Thread: Rock Rings???

1. #1 Rock Rings??? 
    So I've been looking around and haven't really found anything, but does anyone make a set of rock rings that can be welded to the inside of the rim for added strength and protection?

I'm on a new set of steelies this year and already have 100% rockrash on all wheels, and have bent the outer lip on several of them. I'm not really ready to go to the full beadlocks, but I'm thinking it would be nice to weld an inner ring in to strengthen and protect the rims a bit more. I see that some of the guys making the DIY beadlocks have the inner ring welded to the inside, and that is what I'm looking for but it would be nice to find some made with something different than just the bolt holes in them, and without having to buy the whole beadlock kit.
    '97 ZJ Limited, Atlas II, 35" KM2's, 4.5" RE Springs + ACOS Spacers w/ Clayton's Longarms, Ford 8.8 w/ Triangulated Bilstein 5150's, Waggy D44, Lockers Front and Rear, and Lots of other customs stuff....

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15667

2. #2 Re: Rock Rings??? 
    http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...k-_p_1605.html

Just get 2 of these. that will give you 4 rock rings. cheap and easy
    95 ZJ/ 5.2 / HD Dana 44 front / 14b rear / 5.5" CLAYTONS / 38'' Grooved TSL's / CLAYTONS belly skid / NP231 w/sye

3. #3 Re: Rock Rings??? 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95 View Post
    http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...k-_p_1605.html

Just get 2 of these. that will give you 4 rock rings. cheap and easy
    I went this route with mine. Although SB406 had two inner rings from GLO(?) he sold to me. Then I ordered up a set of the simple beadlocks with two inners through the local shop that welded them on. Be sure to ask for two inners with each set. The outer rings have a slightly larger radius.

The issue the shop ran into was that they needed to relocate the valve stem because the rings got in the way. Then again, I need to run metal valve stems on mine due to the Staun's, so it may not be an issue for rubber valve stems.

www.copperheadfab.com makes some really nice "rim stiffeners" (rock rings). My buddy used these in the old 15s he used to run and his current set of 17s. I agree that actual rock rings look nicer, but I couldn't pass up the price I paid for the inner rings my buddy sold me.

Another thing to consider is that if you don't get inner beadlock rings now, you are either forcing yourself to get Staun/Inner Air locks or buy a new set of regular/DIY beadlock wheels in the future if you want beadlocks. Not a big deal since you can re-sell the wheels, but something to consider.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 09-16-2009 at 04:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

4. #4 Re: Rock Rings??? 
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    I went this route with mine. Although SB406 had two inner rings from GLO(?) he sold to me. Then I ordered up a set of the simple beadlocks with two inners through the local shop that welded them on. Be sure to ask for two inners with each set. The outer rings have a slightly larger radius.

The issue the shop ran into was that they needed to relocate the valve stem because the rings got in the way. Then again, I need to run metal valve stems on mine due to the Staun's, so it may not be an issue for rubber valve stems.

www.copperheadfab.com makes some really nice "rim stiffeners" (rock rings). My buddy used these in the old 15s he used to run and his current set of 17s. I agree that actual rock rings look nicer, but I couldn't pass up the price I paid for the inner rings my buddy sold me.

Another thing to consider is that if you don't get inner beadlock rings now, you are either forcing yourself to get Staun/Inner Air locks or buy a new set of regular/DIY beadlock wheels in the future if you want beadlocks. Not a big deal since you can re-sell the wheels, but something to consider.

Sweet. thanks.. That is exactly the info I was looking for. Its a good point though, for only about $100 more, I'd only be short a bag of bolts from going full beadlocks, might have to think about that one a bit more before moving forward.

I'm curious, have you ever tried to get yours balanced after welding in the rings? Part of the reason, I'm not ready to go full locks is that I still drive this to the trail, and it is about a 3 hr ride each way to the Rubicon and the trails around it. So getting a vibration free ride at highway speeds is still important to me.
    '97 ZJ Limited, Atlas II, 35" KM2's, 4.5" RE Springs + ACOS Spacers w/ Clayton's Longarms, Ford 8.8 w/ Triangulated Bilstein 5150's, Waggy D44, Lockers Front and Rear, and Lots of other customs stuff....

5. #5 Re: Rock Rings??? 
    I did the rim stiffies from CHF and wish I would of went ahead and did the beadlocks. Its not that much more just do it from the get go.
    94 ZJ 38" TSL's custom 3-link officially wheeled
    00 F350 dually tow master
    87 daihatsu minitruck

6. #6 Re: Rock Rings??? 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goldensd View Post
    I'm curious, have you ever tried to get yours balanced after welding in the rings? Part of the reason, I'm not ready to go full locks is that I still drive this to the trail, and it is about a 3 hr ride each way to the Rubicon and the trails around it. So getting a vibration free ride at highway speeds is still important to me.
    Nope, I haven't gotten them balanced, nor do I plan to since my Jeep doesn't see any road time. That said, my buddy didn't have any problems on the highway with his wheels with rock rings. I'm not sure it matters, but they were TIG welded on.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

7. #7 Re: Rock Rings??? 
    I personally liked the look of the rim stiffeners from copperheadfab and got a set for my rig.
    Mine are of the 16" variety...

8. #8 Re: Rock Rings??? 
    I liked them as well, and am still weighing my options, but I now think I am leaning towards just going ahead and buying the full beadlock kit and just welding in the inner ring for now. I think I can get them at A to Z Fab for less than $100 more to do all 5 wheels.

Thread Information