Thread: Front end clunks any ideas?

1. #1 Front end clunks any ideas? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    So I have a 96 ZJ 4" F>R swap.
    On the front I have new HD panhard (adjustable) and the CurrectLync.
    I also have new shocks.
    I have an Aussie in the front and can hear the click.
    I keep hearing/feeling a clunk under my left foot, usually while going from backword to forwards.
    I just had my front driveshaft rebuilt and its fine.
    I have looked underneath for any evidence of something hitting but do not see anything obvious.
    I have attempted to find something loose by grabbing the wheels, and any bars and try to see if there is any play. I have not found any.

Two thoughts, it is the Aussie unloading under pressure, or something I missed.
    Any ideas?
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

2. #2 Re: Front end clunks any ideas? 
    Never going to find loose suspension components by hand. Either have someone get in and turn the wheel back and forth while you watch underneath for movement, or get a crowbar and start prying. I've had bad TREs before that I could only locate while prying with a crowbar.

Just shooting from the hip, a clunk under foot when transitioning from R->D sounds like loose control arm bolts.

3. #3 Re: Front end clunks any ideas? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Check the control arm bushings, as well as the mounts, especially the body side uppers.

4. #4 Re: Front end clunks any ideas? 
    I would put money on a control arm bolt being loose or a bushing worn out.
    piece of shit 99 ranger - trail slut
    03 1500 Z71, 5.3 - tow rig/dd

5. #5 Re: Front end clunks any ideas? 
    one more thing that I have run into before (with Tera aftermarket short arms) is that the body uppers were like 7/16" and the new aftermarket uppers were like 1/2" (don't remember exact sizes but you get the idea) so I had to redrill the body holes larger to fit the correct size bolt in the arms.
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

6. #6 Re: Front end clunks any ideas? 
    you're right, but if i'm not mistaken, i think oem hardware is metric and aftermarket is a very close but larger SAE size. don't remember the numbers off the top of my head.

7. #7 Re: Front end clunks any ideas? 
    I replaced the lowers a couple years ago but I will recheck them and the uppers (they were good then).
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

8. #8 Re: Front end clunks any ideas? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Does it clunk if you put it in reverse, backup, stop, put it in drive, then drive a bit and hit the brakes? If so, could be your brake pads need shims. Mine started doing it and when I replaced my front pads last time they came with shims to take the play out.

Other ideas: shock mounts, top upper bushings

Have someone (you trust) duplicate the R to D that you are doing and look for movement and listen.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

9. #9 Re: Front end clunks any ideas? 
    Pass, no, I looked at my brakes too. They seem fine and tight, and I cleaned and regreased the left one, no change. Also it is strickly the left side underneath my foot not on the right.

I have caught a cold so I am quite under the weather now. It will not be until Saturday that I will get a chance to look underneath. I plan on putting the front on stands and taking the wheels off, then going over everything mentioned as carefully as I possibly can, including having my son in the seat turning the wheel and such while I look underneath.
    Fixing the front drive shaft sure quieted the front end down, nice to not have a constant squeak.
    Last edited by ZJ TINS; 04-29-2010 at 09:51 AM.

10. #10 Re: Front end clunks any ideas? 
    pads being loose is generally more of a "click" not much of a "clunk"

lay under the jeep, or find an angle where you can see the link mounts and have someone go from drive to reverse and watch everything.
    piece of shit 99 ranger - trail slut
    03 1500 Z71, 5.3 - tow rig/dd

11. #11 Re: Front end clunks any ideas? 
    i had a similar clunk i could "feel" in the floor board as well as some clunking/thudding over small bumps, it was my driver side ball joints. had to use a pry bar to test them for play, couldnt see any play by hand.

12. #12 Re: Front end clunks any ideas? 
    Is it something that just started? I mean you've got a locker, aftermarket suspension.. a lot of variables, in a vehicle that's used offroad. Some noise is to be expected in my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

13. #13 Re: Front end clunks any ideas? 
    Quote Originally Posted by sasdranger View Post
    I would put money on a control arm bolt being loose or a bushing worn out.
    Hell mine clunks but its only because the johnny joints and bolts have a little bit of play in between the two of them..
    .... 98' 5.2 LiMiTEd ....
    ────────────────
    ────────────────
    I am not stupid, just very retarded....

14. #14 Re: Front end clunks any ideas? 
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick983 View Post
    i had a similar clunk i could "feel" in the floor board as well as some clunking/thudding over small bumps, it was my driver side ball joints. had to use a pry bar to test them for play, couldnt see any play by hand.
    I'm thinking after 4 months he got this resolved......
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

15. #15 Re: Front end clunks any ideas? 
    Looks like it was my recently replaced lower control arm rubber joint. Only 2 Moab trips on it. Gonna go long arms now. Getting a quote form Kolak for parts to build my own (front only for now, factory rubber axle, johhny joint frame side.).

Thread Information