon
    Previously:
    98 TJ
    2000 XJ
    1997 XJ
    1994 Grand LTD
    1992 YJ

2. #27 Re: Project WJ 
    For how good of a job you did on this bumper I'd say you learned enough to think out a better design ... Its big for sure.. PLUS the added weight of stock hitch receiver... I'd incorporate a hitch into new bumper and use box in unibody and plate under like stock. Well a lot Og things different. Clearance weight and recovery are all important. D ring tabs? I have them go deep welded both sides of both sides of plate and bottom etc
    93 ZJ 5.2.headersCAImoparPCMmsd,boredTB,efan, custom ugly bumper,KOR tb radsup,242, 5.5 lift Claytons LAs front adj SA's rear, d44 aussie locked, danaturdy w lockright, 35s
    Bloody box addict

3. #28 Re: Project WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJ4.Slow View Post
    I do agree with jeeptech01, it seems a little bulky, like a fat woman who had lypo everywhere except her ass. You might want to move up the tire mount as well
    The only reason I would raise the tire is to improve departure angle and since my tank is the limit there and I have no plans to tuck it since this is still my daily driver I will probably leave the tire alone for now. It is easy to cut off grind down and move in the future if I need to.

Thanks for the comments, hoping that painting it will improve the results, in real life it is about the same size as the factory cover btw.
    Speak softly and carry a big stick.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo
    A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
    A few Speed parts, fun to ride
    http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
    Wife's ride, pretty stock

4. #29 Re: Project WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbeer View Post
    For how good of a job you did on this bumper I'd say you learned enough to think out a better design ... Its big for sure.. PLUS the added weight of stock hitch receiver... I'd incorporate a hitch into new bumper and use box in unibody and plate under like stock. Well a lot Og things different. Clearance weight and recovery are all important. D ring tabs? I have them go deep welded both sides of both sides of plate and bottom etc
    not sure why everyone thinks it is big, it is actually about the same size as the original bumper cover and is close to the same size and shape as the front ARB, was going for some symmetry.

Doubt I add d ring tbs since it has the receiver that I can put a d-ring into or a recovery strap directly.

I am going to weigh it, but based on the metal I used I am guessing around 200lbs maybe a little more with the tire, that is well within the weight of the receiver hitch, it is rated for a tongue weight of 350lbs without weight distribution.

I am happy with how it is turning out, especially since it is my first fab project of this magnitude. I like all the feedback and if I ever do something like this again I will definitely take it into account.

Last edited by tsconver; 12-21-2010 at 04:40 PM.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX

2006 Red Liberty

5. #30 Re: Project WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by tsconver View Post
    The only reason I would raise the tire is to improve departure angle and since my tank is the limit there and I have no plans to tuck it since this is still my daily driver I will probably leave the tire alone for now. It is easy to cut off grind down and move in the future if I need to.
    Regardless, for your first time, it's definitely not a bad way to start off. Kudos
    1995 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Project Never Done...Build 5 Speed ax-15/231 4x4 conversion
    and a stock 99 WJ QD

6. #31 Re: Project WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by tsconver View Post

Thanks for the comments, hoping that painting it will improve the results, in real life it is about the same size as the factory cover btw.

Im confused as to why you wouldnt raise the tank since your spare resides on your new bumper and the spare tre well is no longer reqd. Then you could lop off the bottom half of that bumper. I know you say it is similar in size to the oe one but the oe one is bulky too. IMO CJD did that to cover up the fact that the gas tank was dangling down beneath the end of the rig like an afterthought.
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

7. #32 Re: Project WJ 
    Not to mention the stock is plastic vs metal... x2 raise tank hack off bottom of bumper and hitch.. mount in the unibody and try to tuck it closer to the rear hatch. it looks like it sticks out pretty gross
    93 ZJ 5.2.headersCAImoparPCMmsd,boredTB,efan, custom ugly bumper,KOR tb radsup,242, 5.5 lift Claytons LAs front adj SA's rear, d44 aussie locked, danaturdy w lockright, 35s
    Bloody box addict

8. #33 Re: Project WJ 
    got some paint on it, after I welded up the seams and did some sanding. Not perfect but will until this spring when the weather is nicer and I can sand and paint it a little better.

A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX

2006 Red Liberty

9. #34 Re: Project WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeptech01 View Post
    Im confused as to why you wouldnt raise the tank since your spare resides on your new bumper and the spare tre well is no longer reqd. Then you could lop off the bottom half of that bumper. I know you say it is similar in size to the oe one but the oe one is bulky too. IMO CJD did that to cover up the fact that the gas tank was dangling down beneath the end of the rig like an afterthought.
    I keep my gear in the spare tire well, perfect place to hide all sorts of stuff including a SHTF kit.

A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX

2006 Red Liberty

10. #35 Re: Project WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJ4.Slow View Post
    Regardless, for your first time, it's definitely not a bad way to start off. Kudos
    thanks, I am pleased with the results.

A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX

2006 Red Liberty

11. #36 Re: Project WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by dp96zj View Post
    Mounting a pressurized CO2 tank on the outside of the vehicle, right at bumper level?
    been thinking about this, why is this anymore dangerous mounting 5 gal of gasoline on a bumper? I would think that would be more dangerous and yet we do it all the time???

