Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010.

Thread: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Hi,

Well if you missed Grand Slam Rubicon last year 2009 (and I know I did) then maybe you can make it out this year!

Meeting around 0700 on Friday morning at loon lake overspill.

Friday- We will meet at the trail head (Loon Lake) in the morning and be on the trail by 8:00 am.
    Saturday- Hang out at the springs (if we make it there on friday).
    Sunday- We will exit the trail (from Rubicon Springs and up Cadillac Hill).

Min. requirements- Lift kit with 33" tires & matching spare, winch, front & rear tow points, and at least rear locker, front & rear preferred!

Please be self sufficient.

Hope to see ya on the con,
    Ron
    Last edited by wheelnzj; 05-10-2010 at 07:44 PM.
    95 ZJ 5.2L/ Atlas II/ 8.5" Custom R.E.L.A. Kit with 35" MTR's on MT true beadlocks/ Ft Tera 50 with 31-spline alloy shafts/ Rear Tera 60 with 35-spline alloy shafts/ ARB's/ 4.56 gears/ winch/ FT & Rear bumpers/ custom rock sliders/ etc. etc.

2. #2 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Scheduled... Count me in.
    '97 ZJ Limited, Atlas II, 35" KM2's, 4.5" RE Springs + ACOS Spacers w/ Clayton's Longarms, Ford 8.8 w/ Triangulated Bilstein 5150's, Waggy D44, Lockers Front and Rear, and Lots of other customs stuff....

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15667

3. #3 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Quote Originally Posted by goldensd View Post
    Scheduled... Count me in.
    Me too
    2K WJ 4.0L, 242, Rockcrusher60 front, Prorock60 rear 39.5" IROKS, Bold Bumper and Rocky Mountain Pinstriping

4. #4 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Sounds like a plan... I'll be there

Fred R.
    97 ZJ, 5" Long Arm Lift, Currie Anti-Rock, Beadlocked 35's, 231/D300 Doubler, Locked Front & Rear (Narrowed HP D44 w/ chromo shafts and Yukon Superjoints & F8.8), ARB Bull Bar & 9K winch, 1-Ton Hydro-assist steering, "Custom" body work and some other goodies...

5. #5 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Is there anywhere safe for tow rig parking? I finally have a truck and trailer.

Brett
    2K WJ 4.0L, 242, Rockcrusher60 front, Prorock60 rear 39.5" IROKS, Bold Bumper and Rocky Mountain Pinstriping

6. #6 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Member Lifetime Supporter Mochisme's Avatar
    Ok I have the same question as Slo Mo, plus a few others.

1. Is the plan to go from Loon Lake in to Cadillac Hill/Rubicon Springs area and then return to Loon Lake? That is how I am reading the first post.

2. If the answer to question #1 is "YES", then is there a place to leave tow rigs, campers and trailers unattended that is safe.

3. If the answer to #1 is "NO", add this to question #2. How do those of us with Tow Rigs and Trailers get back to them?

4. It looks like your talking about spending two nights on the trail, so is there set camp sites, or just off to the side of the trail.

I really wanted to do this before GSW or directly following, but all the reports I am seeing are telling me "NO WAY JOSE", so coming down for GSR looks to be my best bet for running this trail. Have to see how it meshes with "Street Vibrations" and see about doing both in one trip.
    Ted

2000 WJ Stock, Towed behind the Motor Home
    2000 Monaco La Palma 34' Class A Motorhome

7. #7 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
    Ok I have the same question as Slo Mo, plus a few others.

1. Is the plan to go from Loon Lake in to Cadillac Hill/Rubicon Springs area and then return to Loon Lake? That is how I am reading the first post.

2. If the answer to question #1 is "YES", then is there a place to leave tow rigs, campers and trailers unattended that is safe.

3. If the answer to #1 is "NO", add this to question #2. How do those of us with Tow Rigs and Trailers get back to them?

4. It looks like your talking about spending two nights on the trail, so is there set camp sites, or just off to the side of the trail.

I really wanted to do this before GSW or directly following, but all the reports I am seeing are telling me "NO WAY JOSE", so coming down for GSR looks to be my best bet for running this trail. Have to see how it meshes with "Street Vibrations" and see about doing both in one trip.

Typically for this one, we have always ran it all the way through from Loon to Tahoe, and have spent 2 nights camping at Rubicon Springs. I'd say your trailer options would be to:

1. Park at Loon lake, and split from the group and head back out on the trail from the springs to Loon lake.
    2. Park at Loon lake and then take the road back around to Loon from Tahoe after we finish.
    3. Park on the Tahoe side and then take the road around and meet at Loon Lake

If I were to trailer for the trip, I think I'd go with the last option. If you coming in from out of town, you could drop the trailer on Thursday, drive around and camp at the Lake, and then your ready to roll on Friday. I forget for sure, but I'd say its a couple hours to take the roads from 1 trailhead to the other. I can't speak for security, but I do know there is a parking area at both ends of the trail that are commonly used for trailer parking
    '97 ZJ Limited, Atlas II, 35" KM2's, 4.5" RE Springs + ACOS Spacers w/ Clayton's Longarms, Ford 8.8 w/ Triangulated Bilstein 5150's, Waggy D44, Lockers Front and Rear, and Lots of other customs stuff....

