Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Looking for tent recomendations

Thread: Looking for tent recomendations

1. #1 Looking for tent recomendations 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    I'm looking for a tent for the family. I guessing something in the 4-6 person size would do well. It's for my wife and I, our daughter plus the dog. I'd like there to be enough room so that if we have another kid (or get another dog) we'll still be comfortable. We have an air bed which is nice, but kind of bulky. I'm thinking something from 70-120 square feet of floor would be about the right size. Also I'd prefer a dome style tent over a wall to help shed the rain. Thanks!
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

2. #2 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

3. #3 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache View Post

Fail
    1996 ZJ Orvis Edition,V8 5.2L
    Skid Package, FM 40, UC, Dual Intake; OME Stab; Rustys 2" BB, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination M/T's, Kennesaw Multicarrier

Quote Originally Posted by InIt4TheFun View Post
    They can not handle man talk so you were wise.
    Pop Quiz: Whats more awesome than a lumberjack punching Santa in the face? (A) Nothing, or (B) All of the above?

4. #4 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache View Post
    Thats a beauty eah.

5. #5 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    Quote Originally Posted by zjfabn View Post
    Thats a beauty eah.
    Looks a little boxy to be comfortable and the color scheme isn't what I would've picked.

6. #6 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    FAWK! it worked earlier today! ok here it is

edit shit! now the other one works..... me = failure... ok I'll shut up now haha
    Attached Images  
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

7. #7 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    Check out the Eureka tents. The one that I have is maybe 10 years old, sleeps 4-5, is something like 10x12 dome-style, and I can stand up in it (I'm 6'1"). I'd buy another one, it's that good.

This is the updated version of the one that I have
    http://www.eurekatent.com/p-80-tetragon-1210-tent.aspx#
    Last edited by Ken L; 12-18-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: added stuff.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

8. #8 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    I picked up a 10x10 (give or take) dome tent at Dick's a couple years ago. I believe it was a Coleman (I'll check on it it though). It was on sale for like $70 or $80 and I honestly can't complain. It's a bit of a pain to setup (it the bars cross each other in multiple places unlike a "regular" dome tent, but I'm getting much better at setting it up to where it's not bad.

My first trip with it was up at GSO in Canada and we got hit with a horrible thunderstorm with torrential rains. I didn't get a chance to waterproof the tent before the trip, but it kept me dry the whole night.

I'm sure there are better tents out there and everything I've read said that you get what you pay for when it comes to tents, but I don't use my tent frequently and didn't have any problems so far.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 12-18-2009 at 04:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

9. #9 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    Check out the King Pine dome tent from L.L. Bean. I have the 6 person model. Has a nice little screen porch on the front to keep gear out of the rain, tall enough to stand up inside, virtually waterproof. You can't go wrong.

10. #10 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    Check out the Eureka tents. The one that I have is maybe 10 years old, sleeps 4-5, is something like 10x12 dome-style, and I can stand up in it (I'm 6'1"). I'd buy another one, it's that good.

This is the updated version of the one that I have
    http://www.eurekatent.com/p-80-tetragon-1210-tent.aspx#
    I second the recommendation on Eureka tents. I have 3 right now, one of which I have had 15 years, and just now needs retiring, it has at least a years worth of camping. I tried to replace it with a Browning tent and I dont like it. I was looking hard at the Tetragon above, but went to the Browning, whoops. My dad has 2 Eureka tents, older Wind Rivers 6 man and 4 man, and they are great. I have a Eureka 9 person 3 "room" for our 4 year old daughter and 2 dogs, it is bigger than we need.

If you get a chance, go to a place where you can try them, REI, Basspro, or maybe Dicks? I wish I had the chance before I purchased the browning. I bought it online. Open them close them get in and out several times. Stand up move around, spend the time really looking at it.
    Last edited by K2; 12-19-2009 at 01:59 PM.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

11. #11 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    Never had a Eureka tent before. I've tried a few brands and have always gone back to coleman. They last a long time and are always leak free...atleast in my experiences. Can't say the same for other grands I've tried.
    "Matt"

12. #12 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    I am guessing weight is not to much of a concern since you will have the Jeep? The more poles the stronger, also the more times they cross each other, the stronger the frame of the tent. Things to consider where you are going to camp the most. In Moab you wont need a large fly, and you will want large windows. Camping on the plains you will want a large fly, and many poles for those thunderstorms.

I also made my own stakes. I used 12" nails from Home Depot, and welded a washer on them to help hold the tent. I am sure I will add more as I think of it.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

13. #13 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    Right now I'm looking at the Coleman Montana 6 and the REI Basecamp 6.

