Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

overdrive solenoid?

Thread: overdrive solenoid?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 overdrive solenoid? 
    The ZJ (95 - 5.2) is having problems staying in overdrive at highway speeds. It will kick out of OD when going above 60 and the rpms will skyrocket. I had this happen one time, probably 6 years ago, and seem to recall digging into the tranny and replacing the OD solenoid. For the life of me, I can't remember what part it was that I needed...

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...id_s/10538.htm

I think I remember it having some wires, but I could be thinking of something else.

Anyone else had to deal with this recently and know what part is needed?

2. #2 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    i would like to know too. one day i was driving down the highway and going up a hill so the od kicked off now od wont work at all and the little light on the button doesnt work.
    95 grand cherokee 4.0

3. #3 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    could be a fuse, solenoid, or maybe even affected by the TPS? There is also an adjustment that can be made to the cable by the TB that may affect it as well.
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

4. #4 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    wheres the solenoid located at on the tranny?
    95 grand cherokee 4.0

5. #5 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    IIRC it attaches to the front or in front of the valve body. It is visible once you drop the pan. It comes in a two solenoind pack. I have a box with the part number at home - if I can remember I'll post it this evening.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

6. #6 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    I still need to do this job... I've done it once before and it was a mess - not looking forward to doing it again...

7. #7 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    how much do those solenoids cost? and is it dealer only part?
    95 grand cherokee 4.0

8. #8 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    I think they recommend replacing all the solenoids at once (obviously because you are in there) so I think it will run you about $150.

*edit*

You can get parts at the link in the 1st post. I have found a kit on ebay, but they all say "refurbished"

9. #9 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    last question how do you identify what trans i have? i seen in the repair manual where it should be but i cant find any marks on mine. then i found another website saying my year and motor i should have a 42RE. is that right? its a 95 with a 4.0
    95 grand cherokee 4.0

10. #10 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    I have replaced the TCC solenoid and the OD solenoid in my 46RE. Not sure if the same part number applies but it is # 1-52118500. I think it was about $90. I put new solenoids in mine when I had it rebuilt. If you want to buy my old solenoids let me know.

Not sure but I thought that '95 and older ZJ's had RH (hydraulic) trans's and the '96 and up had RE (electronic) transmissions. My guess is that it's a 42RH but I certainly could be wrong. The dealer shoud be able to run your VIN and tell you.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

11. #11 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    copied from jeephorizons:

Transmissions
    545RFE 5 spd. automatic transmission used in the 2001 - Current Model Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L engines

45RFE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1999 - 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.7L engines.

46RE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 5.9L engines.

44RE: 4 sd. automatic transmission used in 1996 to 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's with 5.2L engines.

42RE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1993 to 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.0L engines.

46RH: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1993 to 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 5.2L engines

AX-15 5 spd. manual transmission used in 1993 - 94 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.0L engines.

12. #12 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    here's a better picture to help. don't mind the mud, it's a junk transmission.

You need to remove the governor body (four 11mm bolt, two t25 bolts, the two sensors come off with it), then you can remove the overdrive/tcc solenoid unit (three t25 bolts and the plug.) If you need step by step pictures just ask, i'll upload them. As suggested, it's a good idea to change the governor sens/sol as well since you're there. If you're changing the wires as well (they come with the new sensor most the time), you'll need to drop the valve body. Are you throwing any codes for it? I have a PDF file to of how to diagnose it and rule anything else out. If you want it, PM me your e-mail address (same goes for anyone else).
    Last edited by flexxthese; 01-21-2010 at 05:02 PM.

13. #13 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    if you have all the pictures and have done it witch it sounds like you have you should make a write up on it to help us and poeple in the future. i thought i was gona have to buy a whole new tranny untill i searched this website. you guys are a ton of help
    95 grand cherokee 4.0

14. #14 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    Quote Originally Posted by 88d50 View Post
    if you have all the pictures and have done it witch it sounds like you have you should make a write up on it to help us and poeple in the future. i thought i was gona have to buy a whole new tranny untill i searched this website. you guys are a ton of help

here

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=272568

15. #15 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    Good work! I have actually done this before too, but failed to take any pictures.

Thanks for putting that together.

