Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My Magnum Powered Willys Build

Thread: My Magnum Powered Willys Build

1. #1 My Magnum Powered Willys Build 
    Since my new project is going to be at least half ZJ by the time Im done, I figured I should start a build thread here since this is probably the best place for the tech I will need. I had gathered a bunch of nice parts for my ZJ over the years, but had changed plans, and got bored with it, never installed them, and it sat for a while. Now Ive got it running and driving again, and in pretty good shape, but with the state of the economy, 37s on a DD wasnt the best idea. Ive got a HP30 and 8.8 and a set of 32s that should see that truck pretty well for the forseeable future. So my dumb ass sold my wheels and tires and the 9" front housing I had about 2 months ago, along with my dana 300. Im kicking myself now. A lot. But Ive still got lots of sweet parts that should do nicely on this rig. And I really wanted something that was more of a clean slate, build from scratch kind of project.

Its a 1958 Willys Wagon. It already had a 12v conversion and had an AMC 304 and T-15 in it. The tcase, driveshafts, and rear diff were missing. Its already a spring over on STIFF stock 1-3/4" springs. Dana 44 rear, Dana 25 front.

Its got 2 heaters, one under the dash, and this neat one behind the passenger seat. I am going to clean it up and remount it and reuse it for sure.

The Plan:

My full float, disc brake, 8 lug 9"
    HP dana 44 housing (housing still up in the air, could go pass drop)
    F250 8 lug outers and brakes
    Rebuilt 96 5.2L Magnum and most of the ZJ harness
    44RE
    242 Tcase or Dana 300, havent decided for sure yet
    2.5" leaf springs, front shackle reversal
    Power steering conversion
    Power brake conversion
    Tilt column
    96-98 ZJ velour manual seats
    Tube rear fenders
    35" Tires

This truck will see mostly DD use, with occasional towing. I am pretty sure I can fit a motorcycle inside the back if I take the passenger seat out, so I want to make it easy to do, and install mounts for a wheel chock and tie down points. This truck has a lot more cargo space than my ZJ does and will be a lot more useful.

I started working on it yesterday.

Got the front clip removed.

Engine removed

I am going to get the body off the frame soon, cut off all the extra shit, and box it front to back. Ill be using Novak engine mounts since they have conversion mounts for this engine into this truck, SCORE!

I will probably keep the ZJ manifolds and Y pipe for now, and upgrade to headers and down pipe later, but something that bolts in, not custom bent. Should be cheaper and easier, and there should be plenty of room. But it depends on the Tcase. I might need to use conversion headers, but Novak has those too, and they are reasonably priced. The previous owner sectioned the firewall back a few inches to clear the AMC V8, so there is plenty of space to work with. I would like to use a 242 Tcase since this truck is intended to be my replacement DD and could see any sort of road conditions here in Co. I might use a Dana 300. It just depends on what kind of front axle housing that I run across that I like. I just missed a nice HP D44 that I dont know what it was from, but it had nice smooth tubes and no cast in perches anywhere. It would have been perfect width wise too, but I was a day late.

The rear fender openings are rusted pretty bad, but I plan on cutting about 3" out of the fenders and making tube fenders to kind of match the front and help make room for the 35s with a little less lift. Ill also need to remake the bottom half of the firewall, and replace at least one floorboad. The only other bad rust is on the lower left by the tailgate. Otherwise, I am impressed with its overall condition.

So thats the new project. More to come as I go. Personally, I think its cool that Ill be driving my Jeep's grandfather

2. #2 Re: My Magnum Powered Willys Build 
    My rebuilt engine. I need to get new cast valve covers, mine dont clear the Crane roller rockers. Ive got a FIPK neck for the ZJ. I was going to reuse the filter on my ZJ when I swapped this engine into it, but now I need to find something for it. I am going to use an open element filter since there is plenty of room. In the future, I plan to do quite a bit of upgrades to this engine, but Id like to get it driving first before I go dumping a lot of extra money into it.

Anyone need new motor mounts for their 5.2 ZJ? Ive got a new set

And the tranny. Still need to clean it up and install the shift kit.

The Willys also has room to mount the ZJ radiator, which is really helpful since the Magnum hoses are opposite the radiator thats in there and ive got a great V8 ZJ rad. Whats in there now is a 27" from a GM I think. Something with an auto. It was messed up though. It got thrown out.

I am also going to use the ZJ crossmember. It is the same width as the one thats in there now, but the frame tapers slightly from where the old Xmember was(with a 10" 3 speed), so I might need to make some brackets, might not. Should be easier than fabbing a whole beam though!

Last edited by MrFreeze5; 03-17-2010 at 06:27 PM.

3. #3 Re: My Magnum Powered Willys Build 
    Looks good.

4. #4 Re: My Magnum Powered Willys Build 
    I may have missed it but are you keeping the leafs at all four corners?
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

5. #5 Re: My Magnum Powered Willys Build 
    Shweeet!!!
    2000 WJ. some lift and mods. deathwobble.
    CSM How High Off Road Club

Thread Information