Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Fordyce Nov 6-8

Thread: Fordyce Nov 6-8

1. #1 Fordyce Nov 6-8 
    Had a hell of a fordyce trip this weekend

Good news, the 9" held up great. Bad news, nothing else did. I pretzeled my new rear driveshaft the first night, luckily I brought my spare so we swapped the conversion u-joint into it in the rain, at 1 in the morning. FUN! Next day I broke a u-joint in the front 44 on the leadup to winch hill 1, trying to get around my stuck buddy. So then there were 2 of us dead in the water, so a built jeep tried to take the hard line around us...yeah he definately rolled right in between our two trucks, actually landing on my front bumper a bit. Pretty entertaining having 3 dead trucks in 10 feet. As for the broken u-joint, it stretched an ear on the inner shaft and spread the ears of the shafts a little bit. We tore it apart and threw a new u-joint in on the spot even though we could freely spin one of the caps by hand inside the ear, but it held up through the rest of the trip. Then today on the way out I stretched the straps on the front driveshaft and spit the caps off the ujoint. Found the caps, used some extra needle bearings from when we did the rear driveshaft friday night and got it good to go. Wheeled it hard a few more miles, then drove it 100 miles home haha.

I wasn't the only breakage though, it was a hell of a trip. The blazer in my group had his mechanical fuel pump die the first night and got one run up to us by a friend in his buggy, then last night he blew a seal in his steering box but was able to limp it through. The 4runner in the group lost 3rd and 4th gear, and the buggy that came stayed with us for the trip, and is running a single-sided radius arm setup, and tore the LCA mount off the axle on the radius arm side earlier today. Got it sucked back together ish with a comealong and we were good to go. Wheeled out and I had an uneventful drive home, luckily. I didn't mention that no one had grease so all my ujoint fixes didnt have any grease but what was in them, and the rear joint got some rainwater...

the camera hardly made an appearance for the trip, but I did snap some pics of the roll, some fun flexing and I happened to get one of my driveshaft so...here ya go!

The roll; My buddy in the bronco 2 is stuck and on 3 wheels, I tried to get around and broke drivers side 44 ujoint, so the jeep tried to go around.

Here you can see how screwed I was. Sitting on the rear diff with the drivers rear off the ground, that drivers front was PINNED.

Messin around at camp this morning

Now if you zoom in on my bumper...my old/new rear driveshaft
    Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 11-09-2009 at 01:50 AM.
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

2. #2 Re: Fordyce Nov 6-8 

Now that right there is the cluster of a trail tampon...

Nice pics.

3. #3 Re: Fordyce Nov 6-8 
    Lol yeah that was a good little clusterf*ck.

Got a few vids with the WJ from the trip, fun stuff. It did really well when I wasnt busy breaking it

The Bronco 2 and the WJ:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjCl-tx4X2Y

Aaand the whole group:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHExoX-PZZw
    The Blue Submarine

RIDE!”

4. #4 Re: Fordyce Nov 6-8 
    you dont by chance have a pic of the line the jeep was trying to make do you? the pics make it look flat lol
    piece of shit 99 ranger - trail slut
    03 1500 Z71, 5.3 - tow rig/dd

5. #5 Re: Fordyce Nov 6-8 
    There's a thread in the Fordyce section on Pirate from that weekend, some pics there. See if I can hotlink the attatched images.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=833202

It was decently steep uphill, then he was climbing a rock 3+ feet tall, and had a tire on the wall a little also so it was even higher hah. Hard to show in pics.
    The Blue Submarine

RIDE!”

6. #6 Re: Fordyce Nov 6-8 
    so how'd yall end up getting him right side up? lol

never mind, just saw how on pirate.
    Last edited by sasdranger; 11-13-2009 at 12:54 AM.
    piece of shit 99 ranger - trail slut
    03 1500 Z71, 5.3 - tow rig/dd

Thread Information