Thread: GSSE Oh-10

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. #151 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    The trails and land are privately owned and Harlan County leases the land, the county just signed a 25 year lease with the owners so that is exciting!

The money we pay for trail passes, t-shirts, maps ect goes toward keeping the trails up, building the cabin ect.. Im sure it takes more money than the park is bringing in at this point so there must be some county funds allocated as well..

Im sure the park will benefit greatly from the ECORS race next weekend. From what i've read there is going to be quite a turnout.

Are any of you guys planning to go to the race?

2. #152 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Harlan also gets a significant amount of money through grants designated by the state of Kentucky for coal mining reclamation areas. Supposedly the whole area around whitetail used to be used for mining. if you read the park board minutes on the harlancountytrails website, there is more info there...

The ECORS race will be awesome, no doubt. I REALLY wanted to go to that race, more specifically, enter and see if I could finish... But since I have a wedding to attend in VA this weekend, it just didn't add up. But if someone wants to send me $1000 I will fab up some firewalls, buy the needed safety gear and head up there next friday Looking over the registration list there are some good seasoned racers with nice rigs but some of the big names I expected to see are missing, so the playing field may be pretty level.

3. #153 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    All of the parks in my area are privately owned and it's been expressed to us by some of the land owners is that a large part of the admission fees is needed to cover insurance and the rest cover regular operating fees and of course a little profit.

Since the county is operating the park, I'd assume that the "insurance" costs are already drawn into whatever type of insurance a county gov't needs anyways -- which can help keep the costs down. It costs $35/DAY to wheel at Rausch -- and $35/YEAR to wheel at Harlan.

That business model works up here in the NorthEast because there aren't any public-operated parks, so it's pretty much the norm to pay $20-35/day to wheel here. I'd bet that if a public-operated park opened up here with some hardcore trails, that could seriously impact the business models of existing private parks since they would probably be able to operate more along the lines of the way Harlan does.

I'm sorta curious to see how this new PA Offroad Park is going to work out because it's my understanding that the county is looking to run it.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 08-05-2010 at 12:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

4. #154 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Can't believe it has already been a month... count down for next year yet?

5. #155 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Aug 5-7, 2011 for GSSE Oh-11, right? I think we were planning our honeymoon for sometime in mid-August (this is best for Sarah's schedule, who has much more limited vacation times than I do), so I might not make it next year. I doubt my rig is going to be ready for GSSE-W.

Assuming the GSSE-W continues every year, I'm hoping to make it to at least one GSSE event yearly starting in 2012, though. I had a blast at the two I attended this year.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

6. #156 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Damn, you beat us to the punch... have not even started thinking about GSSE-W, much less GSSE!

But yes, the tradition is the first weekend of August, so plan on it being the 5th to 7th...

GSSE-W may be in March or January this year, as opposed to Feb, to not conflict with Valentines, KOH, etc etc.

7. #157 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Well, besides Clay mentioning it, the only reason I asked about the dates is that I know we are probably going to be setting the dates on our honeymoon in the next few months, so I want to be sure of the dates in case I do get the opportunity to come next year
    Robot

8. #158 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Where will GSSE-W be this year (I know it is early, but the later in the year and the closer proximity to me the more chance I have of going, especially since my little girl is due in Dec )

9. #159 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigClay View Post
    Where will GSSE-W be this year (I know it is early, but the later in the year and the closer proximity to me the more chance I have of going, especially since my little girl is due in Dec )
    Probably in TN... not necessarily at Windrock but maybe... we will get talking about this soon so everybody can plan.

10. #160 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Im in for GSSE-W... ill have a new wheelbase and some real driveshafts!

11. #161 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Quote Originally Posted by SCJeeper View Post
    Im in for GSSE-W... ill have a new wheelbase and some real driveshafts!
    Do tell...

12. #162 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Probably in TN... not necessarily at Windrock but maybe... we will get talking about this soon so everybody can plan.
    My vote is for Grayrock!