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15667

8. #8 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    I wouldn't park anything worth parking at the Loon Lake side. I hear about enough break ins and thefts on that side to recommend you avoid it.

As goldsend said, you can park your truck and trailer on the tahoe side, then take your rig off and drive it all the way back around to the loon lake side, then wheel from loon to tahoe, ending up at your trailer. It does take a while to do this, but most of it isn't super high speed stuff so most rigs can manage it.

I'm going to mark this down, Gunna make this shizzle happen!
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

9. #9 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Thanks, that is the kind of information I need to make my plans. I am a for sure "Maybe" on this Grand Slam.

I think being this is a three day thing I will try and talk my brother into coming to Loon Lake with me and then taking the truck, camper and trailer home and then bring them to Tahoe to pick me up. That way I have no worries about tweekers messing with anything
    Ted

10. #10 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Well I checked and the "Street Vibrations" Ralley will be taking place in the Reno/Sparks, NV area the same time as the GSR, so if your interested, you can go early and take in a couple days of Street Vibrations and then the Grand Slam Rubicon. Check it out here.

http://www.road-shows.com/street_vibrations.php
    Ted

11. #11 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    what's the rating on it?
    would it be to rough a trip on a 3 month old baby?
    could you drag a OR trailer trough?
    pic's of obstacles? ?
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

12. #12 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Crawler ZJ View Post
    what's the rating on it?
    would it be to rough a trip on a 3 month old baby?
    could you drag a OR trailer trough?
    pic's of obstacles? ?
    Theres no rating, it would be HORRIBLE for a 3 month old baby. Especially considering it's going to be real camping for 2 nights. There is also no way to trailer through...I dont understand why you would though?

I don't have the sound on, but this video seems decentish for showing parts of the trail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV3RK...eature=related
    Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 05-17-2010 at 11:53 AM.
    The Blue Submarine

RIDE!”

13. #13 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    X2 on not being a good trip for a 3-month old. I have seen a TJ pulling an off-road trailer once but it was at the beginning of the trail so I don't know how far in they made if plus I would imagine that it would be VERY slow going pulling an off-road trailer through especially with the longer overall length of a ZJ. I think it would be much more of a burden for what it's worth, and make the trip a heck of a lot more difficult for you than it needs to be. The rubicon is pretty ruff, here's a link to a brief description of the trail, TRAIL RATING, although they rank it as a 10, not all of the trail is hardcore, but many of the major obstacles are and there are by-passes for those. I would give it a SOLID 8 if you by-pass most of the obstacles. Hope this helps.

Fred R.
    97 ZJ, 5" Long Arm Lift, Currie Anti-Rock, Beadlocked 35's, 231/D300 Doubler, Locked Front & Rear (Narrowed HP D44 w/ chromo shafts and Yukon Superjoints & F8.8), ARB Bull Bar & 9K winch, 1-Ton Hydro-assist steering, "Custom" body work and some other goodies...

14. #14 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Ahhh I completely misread the trailer part my bad! I read "can you drag or trailer through?" Missed the a haha.

Yeah it's fun, and i have seen OR trailers on it before, but I agree that one would slow you down a lot
    The Blue Submarine

RIDE!”

15. #15 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Hi,

I posted a reply to Mochisme questions the other day, sorry stupid me I must have hit a wrong button as I was at work and had to go out on a call.

Yes, I agree- if your going to leave a truck & trailer then I would leave it on the Tahoe side and drive around to Loon Lake or as you stated have your brother drive your truck & trailer.

Stealth Crawler ZJ- Again yes I have to agree, not a good trip to bring a 3 month old baby on. The trail is nothing but rock after rock and then add some more rocks! It can be a long hot day and your wife and baby would not be very happy.
    Also- not a good trip for a trailer if your talking about a "OR trail trailer" (because a RV trailer would never make it through).
    The avg. speed in about 1-2 mph, The first day can be long (only if we have problems or break downs) and we are trying to get 2/3 of the way through the trail to the Rubicon Springs for camping and a watering hole. Sorry, no trailers, but I hope you can still make it.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Last edited by wheelnzj; 05-17-2010 at 03:41 PM.
    95 ZJ 5.2L/ Atlas II/ 8.5" Custom R.E.L.A. Kit with 35" MTR's on MT true beadlocks/ Ft Tera 50 with 31-spline alloy shafts/ Rear Tera 60 with 35-spline alloy shafts/ ARB's/ 4.56 gears/ winch/ FT & Rear bumpers/ custom rock sliders/ etc. etc.

16. #16 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Very good and interesting Video (Lot more there also) and more questions from someone that has not seen the trail except in Videos.