The Coleman is $100-150 online, the REI is $400. I'm sure the REI is better quality but is it $300 worth of quality? The good news is that my local REI has the Basecamp 6 available for rental at $30/weekend so I'm thinking I'll just rent it before I fork out the cash.
    Last edited by Ted_Z; 12-22-2009 at 03:45 PM.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

14. #14 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    Do you need a 4 season tent? Typically these will hold up better to wind/snow loads than their competition.

My favorite tents have been the Cabela's 4 season Alaskan Guide models. IIRC i paid $270 for the 4 man. I cannot stand inside and the entrance is low however.

A friend just picked up the newer series "Outfitter" and he can stand inside and duck just slightly to enter through the door/vestibule. It's a very nice tent.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...107&id=0024840
    Last edited by OverlandXJ; 12-22-2009 at 03:47 PM.

15. #15 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner Pitch's Avatar
    Of the 2 you posted, REI all the way. The entryway on the Coleman will turn that tent into a kite pronto.

Some advice from someone who has owned and camped in a lot of tents:
    -Always buy more tent than you need. (If 4 people use the tent, buy a 6 person on a family tent)
    -On a 6 person tent, always get 2 doors.
    -Always get the shortest (family) tent that you can still stand up in.
    -Always look for a "bathtub floor" with no floor level zippers.
    -Get a tent with a vestibule/s.
    -Floor space is only part of the picture; the more vert. the walls are will determine how usable that floor space actually is.
    -If you skimp on the tent and it fails (wind? rain?) the cost for the motel room that you retreat to later that night would probably cover the cost of upgrading the tent in the first place.

Oh and I agree, a 4 season tent is not needed unless you are camping in heavy snows or prolonged periods of time above treeline. Often 4 season tents are 1 ply,don't breathe, and are uncomfortable in warm weather due to poor airflow in warmer months.
    Toyota FJ80, lifted, locked, slow
    Sold: 01 WJ, 93 YJ, 86 CJ7

16. #16 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch View Post
    Of the 2 you posted, REI all the way. The entryway on the Coleman will turn that tent into a kite pronto.

Some advice from someone who has owned and camped in a lot of tents:
    -Always buy more tent than you need. (If 4 people use the tent, buy a 6 person on a family tent)
    -On a 6 person tent, always get 2 doors.
    -Always get the shortest (family) tent that you can still stand up in.
    -Always look for a "bathtub floor" with no floor level zippers.
    -Get a tent with a vestibule/s.
    -Floor space is only part of the picture; the more vert. the walls are will determine how usable that floor space actually is.
    -If you skimp on the tent and it fails (wind? rain?) the cost for the motel room that you retreat to later that night would probably cover the cost of upgrading the tent in the first place.

Oh and I agree, a 4 season tent is not needed unless you are camping in heavy snows or prolonged periods of time above treeline. Often 4 season tents are 1 ply,don't breathe, and are uncomfortable in warm weather due to poor airflow in warmer months.
    Wow, you just described this tent to a T:

King Pine dome tent

17. #17 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    A couple of more suggestions: Never skimp on connecting the rainfly to the poles and get Army aluminum tent stakes. Learned this one the hard way during a nasty heavy wind storm in Utah.

We have an "six" sleeps five people and gear Coleman dome tent that we got at Kmart back in 2002 and it is still in good shape w/a lot of trips and leaving it setup for three or four days in a row.

We also put a small fake grass entry way out to catch a bunch of the sand and dirt from getting into the tent.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

18. #18 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Z View Post
    Right now I'm looking at the Coleman Montana 6 and the REI Basecamp 6.

The Coleman is $100-150 online, the REI is $400. I'm sure the REI is better quality but is it $300 worth of quality? The good news is that my local REI has the Basecamp 6 available for rental at $30/weekend so I'm thinking I'll just rent it before I fork out the cash.

You should go to the Coleman Outlet Store in Castle Rock. Typically they have stuff cheaper than even on line. If you are an Eagle Scout or have a kid in Scouts you can get an extra 10% off too.

The last big family tent I bought was from Walmart. It is a pretty good tent for the money.

Here is another store in Salt Lake City. I really like this place and go there everytime I am in SLC. They have several quality brands for decent prices too.

http://www.recreationoutlet.com/c-32-car-camping.aspx
    Last edited by Mtn WJ; 01-06-2010 at 11:07 AM.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

19. #19 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 
    I'm looking at getting a roof top tent for my rig! Looking at the kimberly brand,anybody tried it on a zj?

20. #20 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 

21. #21 Re: Looking for tent recomendations 

Thread Information