Thread: What the F*&K?!?! Help?

1. #1 What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    Ok, I have quite a bit of experience with CJ's, YJ's etc...but NONE with ZJ's or FULL TIME cases.
    background of the vehicle first- 1994 grand with 5.2, auto and full time 4x4 ( 249 i guess?), 130K, runs strong!
    where I live- Smoky Mts- and up a STEEP 30 percent grade for @ 800' with twists and turns to the top.
    The other night the wife was driving her Grand up the driveway- with quite a bit of weight in the rear ( over 600 lbs), and as she made the last switchback ( very steep section- further made so by the additional weight in the rear ) the vehicle seemed to "kick into neutral" for a second- then back into forward motion, then back out of "gear" and so on. I then put her T/C into lo range and first gear and it walked up the mountain, without further issue, where I then parked it- thinking it might be the transmission low on fluid........ok- fluid is full- and perfect red color ( ONLY use ATF+4)- no burnt smells/ colors. Then I found one of your forms where it said something about the viscious coupler as going out often.......So I turn to you guys- with WAAAAAY more exp then me with this type of vehicle for help.
    On a side note- my YJ has the anemic 32rh auto- and our drive is so steep that it would "wash-out" comming up it EVERY time when cold- and sometimes when hot even. I added the deep sump trans pan and solved MY YJ issue- so I was also wondering if this could be the same with the ZJ autos? or t/c's? ANY and ALL help is SO appreciated!!!! Thanx guys, AWESOME site!!!!!
    Last edited by fbpd227; 11-28-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: omitted info

2. #2 Re: What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    Is your t case fluid level low? Keep in mind if it is a 249 it uses special fluid. Also I used to have to run my tranny fluid a bit overfull (like 1/2 qt or so) to keep from starving my pump. Was the trans whining when it was popping out of gear?

3. #3 Re: What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    Haven't checked the t/c level yet- it's just now above freezing- so later today i will check it.....what kind of special fluid does it take? I thought it also took ATF+4 like the transmission?.

4. #4 Re: What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    Thanx, Jeeptech01!!! GREAT lil bit of advice that fixed my problem! I had leaned towards the idea ( since my wrangler with the 32rh did it up steep hills ) that the pick-up comming un-covered up steep inclines- might have been my problem- but wanted to ask the guru's! , ok, next issue- WHY my tranny fluid is getting low in the first place.....
    It appears to have a leak from between the t/c and tranny extension ( between the trans and t/c ), right at the side where the t/c bolts up to it.......I know theres a lip seal between the two on the back of the tranny....could that be my culprit in need of replacement- or is there some other seal farther up inside the tranny that would cause the tranny to leak out of the back, between it and the t/c? IF that's the only seal....can i just un-plug the t/c and replace the seal in the vehicle, or would I have to pull the tranny to replace it? If it's like the 32rh it looks like I could just pull the t/c, ext housing adaptor, and replace IN the vehicle- but I want to ask BEFORE I get butt hole deep and find out I can't do it that way ( would have to rent a tranny jack, etc... ). Any one else have any issues with the tranny leaking off the back of the adaptor/ ext housing? Did you fix it like I said earlier, or is there any tricks/ steps I'm leaving out? Thanx to all!!!!! Dave

5. #5 Re: What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    First: The 249 transfer case does not take special fluid - any flavor of ATF will do the trick. The 247 however, requires a specially formulated fluid due to the progressive coupler.

Second: The leak you have is from the transmission output (located in the extension housing, around the output shaft), and the transfer case input seals. Replacement is very straightforward, but you do have to drop the transfer case to change them.

The transmission output shaft is pretty easy to replace, just takes some finesse with a seal puller. The transfer case input shaft is easier to replace if you pull the bearing retainer plate - 5 bolts, then make sure you use RTV to seal it when you put it back on. Again, a seal puller is needed for this job.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

6. #6 Re: What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    Thanx, fpkites! I really appreciate the confirmation on the steps to replace that seal. I will give it a go next week! Also, Big thanx on clearifying the correct fluids! I will probably just use the same ATF+4 as the tranny- I do like the full synthetic tranny fluid Chrysler uses, better than the dextron/ mercon stuff. Again. A HUGE thanx to all of you!

7. #7 Re: What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    Mopar NV245/247/249 (p/n 05016796AB MSRP $11.95) (Usage of other fluids/lubricants is not recommended)

231 and 242 cases use atf+4
    All qd and qt cases use the above fluid since all full time 4wd jeeps have the viscous coupler. ZJ WJ WK XK etc. If you feel like replacing your t-case though go ahead and put some atf+4 in it. I've seen it done a few times.