A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX

2006 Red Liberty

12. #37 Re: Project WJ 
    Senior Member it usually runs fine's Avatar
    Because gasoline isn't a compressed gas genious. The o2 tank I have is a 4,500lb's per square inch tank. It is made of aluminum covered with composite. If that thing ever ruptures somebodys getting fucked up. Gasoline is pretty tame as far as exploding and shit goes.
    Some girls don't like guys like me, but some girls do.

13. #38 Re: Project WJ 
    I feel like C02 tanks are stored at between 1-2k psi, but the fact that the C02 is stored as a liquid means there's alot more volume of gas in it. I've watched a C02 tank violently release in my paintball days, it ain't pretty, alot of energy releasing fast. I'd rather just avoid the possibility.
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

14. #39 Re: Project WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by it usually runs fine View Post
    Because gasoline isn't a compressed gas genious. The o2 tank I have is a 4,500lb's per square inch tank. It is made of aluminum covered with composite. If that thing ever ruptures somebodys getting fucked up. Gasoline is pretty tame as far as exploding and shit goes.
    well definitely not as high a pressure as your O2 but as agitated said it is on the order of 1000 psi depending on ambient temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
    I feel like C02 tanks are stored at between 1-2k psi, but the fact that the C02 is stored as a liquid means there's alot more volume of gas in it. I've watched a C02 tank violently release in my paintball days, it ain't pretty, alot of energy releasing fast. I'd rather just avoid the possibility.
    Not any different than carrying one mounted in the back seat of your rig on a trail. Do not plan on leaving it on there all the time, just want to be able to mount it when I hit the trails. In fact I would rather have it outside in a roll over than inside where it could come loose and bounce around and off of passengers.

Also being a liquid once it is ruptured the pressure will bleed off faster than the liquid can boil and it will not be as violent as a high pressure nitrogen or O2 tank rupture.

Beside watch myth busters, high pressure tanks do not explode violently when ruptured, like it does with the scuba tank in JAWS. http://mythbustersresults.com/special8

Plus the way I am making the rack for the CO2 tank I can use for a gerry can holder or other items if I choose, it will be multipurpose in the end.
    Last edited by tsconver; 12-29-2010 at 02:04 PM.

A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX

2006 Red Liberty

15. #40 Re: Project WJ 
    updated pic with bumper finished

A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX

2006 Red Liberty

16. #41 Re: Project WJ 
    My claytons are in and it is at the shop to get them welded on, woo hoo

A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX

2006 Red Liberty

17. #42 Re: Project WJ 
    claytonized

A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX

2006 Red Liberty

18. #43 Re: Project WJ 
    Starting my own belly skid for my WJ with Claytons.

Constructed with 2x2 and 1.5 x 1.5 square tubing, planning to skin it with 11 ga sheet, and double that up right under the TC. Also planning in adding a sloped front edge to transition to the clayton crossmember. It does not hang down any lower than the clayton crossmember and provides about 1/2" of space for the TC and Cat. I am getting a new cat and muffler on saturday once that is done I will pull it off, cap the ends, burn all the welds in as it is just tacked together and skin it. Then slap some paint on it.

Oh and 11ga should be just fine, with the cross bracing the sheet metal will not be structural and if it dents a bit who cares but it will keep it "lighter" than using 3/16" or 1/4"

here is one of the cross members supporting the front tire off the ground, just a little deflection as expected.

exhaust is done, everything routed and should allow full flex and the muffler and cat will be completely protected by the skid

will finish the skid up tomorrow hopefully.

painted and installed

A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX

2006 Red Liberty

19. #44 Re: Project WJ 
    pics from my callalentee trip

A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX

2006 Red Liberty

20. #45 Re: Project WJ 
    Just got back from Callalentee, had a great time, covered a lot of the park and then did some obstacles. Was doing great after a day on Friday and Saturday morning, then I busted the rear u joint on little tellico. Not a big deal had it swapped in 30 minutes but found that when it broke it sheared one of the tabs that centers the u joint in the rear yoke off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtGGvaPYfgs

Waiting on a friend that was along to send me some action shots.

A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX

2006 Red Liberty

21. #46 Re: Project WJ 
    Storage Box

Made a storage box this weekend, needed a place to put all my spares when I wheel and my misc stuff that I always carry. Has room for 4 spare axles, tools, and some fluids. Going to add a latch to keep it closed and some loops on the side to attach straps to hold down stuff on top of it.

Going to do the gas tank tuck in the near future so needed something to organize my stuff that was in the spare area.

A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX

2006 Red Liberty

22. #47 Re: Project WJ 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Is the box secured to the floor at all? That thing would be lethal in a rollover.

EDIT: Nevermind, missed the ratchet straps.

23. #48 Re: Project WJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    Is the box secured to the floor at all? That thing would be lethal in a rollover.

EDIT: Nevermind, missed the ratchet straps.
    yeah tied down with ratchet straps, will probably make something a little better to hold it down when I do the actually tank tuck.

A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX

2006 Red Liberty

24. #49 Re: Project WJ 
    Some shots from this weekends Wheelin' for Hope at Oak Ridge Estates in Va.

Staging up

On the trail

A little water to cross

Couple of videos to come

A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX

2006 Red Liberty

25. #50 Re: Project WJ 
    Look what followed my jeep home today
    :drool:

So I got out my sawzall

And now it fits

:2thumbsup:

Got a great deal on a set of BFG ATs 35x12.5x15, like new tread on five and a spare with 50%.

A few goodies

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX

2006 Red Liberty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thread Information