Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project : Eye for an Eye

Thread: Project : Eye for an Eye

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 Project : Eye for an Eye 
    I've been trolling long enough here. Time to get to my thread going now that I'm getting closer to the build. So heres the story.

00 WJ 4.7

As it sits right now..

A few worthless mods...mainly because i want it bigger and i'm tired of being bolt on bob

IRO 4in LA, 265/75/16 firestone destination mts, 16x7 cragar soft eights, ricer headlights with HID's (actually do very well minus the heat marks left on the cover), hella 500s, radioshack/cobra 29 cb, 4' Firestik, JCR Stage 2 sliders, stereo, no front bumper or washer bottle, Red LED interior, K&N, Flowmaster

Heres where the build starts... I've been interning/helping out a local fabrication shop (AA-Fab, once were up and rolling ill get set up as a vendor because many parts we carry seem to be used alot around here) Since its unpaid for the most part, the owner, adam has helped me dearly in acquiring parts for a good price and he will be assisting with the labor as I'm no experienced welder or fabricator (but I'm gettin there)

Parts include-
    waggy 44 front - 8 lug conversion
    14bolt ff Dually rear - disc brake conversion
    14" bilsteins all corners
    Reid Racing Knuckles - full high steer
    1ton TREs
    Clayton 6" coils
    custom 3 link front, 4 link rear
    Rod End Supply 1 1/4" heims
    2" .250 wall DOM for the links
    231 with AA SYE
    <line>35"</line> KM2s
    4.56 gears
    17x8 cragar soft eights
    maybe lockers if i can squeeze more cash
    Last edited by Arsonist_Bob; 03-10-2010 at 01:32 AM. Reason: pic removed, find a better place to flex
    4.7 wj 4" front long arm soft 8's destination mt's
    and some stuff. bigger and better shit in progress

2. #2 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 

Clayton 6" coils

17x8 Cragar soft eights - eight lug - beadlock ring in future?

Rod End Supply 1 1/4" heims w/ tube adapters and misalignment spacers (jam nuts off screen)

14" bilsteins

reid racing D44 knuckles

3. #3 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    damn dude looks like it's going to be a sick build! I need to check out the shop sometime, not many around here.
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

4. #4 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    i sure hope so! your more than welcome to come by, its a bit of a drive though i must say. we just moved everything up to pioneer on highway 88 just outside jackson

5. #5 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Sweet...

6. #6 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    Looks like you have a pretty solid plan. The only thing I would suggest is that you might want to consider an 8.8 just for ground clearance purposes since you are running 35's. Either that or go with a 60 up front to have a more equally matched set of axles, along with some larger tires to match. I realize you already have the parts and all but that 14 bolt is going to weigh a shit ton more and drag rock a lot more than an 8.8. But, its your build and not mine. I'm just sayin'. On the other hand, you will probably never break that 14 bolt!

Good luck man. This should be good.
    Last edited by rstrucks; 02-26-2010 at 03:36 PM.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

7. #7 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    Admin
    Good point. I love my 14 bolt, but drag it over everything - and that's on 42's. It's coming out and getting cut / plated.

8. #8 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Looks good, removed one of your pics though due to forum rules. More info here: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/ann...t.php?f=58&a=4

9. #9 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    are you going to be selling your IRO arms anytime soon?
    99WJ 4.0 IRO 3", 33" KM2's, skids/bumpers, D30 Aussie/8.8 open

10. #10 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    Quote Originally Posted by rstrucks View Post
    Looks like you have a pretty solid plan. The only thing I would suggest is that you might want to consider an 8.8 just for ground clearance purposes since you are running 35's. Either that or go with a 60 up front to have a more equally matched set of axles, along with some larger tires to match. I realize you already have the parts and all but that 14 bolt is going to weigh a shit ton more and drag rock a lot more than an 8.8. But, its your build and not mine. I'm just sayin'. On the other hand, you will probably never break that 14 bolt!

X2, a 14bolt will bring the suck on 35's. My buddy runs 36's with a 14bolt and bitches all the time about getting hung up. i ran a stock 8.8 with 36's. After breaking my front 30 on a trail all i had was 2wd and a v8 to get off the trail. I got off the trail with out breaking the 8.8 so now i swear by them.
    93ish zj, d60s, 38.5 maxxis, and a bunch of other expensive parts to make them work.

Truck stacks, for when your trucks nuts are just not gay enough anymore.

11. #11 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    I'd still run the 14b, just do a hefty shave on it... either turn the ring gear down 1/2" or spin it in a junk housing while you turn it with a glove on one hand and hit it with a grinder in the other.

No point in going back to an 8.8 especially now that you own 8 lug wheels.

12. #12 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    The 14b also has about a 300 lb weight penalty over the 8.8. That's a lot of unsprung weight. If it's going to be a trail only rig that is not necessarily a bad thing but if you plan on a lot of street use that would be something to consider. Just my opinion.

I dunno, I think I'd just trade the 35's for some 37's.

Arsonist Bob, do you already have the tires? You going to build or buy a bumper for it?
    Last edited by rstrucks; 02-26-2010 at 11:11 PM.

