Thread: Tranny replacement 42RE pre 96 vs post 96?

1. #1 Tranny replacement 42RE pre 96 vs post 96? 
    I hate my life. Ive done all sorts of repairs lately to get my ZJ roadworthy again and it seems like as soon as I fix one major problem, another pops up. I just replaced my tranny cooler lines since they were leaking and added a big ass cooler and bypassed the in rad cooler, and just as soon as I finished all that, i realized that it wasnt my tranny pan leaking(well it was, but that wasnt all), it was the crack in the tranny case by the cooler fitting. And replacing them made it even worse and it is bleeding like a stuck pig now.

i have a 96 4.0, would a 42RE from any year fit? I know it will fit at the engine, but what confuses me a little is the Tcase input shaft differences. I know the Tcases were pretty much 96+ or 95 and older(assuming without input swap), but does that affect the transmission end or is it jusdt a difference in the Tcase? Ideally Id like to find a 96-98 tranny, but I need something fast and relatively cheap so if I have a broader range to search in, better.

2. #2 Re: Tranny replacement 42RE pre 96 vs post 96? 
    as for the tcase inputs don't worry all 4.0 ZJ's had the same length (medium .840" exposed), there were some issues with a input collar (on earlier 93-95 4.0L tcases) but don't worry about that. I seem to remember Cam said something about the 97-98's might be electrically different when he did his 4wd swap but I got lucky on mine and used a 95 for my 93.
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

3. #3 Re: Tranny replacement 42RE pre 96 vs post 96? 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    I can't confirm this and it might be total nonsense but I thought you couldn't swap an OBDI tranny into an OBDII vehicle.....

4. #4 Re: Tranny replacement 42RE pre 96 vs post 96? 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache View Post
    I seem to remember Cam said something about the 97-98's might be electrically different when he did his 4wd swap but I got lucky on mine and used a 95 for my 93.
    When I did my 4wd conversion many years ago I was told that 1993.3 42REs (post AW4 automatics) -1996 42REs are interchangeable, and 96-98s are interchangeable... that may mean that the 96 42re is the only odbII 42re that is backwards compatible in obdI vehicles. I didn't really know enough at the time to ask or understand why, but I trusted my sources (one of whom was a mopar dealer tranny tech). It could be something as simple and dumb as the shapes of the electrical connectors on the tranny, I'm not sure.

If I had to guess I would say that the 96 is at least compatible with the 96-98 obdII trannies and maybe the earlier ones as well... but you may want to spend a few hours digging through FSMs to either confirm or disprove that.

5. #5 Re: Tranny replacement 42RE pre 96 vs post 96? 
    Good info, thanks! That goes along with what i thought I knew, whether it be right or wrong. ZJs are in abundance around here, so hopefully the right one wont be too hard to find.

But if I cant find one in the next few days, Ill go ahead and install my 5.2l and 44re that I was originally going to use for my ZJ, then decided to use for my Willys, and now might use in the ZJ again It would be about the same cost to finish that swap up as it would to buy a used tranny. Its tempting. Only problem is I wont have any real workspace aside from my backyard for a few more weeks, and in the meantime I need to get a tranny jack regardless.
    Last edited by MrFreeze5; 04-07-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Thread Information