16. #16 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    I have a 94 ZJ limited. Could the solenoid also cause the transmission not to shift from 2nd into drive unless I am like almost 100 percent off throttle when I am driving at around 40 mph. I dont notice it when I am at higher speeds. Maybe I just need to adjust the tps or the kick down cable?

17. #17 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    Adjust the detent cable first. It's free to do to see if it fixes the issue. The cable stretches over time and thus, needs to be adjusted now and then.

18. #18 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    but wouldn't it think that the pedal is pushed down even further if I tighten up the kick down cable? I am thinking more tps or solenoid. maybe the kickdown cable is hanging up in the cable housing and not allowing the arm on the transmission to return smoothly? I'll try and adjust it first though and see if it gets better or worse.

19. #19 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    hey could you send me that PDF??? mine won't go into O/D and a delayed 2 to 3 shift......any help would be great....

Murphy

20. #20 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    i myself have a 93 grand and i have allot of the similar problems my ol girl shifts so smooth from 1st to 2nd you hardly notice it but will not shift any further unless i romp on it and then it shifts into overdrive and on the decell will then shift into running gear SOMETIMES but tne sometimes i will have to do this numerous times to get it to shift into its running gear i have since just parked it and have researched and researched and iam just going to buy a junk yard one and replace it but been doing a good but off reading and now iam thinking about just replacing the solenoids
    and such and see if that works any thoughts or ideas on what it may be ???? i have been told all kinds of stuff also my od switch on the dash stopped working when this happened and my cruise control would not hold a constant speed .....

21. #21 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    I have a 2000 Pushing 200k miles on it Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with a 2004 estimated 160k miles motor, 2002 (miles unknown) transmission an having the issue of OD (Overdrive) kicking off while on highway about 50-60 mph on it's own. I tried pushing the overdrive on shiftier & it does nothing an overdrive stays off. I've tried a 2000 42RE transmission & a 1999 42RE an 2002 42RE all three do the same thing with kicking overdrive off on the highway. All three transmissions had brand new ATF +4 tranny fluid & filter & gaskets. Since already tried three transmissions it's looking like it's none of the transmissions & something else on Jeep causing the issue. After googling it all over the web it's so far pointing to being a TPS (throttle posision sensor) worn out. I'm replacing that to see if that fixes the problem of OD kicking off on it's own. I'm wondering if anyone else ran into this same issue & if they were able to find the source of the issue. After buying three transmissions I'm highly thinking that it's something else on Jeep it's self causing these issues since already tried three different transmissions in different build years. If anyone has been through this same issue & have fixed it. Let me know please & thank you.
    Last edited by Sku11z; 12-27-2016 at 02:06 PM.

22. #22 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    Assuming this is a 4.0L as you have the 42re, do WJs use a kick down (aka: throttle valve) cable like on a ZJ? I'd look there.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

23. #23 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    Yes, the motor is a 4.0. We've replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor) & so far the OD (overdrive) hasn't kicked off, RPM (revolutions per minute) gauge is now running where normal is & motor don't shut off when Jeep is stopped. Will know more if it's fixed it in a few days, however looking like the TPS was the cause of the problems so far. It runs about $55 to $70 for it. Ours cost $63 after taxes. If your going to replace it, easy to replace by removing two star screws & make sure to get right one that your Jeep wiring matches. Example: My Jeep Grand Cherokee is a 2000 with a 2004 motor inline 6. We had to buy one for a 2000 due to wiring connector is different then a 2004 sensor.

24. #24 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    Quote Originally Posted by flexxthese View Post
    here's a better picture to help. don't mind the mud, it's a junk transmission.

You need to remove the governor body (four 11mm bolt, two t25 bolts, the two sensors come off with it), then you can remove the overdrive/tcc solenoid unit (three t25 bolts and the plug.) If you need step by step pictures just ask, i'll upload them. As suggested, it's a good idea to change the governor sens/sol as well since you're there. If you're changing the wires as well (they come with the new sensor most the time), you'll need to drop the valve body. Are you throwing any codes for it? I have a PDF file to of how to diagnose it and rule anything else out. If you want it, PM me your e-mail address (same goes for anyone else).

Could you please send instructions to diagnose to drobinpadgett@hotmail.com

25. #25 Re: overdrive solenoid? 
    Please send pdf file to diagnose to drobinpadgett@hotmail.com

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information