Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
GSW 2010 Scheduled! - Page 3

Thread: GSW 2010 Scheduled!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Not this year. Planning for GSSE to be my big trip...
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

2. #52 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    Count me in!! i just put some rubi take-offs on yesterday and did the wiper fluid reservoir/intake relocation mod, and it works!! some armor and a CB are next and maaaaybe by june a bigger lift, tires, and a fender chop

3. #53 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    I really want to make it out to this thing before they do something dumb and shut the trails down. But the beginning of june is always a little rough for me do the fact thats the last half of our busy season. Just for planing purposes of other options do you guys that run this ever get together later on in the year and run these same trails?
    93ish zj, d60s, 38.5 maxxis, and a bunch of other expensive parts to make them work.

Truck stacks, for when your trucks nuts are just not gay enough anymore.

4. #54 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slim616 View Post
    I really want to make it out to this thing before they do something dumb and shut the trails down. But the beginning of june is always a little rough for me do the fact thats the last half of our busy season. Just for planing purposes of other options do you guys that run this ever get together later on in the year and run these same trails?
    Sure. If you drive out from Maryland I can make a trip down. I haven't been going to moab but maybe 3 times a year now because I got tired of the crowds and wanted to check out some of the thousands of miles of other trails that are out there, but I can make a special trip
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

5. #55 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    I'll be doing a trip probably in October. Anyone else is welcome to join.

(Actual date depends on when my nephew gets back from Afghanistan and can then take vacation.)

6. #56 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    I head down to Moab quite often....so I'm sure I'll be able to schedule a trip later on in the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

7. #57 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    Yeeeeah, I'm reconsidering my scheduled GSW '10 trip - for me, early June not so good

I would definitely attend a ride later in the season if we could pull something together

Joe, if you're serious about Moab, let's discuss making the trip out west together 'convoy' style

Ron

[/hijack]
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

8. #58 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    Sounds good, i'll start a another thread for those who want to put together a trip later on in the year.
    93ish zj, d60s, 38.5 maxxis, and a bunch of other expensive parts to make them work.

9. #59 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    Sounds good, i'll start a another thread for those who want to put together a trip later on in the year.
    ya I have a local trip that is the following week and I just cant get that many days off work.
    stuff welded and bolted to a wagon

10. #60 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    im pretty sure im in for going..is a good 1500 mile trip for me from TN..if anyone from the east coast is going let me know we can all meet up and convoy there.

11. #61 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    Im a newb here, I'll be sure to do an intro.. I have a few Q's

1.) I do not have health insurance. Is this a no go? I ran passenger with Shinobi last year w/o ins.
    2.) Will anybody else be running a ham radio? The only other one I know that would be running it is saturnicl. As of Currently, I dont own a CB.

Thanks

12. #62 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    We don't check for health insurance, that's on you. We do check for auto insurance.

I may have a HAM by next year. It's on my list of acquisitions, just somewhere below finishing my hydro assist, anti-rocks, and getting rid of my front spool.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

13. #63 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    auto insurance, how do you get that on the tube buggys?

14. #64 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    auto insurance, how do you get that on the tube buggys?

My buggy had a re-issued VIN and was licensed as a 2002 Grand Cherokee ATV. I never drove it on the road (nor was it licensed for such) and at the time they didn't offer any insurance for this type of vehicle--and believe me I tried. Wheelin without insurance is stupid--especially in a buggy where the possiblity of a rollover injuring yourself, passengers, or spectators is much greater. Luckily there are a few agencies that do insure buggies now so it shouldn't be too difficult to find them and get it taken care of.

But, there are still those cheapskates that refuse to get the insurance and put themselves at risk. Probably the same people that build a trailer queen and then bitch that they can't drive it around on the streets without getting a ticket and whine when they have to shuttle back and forth to get their tow rig

15. #65 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I may have a HAM by next year. It's on my list of acquisitions, just somewhere below finishing my hydro assist, anti-rocks, and getting rid of my front spool.
    You should totally get your ham. its so nice to have. 15.00 for your license (10 years) and a single band mobile is about 140.00. I was on a trail run in a canyon 20 miles outside reno, and I was talkin to a buddy of mine on simplex (which is like cb) 35 miles away crystal clear.