13. #13 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 

will cut and plate (eventually)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    Looks good, removed one of your pics though due to forum rules. More info here: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/ann...t.php?f=58&a=4
    sorry i didnt even think about it when posting

Quote Originally Posted by lakailimited06 View Post
    are you going to be selling your IRO arms anytime soon?
    yes, I've already had an inquiry on them but i will keep your SN just in case. (mind you it will be at least a month or so)

The 14b also has about a 300 lb weight penalty over the 8.8. That's a lot of unsprung weight. If it's going to be a trail only rig that is not necessarily a bad thing but if you plan on a lot of street use that would be something to consider. Just my opinion.

I dunno, I think I'd just trade the 35's for some 37's.

Arsonist Bob, do you already have the tires? You going to build or buy a bumper for it?
    i dont have the tires yet, maybe i could opt for something other than a KM2 in order to get a larger size (price) the downside is i'd have to baby the 44 until i could get 30 spline, ctm and chromo shafts and after this build i will surely be spent. and yes ill be making a bumper as soon as i see the funds for it lift comes first!

how much bracing and plating is needed to adequetely run 37's? i know ill have to do a lot of trimming with only 6" coils

14. #14 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    i also got that 14b cheaper than dirt so i figure i might as well run it

15. #15 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsonist_Bob View Post
    will cut and plate (eventually)

how much bracing and plating is needed to adequetely run 37's? i know ill have to do a lot of trimming with only 6" coils

keep in mind depending on what brackets you weld on the axle will give you a little extra lift. I ordered a set of BTF brackets a year or so ago and it gave me about a 2" lift. Most coils are measured from the zjs stock coil bucket location which sit almost flush, were a lot of those weld on brackets sit up some.

As for the 14b if you going to be shaving it down and it was cheap go for it.
    93ish zj, d60s, 38.5 maxxis, and a bunch of other expensive parts to make them work.

Truck stacks, for when your trucks nuts are just not gay enough anymore.

16. #16 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    no problem im def interested just keep my name in mind..
    99WJ 4.0 IRO 3", 33" KM2's, skids/bumpers, D30 Aussie/8.8 open

17. #17 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsonist_Bob View Post
    i dont have the tires yet, maybe i could opt for something other than a KM2 in order to get a larger size (price) the downside is i'd have to baby the 44 until i could get 30 spline, ctm and chromo shafts and after this build i will surely be spent. and yes ill be making a bumper as soon as i see the funds for it lift comes first!

Maybe you could pick up some used 36's or 37's to save a few bucks? When I was shopping for tires a few months ago I considered the IROK's just because of the cheaper price. I also found some really good deals on slightly used tires.

As for the amount of trimming, I have a ZJ so I can't tell you exactly. Check out a couple of the other WJ build threads for more info. I run 5.5" springs and 37's with somewhat moderate trimming. Most of my clearance gains were made with bumpers. You could always add a 1" spacer if need be or just bumpstop it to keep the tires out of the fenders.
    Last edited by rstrucks; 02-27-2010 at 11:47 AM.

18. #18 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    Progress?
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

19. #19 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    I like the idea of shaving the axle for clearance also. If I were ever to man-up to one tons I think I would have to give that a try. Either Petersons or four wheeler did an article on this a few years ago and it was pretty in depth, you may still be able to find it on their website. Pirate also has a few write-ups on it. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ble/index.html

20. #20 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    Ford 9" are super easy to shave, it's nice when it's not cast
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

21. #21 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    so today was a good day

first we went to a junkyard looking for some dana 60 hubs for a few projects in the shop. well one of the guys spotted a (late 80s early 90's?) suburban with a 10bolt front, just so happened the rotors are like new aside from rust, along with good spindles, heavy duty caliper support and new bearings, and came attached with a set of warn premium hubs. one is broken but ill warranty that and have a brand new set...all for $60

I also picked up my tres and high steer arms. I still havent got the one with the hole in it for the crossover though..must be in the mail still. not pictured..i installed the high steer arms onto the knuckles today. i'm waiting for ball joints to arrive so i can then install the hub and what not on to the axle.

and lastly, i cut the brackets off the axle tubes and wirewheeled the housing and the c's. I'm still waiting on bearings/seals and hopefully i can find a 4.10 ^ carrier soon as well. i want to have the front primarily done before i begin the rear

22. #22 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    i'm also planning on running 37's with the new axles. since I'm going 8 lug, ill be using 3/4 ton front and 1 ton rear brakes, should i be looking into a new master cyl/bb?

23. #23 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    no pictures. but an update none-the-less. getting a good deal on a disc brake/e-brake setup for the 14b. I believe its a kit for a sterling 10.25. It has a drum in hat style ebrake system similar to the stock wj therefor i should be able to integrate it to my current ebrake, if not linelock?

24. #24 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    picked up a zj washer bottle and temporarily put it in place because once i begin the lift/axle process ill be relieving the jeep of its abs and i will then make up some sort of bracket for it to sit in there better as it now sits on top of the solid brake lines

And this is the ebrake/caliper support/backing plate setup as mentioned above. Apparently it comes directly off of an excursion, it has a similar pull type engagement like the wjs so i'm sure ill be able to muster something up. we will also cnc axle brackets so the backing plate lines up. sweet

25. #25 Re: Project : Eye for an Eye 
    This is gonna be cool. Cant wait.
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Thread Information