13. #163 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    yeah yeah yeah... we need a massive group to get into grayrock affordably.. like 100 people or better

14. #164 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Quote Originally Posted by zjeepin View Post
    yeah yeah yeah... we need a massive group to get into grayrock affordably.. like 100 people or better
    I thought it was only $700 to rent the whole park?

if that's all it is, with just 25 people it would be cheaper than everywhere but harlan...

15. #165 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    i was probably misinformed.. 25 is much more attainable, especially for gsse

16. #166 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    I thought it was only $700 to rent the whole park?

if that's all it is, with just 25 people it would be cheaper than everywhere but harlan...
    i was probably misinformed.. 25 is much more attainable, especially for gsse
    The way that I understood it from Kirby was that it was $70 per rig for a weekend with a 10 rig minimum...maybe I misunderstood him though. Either way, that's only $10 more than Windrock, right? Kirby says it is well worth it, so it's something to entertain. I just though it might be a good idea, because we'd easily have more than 10 rigs there.

17. #167 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Quote Originally Posted by S-10 Seanzy View Post
    The way that I understood it from Kirby was that it was $70 per rig for a weekend with a 10 rig minimum...maybe I misunderstood him though. Either way, that's only $10 more than Windrock, right? Kirby says it is well worth it, so it's something to entertain. I just though it might be a good idea, because we'd easily have more than 10 rigs there.
    Still $35 if we all sell our passenger seats

I'm all for it, whether a GSSE event or a random weekend... can't believe I haven't ever been.

18. #168 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Hey Seanzy -- wanna make a donation to the rebuild of the robot

Congrats, Dude!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=915611
    Robot

19. #169 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Yeah, I saw that too. Congrats man! Hellava prize to win for sure. I love pirate give aways. A chance to win for just posting, can't beat that.
    I'm still waiting on the inexpensive shit to break!!!

'02 WJ with 60's, locked, full hydo, ORI's, on 40's, and still have air conditioning!

20. #170 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    Hey Seanzy -- wanna make a donation to the rebuild of the robot

Congrats, Dude!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=915611
    Quote Originally Posted by indy242003 View Post
    Yeah, I saw that too. Congrats man! Hellava prize to win for sure. I love pirate give aways. A chance to win for just posting, can't beat that.
    Yeah, thanks guys. I still can't believe it myself. We were actually talking about the giveaway at Mtn. City over the weekend. I'd say I can't make any donations with them though. My rig needs them more than any other rig that I've ridden in(except for maybe Cobbie's).

21. #171 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Quote Originally Posted by S-10 Seanzy View Post
    Yeah, thanks guys. I still can't believe it myself. We were actually talking about the giveaway at Mtn. City over the weekend. I'd say I can't make any donations with them though. My rig needs them more than any other rig that I've ridden in(except for maybe Cobbie's).
    Ha, what was it... if I win, I sell them to you for cheap? We never got to what would happen if you win

And yeah the way Cobbie's rides is hilarious. When we scooted back to camp from shit creek at 4am he kept up great but he was grabbing for his kidneys afterwards

22. #172 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    cobbies rear coils are front coils from a 70's full size bronco.. it don't get much heavier than that

23. #173 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    cobbies rear coils are front coils from a 70's full size bronco.. it don't get much heavier than that

LOL!!! Tell ME about it. My rig was probably one of the heaviest in Harlan While we were there. You can hear someone saying on a video of me "Man if that thing flips over we're screwed."
    78 F150 on tons and 42 TSLs, 351M, 4 speed

24. #174 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    lol yep getting ready to fix that
    Ray Charles gofast Tjuggy tons atlas 40" creepys,BLACKMAMBA 3500 Suburban 8.1 tow monster

25. #175 Re: GSSE Oh-10 
    Quote Originally Posted by bnboffroad View Post
    lol yep getting ready to fix that
    if coilovers are part of that plan, call me before you buy anything unless you already have it figured out...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Thread Information