Thread: GSSE Oh-10

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. #101 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Quote Originally Posted by slim616 View Post
    As a side note I have found wheeling the night before a Big event is not good, bad things will happen.
    wheeling IS the event besides you just can't beat hitting some trails on a summer night in the mountains

2. #102 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    I guess I need to add "install additional lighting" to the to-do list.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

3. #103 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Yeah. My lights sucked at Windrock. I'm wiring stuff up when I get it back from the shop. Planning to get the rock lights on, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

4. #104 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    I plan to head up wed night and get there sometime thursday it's about 12 hours for me. plan is it to wheel sunday and head home monday if i keep the heep together that long.

5. #105 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    i'll be there around 8:30 on thursday evening, earlier if possible. just depends on how work goes that week.. i definately plan to wheel sunday like cam i normally try to be off the trail by 1pm and on the road home by 2..

I was definately thinking of getting a group together to do some night riding so anyone who's interested wire up some extra lights if need be, i normally just pack some flashlights and headlamps... probably won't be on thursday night though cause everyone will be arriving

6. #106 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Is there a gas station within non-street legal driving distance of the trails?
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

7. #107 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    yeah, gas station is between the campground and trail head and is like 2 seconds out of the way from the cabin to the trailhead

8. #108 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    The driveway to the cabins comes out right at a Chevron station - the same place you'll check-in to the cabin. They're owned by the same guy.
    Last edited by rstrucks; 06-25-2010 at 05:53 PM.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

9. #109 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    The marathon station right across the street from the campground also sells gas and I think is the one Trey is referring to. It was closed last year during GSSE, and has since reopened (used to be a BP IIRC). They are the hookup for breakfast as well.

10. #110 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Im all for night runs but 9 times out of ten one person breaks something on that first night run and screws them self for the rest of the weekend.

Now for fri nights night run I'm down. usally at big dogs we run from 9 to 4pm, eat then head back out around 9pm and come back around 1 or 2am. Only prob with harlan from what i'm told is the police are very strict on the drinking and will spot check you on the night runs when you are coming back to camp. Not that we all even partake in any drinking. Also make sure during the day you have your license on you at all times because the police put up road blocks and check that stuff. Mandy went through one of those last year in my truck just outside of the camp.
    93ish zj, d60s, 38.5 maxxis, and a bunch of other expensive parts to make them work.

Truck stacks, for when your trucks nuts are just not gay enough anymore.

11. #111 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Im all for night runs but 9 times out of ten one person breaks something on that first night run and screws them self for the rest of the weekend.

Now for fri nights night run I'm down. usally at big dogs we run from 9 to 4pm, eat then head back out around 9pm and come back around 1 or 2am. Only prob with harlan from what i'm told is the police are very strict on the drinking and will spot check you on the night runs when you are coming back to camp. Not that we all even partake in any drinking. Also make sure during the day you have your license on you at all times because the police put up road blocks and check that stuff. Mandy went through one of those last year in my truck just outside of the camp.
    HAHA isn't breakage a risk anytime you hit the trail? Prep those rigs- Harlan is especially nasty right now!

The fuzz does set up stops occasionally, even in the daytime. I've never been stopped but I've been told they are looking mostly for rigs without working lights and/or tags, and intoxicated drivers. I would strongly recommend against open containers in your rig but it's not my job to police anyone. Either way, please keep your speed down on the way to the trailhead, and wait til you hit gravel to open it up where it doesn't bother any neighbors who already put up with a lot.

Joe that's for everybody, not just directly to you
    Last edited by ATL ZJ; 06-25-2010 at 04:21 PM.

12. #112 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    HAHA isn't breakage a risk anytime you hit the trail? Prep those rigs- Harlan is especially nasty right now!
    yes you are right but that breakage really stings worst when your looking for a right seat at the first drivers meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Joe that's for everybody, not just directly to you
    This coming from the man who has the 6.0 in there rig
    93ish zj, d60s, 38.5 maxxis, and a bunch of other expensive parts to make them work.