8. #8 Re: What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    I used ATF+4 for many years on my 249, and the VC lasted until 12x,000 hard miles. Seems about average, maybe even longer than most. It also wasn't completely dead when I swapped to the 242.

It's possible that the 249 was added to the list of cases that want the updated Mopar fluid.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

9. #9 Re: What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    Seems like you may be the exception not the rule but I cannot argue with personal experience. I have had several cases come in with a blown or inop vc almost all have had the wrong fluid. Whether or not the fluid was changed in a last ditch effort to make it work I dont know. As far back as I can go in the chrysler database the 249 has always asked for special fluid but they tend to supercede up their old part numbers. The earliest one I found was 247 249 oil since at that time the 245 (wk,xk) was not around yet. Whether or not there was ever 249 specific oil (before 247 existence) I cant tell. So to the op do what you will. Sorry to whore up your thread. Glad you got the problem fixed and gl with the adapter housing seal. Its not that bad just be sure to have plenty of beer on hand. FP I guess well just have to agree to disagree on this one LOL good talking to ya.

10. #10 Re: What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    only cases with progressive coupler/clutch pack style center diffs require the special mopar 247 fluid.
    the 249 is a sealed unit and the fluid doesn't matter except for it being slippery. you can run 10w-30 in it and it won't matter, just worse heat and shear resistance.

viscous couplers go out because of heat cycling solidifying the silicone fluid in the sealed unit.

op, you probably felt the slippage because the early 249 cases are not through main shaft units. all power can go to the front or the rear if it's slipping enough, just like a 242's full time mode. the weight in the back caused the front to unload on the switchbacks and sent all drive power to the wheels that weren't on the ground.
    Last edited by ratmonkey; 11-29-2009 at 02:12 PM.
    97 grand cherokee ltd, 5.2, white, many mods of debatable value.

11. #11 Re: What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    What is "p/n 05016796AB MSRP $11.95"? I don't have

12. #12 Re: What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    ANY IDEA WHAT TO LOOK FOR?

13. #13 Re: What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    Man! You guys are great! What a wealth of knowledge!!! I learned more in a few posts than I asked for! awesome! I was sent over here from nc4x4- for GC specific tech questions- and WOW- Did I come to the right place! I will be SURE to pass on this site as THE place to go for GC info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. #14 Re: What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeptech01 View Post
    Seems like you may be the exception not the rule but I cannot argue with personal experience. I have had several cases come in with a blown or inop vc almost all have had the wrong fluid. Whether or not the fluid was changed in a last ditch effort to make it work I dont know. As far back as I can go in the chrysler database the 249 has always asked for special fluid but they tend to supercede up their old part numbers. The earliest one I found was 247 249 oil since at that time the 245 (wk,xk) was not around yet. Whether or not there was ever 249 specific oil (before 247 existence) I cant tell. So to the op do what you will. Sorry to whore up your thread. Glad you got the problem fixed and gl with the adapter housing seal. Its not that bad just be sure to have plenty of beer on hand. FP I guess well just have to agree to disagree on this one LOL good talking to ya.
    It wasn't my intent to argue, sorry that it came out that way. I just had never read that Mopar fluid was needed for the 249, regardless of vintage (93-95 or 96-98). As was mentioned, the 249's viscous coupler was a sealed unit with it's own fluid inside. The Progressive Coupler in the 247 (and 245?) shares fluid with the rest of the case, so I can see why it would be necessary/recommended.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

15. #15 Re: What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    Quote Originally Posted by fbpd227 View Post
    What is "p/n 05016796AB MSRP $11.95"? I don't have

Chrysler part number for the fluid.

Im going to go have a beer. Everybody use whatever fluid you want. Im chucking my 247 soon anyway Im gonna put a monster truck power splitter in mine LOL

16. #16 Re: What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    Quote Originally Posted by fpkites View Post
    It wasn't my intent to argue, sorry that it came out that way. I just had never read that Mopar fluid was needed for the 249, regardless of vintage (93-95 or 96-98). As was mentioned, the 249's viscous coupler was a sealed unit with it's own fluid inside. The Progressive Coupler in the 247 (and 245?) shares fluid with the rest of the case, so I can see why it would be necessary/recommended.
    No argument here either

17. #17 Re: What the F*&K?!?! Help? 
    200,000+ miles on my 249. Been running atf+4 for the past 110,000+ miles. Runs great. Keep it topped off
    93 5.2 2" 31's

Thread Information