1. If the first day is getting to Rubicon Springs where the group will camp for two nights. What goes on the second day?

2. I am assuming the third day is getting to Tahoe from Rubicon Springs, so is this correct?

3. From the various videos' I see a number of spots that I would have no interest in testing my ZJ or myself on (Soup Bowl, Little Sluice, and the like) as I run trails for relaxation and enjoying new sights, not stressing myself out on the harder things if they can be avoided. I am assuming again that there are by-passes on most of the harder sections, or the hard sections are optional lines. Am I correct or not?

Some of you may think I am a wimp to look at it this way, but with limited funds, destroying shit just to try and prove I can or can not do something is not an option I wish exercise. I want to run trails, relax, view the sights and do the moderate things and leave the harder ones for the guys with more prepared rigs. I will be happy to watch from the sideline on the HARD stuff.
    Ted

17. #17 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    I haven't done a GSR, but my bet is relaxing, and maybe wheelin around the parts of the trail local to the springs for saturday, then heading out sunday.

Obstacles like Little Sluice and Soupbowl are definately optional. actually soupbowl is (going to be?) shut down permenantly here pretty soon. Greenies decided it was too much of a spectator spot causing chaos and traffic jams.

I've attempted soupbowl, unsuccessfully lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBWiKaDNWQY

and a SICK video of my friend makin it for his first time after many attempts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QhnAXiViAM

There are still many obstacles unavoidable obstacles that might bring some pucker factor or possible body damage, it's just the name of the game wheelin out there.
    The Blue Submarine

RIDE!”

18. #18 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
    I haven't done a GSR, but my bet is relaxing, and maybe wheelin around the parts of the trail local to the springs for saturday, then heading out sunday.

Obstacles like Little Sluice and Soupbowl are definately optional. actually soupbowl is (going to be?) shut down permenantly here pretty soon. Greenies decided it was too much of a spectator spot causing chaos and traffic jams.

I've attempted soupbowl, unsuccessfully lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBWiKaDNWQY

and a SICK video of my friend makin it for his first time after many attempts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QhnAXiViAM

There are still many obstacles unavoidable obstacles that might bring some pucker factor or possible body damage, it's just the name of the game wheelin out there.

Yeah I have watched several hours of YouTube Videos (Including the two you linked to). I am just saying if there is a by pass on some of the harder Obstacles, that is the route I will take most times. When there is no choice, well lets get it done and body damage is a part of wheeling like you said and we do what we have to do.
    Ted

19. #19 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    2,817 miles / 45 hours from my doorstep to Loon Lake Dam

edit: Ted, sounds like you're in need of a copilot, spotter, photographer, rock jock, and winch technician

I know just the guy – he’s just a plane ticket away
    Last edited by Sudz; 05-19-2010 at 07:16 PM.
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

20. #20 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudz View Post
    2,817 miles / 45 hours from my doorstep to Loon Lake Dam

edit: Ted, sounds like you're in need of a copilot, spotter, photographer, rock jock, and winch technician

I know just the guy – he’s just a plane ticket away
    Well if that guy is the crazy that drove to GSW 2009 from PA and he provides his own ticket to Reno, there is a seat for him with a pick up and return to Reno. PM or Email me and lets talk about it and see if we can make it happen. (mochisme@yahoo.com)
    Ted

21. #21 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    haha nice this is startin to sound better and better!

I'm sooo itching to get out there. This ridiculously long winter sucks though, all this snow is going to stick around for a while
    The Blue Submarine

RIDE!”

22. #22 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Well if that guy is the crazy that drove to GSW 2009 from PA and he provides his own ticket to Reno, there is a seat for him with a pick up and return to Reno.
    Ted - you 'da man!

hot damn, I’m going to GSR ‘10

PM sent

23. #23 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudz View Post
    Ted - you 'da man!

hot damn, I’m going to GSR ‘10

PM sent
    PM Received and answered.

You will not only go to GSR, but I will make sure you get to drive part of it also. Can not come all that way and just Co-Pilot, it just can not work that way....
    Ted

24. #24 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelnzj View Post
    Meeting around 0700 on Friday morning at loon lake overspill.

Friday- We will meet at the trail head (Loon Lake) in the morning and be on the trail by 8:00 am.
    Saturday- Hang out at the springs (if we make it there on friday).
    Sunday- We will exit the trail (from Rubicon Springs and up Cadillac Hill).
    Ron & Shawn, just curious as to how you guys did it in years past but did guys camp out by Loon Thursday night? I'm 99% sure that will probably be my plan as it's a 4.5 hour drive for me from the Bay Area and I'd rather relax the night before as opposed to driving up there the morning of.

Fred R.

25. #25 Re: GSR 2010 will be Sept. 24-26, 2010. 
    I will make sure you get to drive part of it also. Can not come all that way and just Co-Pilot, it just can not work that way....
    :budweiser drunk slur:

'I luv you, man...'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information