Truck stacks, for when your trucks nuts are just not gay enough anymore.

13. #113 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    This coming from the man who has the 6.0 in there rig
    Can you help me tie some helium balloons to my foot?

14. #114 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Do you need a tag to drive from the camp to the trail head now, i know last time i was there you didnt have to....

15. #115 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Quote Originally Posted by SCJeeper View Post
    Do you need a tag to drive from the camp to the trail head now, i know last time i was there you didnt have to....
    technically its state owned roads from the campground to the trialhead so yes you need a tag to legally drive to the trailhead. that being said i've never been pulled over but being there as part of a large group I'd say we are more likely to have a problem. its up to you if you want to risk it.

16. #116 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    i just remember last time i came 2 years ago it wasnt necessary because the atv's were driving all over the roads and up through town and stuff...

17. #117 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Yep, I'm that guy, but I always seem to get it put back together (been real lucky)the next day. I'm not driving all the way over there and going down with out a fight. I'll burn a Blackberry up, trying to find the parts I need, or something I can use. I actually destroyed a bushing on the last trip and had to buy a lowering shackle (I know, ironic right?), cut it down to size and shimmed it with a beer can to run the last day of the weekend. Being creative will save your trip. It may not be the best solution, but it beats a rig sittin' on the trailer any day.
    I'm still waiting on the inexpensive shit to break!!!

'02 WJ with 60's, locked, full hydo, ORI's, on 40's, and still have air conditioning!

18. #118 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    i just remember last time i came 2 years ago it wasnt necessary because the atv's were driving all over the roads and up through town and stuff...
    That is a loophole- Evarts has some kind of statute that permits ATVs to drive on their roads as long as the operator has a helmet, etc. From what I have been told, our rigs cannot be considered ATVs and are therefore subject to normal passenger car laws, although the cops often look the other way because of the tourism $$$ we bring. A lot has changed since you were there in 2008 but it's mainly the state cops you need to worry about...

19. #119 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Well i am a cop now. haha i carry my badge and gun everywhere i go....... is there ample parking at the trail head if needed to tow to there...like i said its been a while...

20. #120 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Well i am a cop now. haha i carry my badge and gun everywhere i go....... is there ample parking at the trail head if needed to tow to there...like i said its been a while...
    You can tow the 1/2 mile up the road to the gravel area by the train tracks if you want. But there is still another 1/2 mile from that lot to the trail system...

Just don't arrest any of us for going wheelin'

21. #121 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Also, a few things have changed this year. some of this we may have mentioned but here it is in one place...

Permits are now available only at the trailhead. They have constructed a log cabin where you can buy permits and merchandise. Permits are sold 9am to 5pm Monday thru Wednesday, 9am to 8pm Thurday thru Friday, and 8am to 8pm on weekends. Try to get your permit as soon as possible so we don't overrun them on Friday morning when everybody is trying to hit the trails.

The trail system also has much better signage and a good bit of maintenance and drainage work has been done.

The Dairy Hut no longer serves breakfast, but the Marathon station across the street from the campground does.

Campsites at the South Evarts Campground still run $20/night and they all have enough room for 2 trucks, trailers, trail rigs, and tents; or 1 RV if any of you have one.

22. #122 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Looks like my old college roomate is heading down from Lexington to ride passenger. Not sure what days he's gonna be down, but I'll forward him the cabin info (the guy said there should be room for a 5th to sleep on the floor if needed) and the BBQ info so he can send in his money if he is down on Sat.
    Robot

23. #123 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Wow So glad i finally joined this Site. Im a avid supporter on JF and have been looking for a grand slam. near me Harlan is only 200miles away from me! Won't be this year but next year you betcha!

24. #124 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    So i talked with the man over Harlan County trail system... He told me that my zuk' is considered an atv and that i can ride it on the road from the camp to the trail under the city ordinance without a tag and stuff..... Just incase anybody else needed the info!

25. #125 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Because it's so small (body wise -- I have no idea what tire size you are running)? Would that apply to ZJ buggies?
    Robot

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Thread Information