16. #66 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    A lot of the guys I go wheelin with have them. We typically have 6-8 rigs on our overland style trips and each rig covers ground at it's own pace. Often time we'll be spread out over 5-10 miles, and the CB just doesn't quite cut it--especially from front to back.

Just need to get it done.

17. #67 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    Just need to get it done.
    Do they have courses you have to take then? I've never looked into it, but it would be nice to have for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

18. #68 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    I would like to move to a HAM radio as well, I wonder if we could have everyone convert. Less overtalk or stepping on each other and better if there is an emergency and people need parts of help.

Think, we could have had Matt off the trail way earlier in '06 or was it '07.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

19. #69 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    My buggy had a re-issued VIN and was licensed as a 2002 Grand Cherokee ATV. I never drove it on the road (nor was it licensed for such) and at the time they didn't offer any insurance for this type of vehicle--and believe me I tried. Wheelin without insurance is stupid--especially in a buggy where the possiblity of a rollover injuring yourself, passengers, or spectators is much greater. Luckily there are a few agencies that do insure buggies now so it shouldn't be too difficult to find them and get it taken care of.

But, there are still those cheapskates that refuse to get the insurance and put themselves at risk. Probably the same people that build a trailer queen and then bitch that they can't drive it around on the streets without getting a ticket and whine when they have to shuttle back and forth to get their tow rig
    out this way the only rigs that have insurance for the most part are ones that are streetable or started life as a street rig and still have tags on them. I would say about 60% of the rigs I come across on the trails have no tags on them (granted I would probly see more tagged vehicals if i ran easyier trails) i'm guessing about 99% of those with out tags have no insurance. Most insurance companies im familiar with at least on the east coast will not pay out if they find out the vehical was damaged or damaged someone else while offroading. Case in point I new some who got stuck in a field and left to go get some help. While he was gone his muffler set the grass on fire and burned his rig to the ground. Once the insurance company got wind of how it happened they refused to pay. Ive heard of atv/motorcycle insurance but i'm not sure if that would cover a jeep/buggy. I may have to look into that.

One good thing about owning two green zjs close in years is that I can switch tags back and forth giving me insurance on the trail rig for what its worth.

20. #70 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    ....and insurance fraud is fun!
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

21. #71 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    And the insurance company is too stupid to have a VIN check as part of any claims process.

22. #72 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady View Post
    Do they have courses you have to take then? I've never looked into it, but it would be nice to have for sure.
    The best way to study for the Technician class, is to go to qrz.com and take the Ham Technician tests.. there are 100+ questions to study (multiple choice.. as is the main test) and there are only 35 main questions. They are pretty much all common sense questions.

study for the test, log on to arrl.org, check to see when the next testing date is in your area. The test/license fee is 10.00 and that grants you a license for 10 years.
    ArloGuthroJeep to 311 WJ: So what obstacle did you break on? Dave.

Josh Thompson
    2007 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 5.9 Cummins

23. #73 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Also out west most of the roads we're on are actual county roads or USFS roads, so technically we are not actually "off-roading." I know many people who have had trail damage covered by their insurance.

24. #74 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    IMO this is the best HAM study guide. It has all 328 questions in the test pool and comes with a disk with practice exams. Read it on Thursday, practice tests on Friday, took test on Saturday and passed with a 100%

http://www.haminstructor.com/
    Gordon West's
    99' WJ
    Custom LA lift with 14" Fox coilovers, FW Super 60 front and Sterling 10.5 rear locked, Custom front and rear bumpers, raised gas tank, boat sides, 37's and lots of fender trimming

25. #75 Re: GSW 2010 Scheduled! 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    Also out west most of the roads we're on are actual county roads or USFS roads, so technically we are not actually "off-roading." I know many people who have had trail damage covered by their insurance.
    I made a claim (from the "Chutes" on Kelly Flats)...they asked where and I said on Forest Service Road XXX...fixed my Jeep up just fine
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

Thread Information