Thread: PSC Full Hydro Install For ZJ (PIC HEAVY)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #51 Re: PSC Full Hydro Install For ZJ (PIC HEAVY) 
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    With a stock size pulley, I blew up 2 PSC pumps. Both situations were at almost full throttle, and they repaired them; but it was a true pain losing steering with 42's. I think it was a 1405 pump, they seemed to just state that it happens if you're at a high enough RPM and something occurs to give the pump enough feedback. I can't remember the technical details.
    I'm not surprised. I have also been told to never be at full throttle and full lock at the same time... that rule is especially worth following with psc pumps...

I lost a pump once and it's not something I ever want to have happen again.

2. #52 Re: PSC Full Hydro Install For ZJ (PIC HEAVY) 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner chadjans's Avatar
    With a stock size pulley, I blew up 2 PSC pumps. Both situations were at almost full throttle, and they repaired them; but it was a true pain losing steering with 42's. I think it was a 1405 pump, they seemed to just state that it happens if you're at a high enough RPM and something occurs to give the pump enough feedback. I can't remember the technical details.
    Matt:

Curious; where was your reservoir in relation to the pump?

Chad

3. #53 Re: PSC Full Hydro Install For ZJ (PIC HEAVY) 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    A bit higher.

4. #54 Re: PSC Full Hydro Install For ZJ (PIC HEAVY) 
    Jared,
    FWIW, I'm planning to run a stock P-Pump, mod'd with the West Texas mods. I've been running this same pump with my assist with good results.
    I run the larges crank pulley GM made, and the smallest PS pulley GM made. Sometimes V-Belts have their advantages .

My orbital is non load reactive. I ain't skeer'd. If it's a little squirrely at higher speeds, meh. I run square driveshafts. I probably shouldn't go that fast anyway. Right now, with the big ram on my assist, the system turns too slow. THAT is squirrely at higher speeds. I usually end up ping-pong-ing trees on rutted hill climbs.

As I said before, If it all works out like I plan, you're welcome to drive mine around to feel out the steering. I would also encourage you to talk to Dom or Ryan about doing the same in one of their trucks. They run double ended PSC setups. I've driven both and they are nice.

5. #55 Re: PSC Full Hydro Install For ZJ (PIC HEAVY) 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406 View Post
    My orbital is non load reactive.
    I was reading up on this even more last night and noticed that the hydro bible on Pirate was saying that you shouldn't run a load-reactive orbital with a single-ended cylinder anyways. Not sure why, but that's what it said.

I also heard that it wasn't until around 40-45 that things get scary with a single ended -- but that's the fastest my rig is likely to see anyways, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SB406 View Post
    As I said before, If it all works out like I plan, you're welcome to drive mine around to feel out the steering. I would also encourage you to talk to Dom or Ryan about doing the same in one of their trucks. They run double ended PSC setups. I've driven both and they are nice.
    Yeah that's definitely the plan. I'm really curious how yours works out, because I think a 2" bore might be my best option if I go single-ended. It looks like I can get away with a lower displacement orbital (less stress on the pump) and since it's a smaller cylinder, there is less fluid in the system -- and less differentiation in fluid levels between left and right stroking.

I was playing with the hydro design calculator a bit last night and made some slight changes to it so that I can try to find an optimal cylinder size and valve displacement that gives me a desired lock-to-lock (targeting about 2.5) and is within the stock pump specs. A lot of it is (obviously) dependent on the stroke of the cylinder, which of course is dependent on steering geometry. The stock pump is obviously a huge limiting factor.

At least I now feel comfortable with all the terminology and concepts so I can hit the ground running in figuring everything out once I get an axle and figure out the steering geometry. I was expecting more of a difference in price between load reactive and non-load reactive orbitals -- but it's neglible. So it seems the only real difference in price is the ram itself and the mounting.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 08-25-2010 at 10:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

6. #56 Re: PSC Full Hydro Install For ZJ (PIC HEAVY) 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    I'm not surprised. I have also been told to never be at full throttle and full lock at the same time... that rule is especially worth following with psc pumps...

I lost a pump once and it's not something I ever want to have happen again.

Seems like full throttle and full lock is bad for more than just power steering... your axle will hate you!
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

7. #57 Re: PSC Full Hydro Install For ZJ (PIC HEAVY) 
    I have also been told to never be at full throttle and full lock at the same time
    So for you, this rule could be reduced to "never be at full lock"

8. #58 Re: PSC Full Hydro Install For ZJ (PIC HEAVY) 
    Quote Originally Posted by paulkeith View Post
    So for you, this rule could be reduced to "never be at full lock"

har har

I need Pearce or somebody to vouch for me, I have been crawling a lot more now that my throttle cable isn't on/off

9. #59 Re: PSC Full Hydro Install For ZJ (PIC HEAVY) 
    im not vouching for anything about cam going slower.. In fact i'll keep my fingers quiet about cams driving style

10. #60 Re: PSC Full Hydro Install For ZJ (PIC HEAVY) 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner chadjans's Avatar
    A bit higher.
    In front or behind the pump?

11. #61 Re: PSC Full Hydro Install For ZJ (PIC HEAVY) 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Pretty much next to if I remember, will look when I take it apart.

12. #62 Re: PSC Full Hydro Install For ZJ (PIC HEAVY) 
    Quote Originally Posted by zjeepin View Post
    im not vouching for anything about cam going slower.. In fact i'll keep my fingers quiet about cams driving style
    Just wait, I might be able to crawl if it's dry... I took the cutoff wheel to my tires again

Pretty much next to if I remember, will look when I take it apart.
    Countdown til chad tells you you did it wrong...

Honestly though that line of logic is correct, and it's why I T'ed back off my cooler (in front of the rad) to the second suction ports on my pump housing/reservoir. The main suction draws from my other res that is above and behind the pump. So no matter if I'm climbing or descending, fluid can flow downhill to the pump... Not starving the pump, using good quality fluid, and running a conservative (read: stock) pump all helps in the pump longevity department.

13. #63 Re: PSC Full Hydro Install For ZJ (PIC HEAVY) 
    Countdown til chad tells you you did it wrong...
    I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Thread Information