Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Spidertrax Chassis - Page 2

Thread: Spidertrax Chassis

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #26 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraqa View Post
    you might want to rethingk the low and long.

i was 21" belly with 109" WB and even with the rear steer the thing was not much more nimble then the previouse Kraq-Rock buggy.

i woudl not go more then 106" with a buggy.

my rear drive shaft is only 20" long. 1410 gold seal offset u-joints give it enough angle for my 14" CO's. thats including the pumkin being offset to the side by 7"

20" is some what manageable. The buggy sits at 103" right now. Way to short for my drivetrain. I think the DS would be around 13" long. This is guestimate figure just by measuring the overall length om motor/trans/tcase. We will see where it comes out. I removed a shit ton of bars last night and have a bunch of clean up work to do.

If I can get the wheel base between 107-110 I will be happy. From what I have been able to dig up, most of the KOH buggies were around this wheel base. This rig will see most of it's time at the hammers. I need to get the motor/trans/tcase set in first, then I can make some decisions.

What have I gotten myself into....

2. #27 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    A little progress this weekend. I made some room for my 6.0. Motor will be going in from the bottom.

One problem I see is that my drivetrain is really long. I need to get the motor far forward. I am thinking about notching the front truss. Make a horse shoe shape for the crank pulley. I gain about 5". Anybody have some thoughts on this.

It's been hot in the garage. Need to keep hydrated...
    Last edited by Tommy; 09-08-2009 at 12:40 PM.

3. #28 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    I took some measurments. Totally compressed I am 12" off the ground at the belly and 5 ' 2" to the top of the roof.

4. #29 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    nice build.. looks like its going to be quite the squeeze to get that engine and tranny in there! Good luck!

G-
    04 WJ, Limited, 4.7 HO, 242 Swap, 6" Clayton Longarm'd, 35" BFG KM2's, 17" WER Beadlocks OMF rings, Kevin's Sliderz, Kevins HD Tie Rod, TNT Customs Hi-Steer, Fox Bypasses, 4.56 Gears,
    Incline Winch Bumper from Frantzdesignworks.com

5. #30 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner chadjans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    A

Yeah drink plenty of that water beer.

6. #31 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    [/QUOTE]

All I have to say is I feel sorry for your taste buds for being put through the taste from that liquid.
    08 tundra double cab 5.7 4x4

I am jeepless at the moment.

Sold- Stock 03 WJ, 4.7HO. lift coming soon.

Sold-97 ZJ laredo 4.0, 242 RE BB, 31" BFG MTs, custom rear storage boxs, magnaflow hi flow cat, flow 70 series, 2.5 inch exhaust, jks quicker discos and some other crap
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2221028

7. #32 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    LOL.

You guys like bud light don't you? Probably drink tecate as well.

I am perfectly content with my water. And perfer not having the headaches that any bud product gives you. Plus for 19.99 a 36'er you cant go wrong. Especially when certain buddies don't contribute to the beer fund....

When coors light isn't consumed it is usually pacifico, new castle, or guiness.

8. #33 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    LOL.

When coors light isn't consumed it is usually pacifico, new castle, or guiness.
    X2!!!
    96 ZJ Limited, 5.2 with K&N filter, Hi flow cat, Cherry bomb extreme muffler, Clayton long arms 6" lift, Steering box brace from KOR, KOR track bar Conversion,TnT steering, 242 TC, 8.8 with ARB Locker, dana 30, 4.88 gearing, 35 KM2's
    KOR bumpers
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17149
    07 CRF250X

9. #34 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner chadjans's Avatar
    Tommy the quality of your chassis looks a lot different than Tracy's Rock Bug I got to see a few weekends ago.

How do the welds look?

10. #35 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    The welds that spidertrax did are on par for the quality of that shop. I can't say the same for other work done to it..... Hence me cutting so much shit out of it. The whole rear section will be cut off. I am not a huge fan of dimple dye, not to mention how the shit do you remove the gas tank. WTF... I am saving the front shock towers becuase I like them. They will be ground down smooth though. I am starting over with the rear. You should have seen all of the hoky crap I removed. And still more to remove. I should buy stock in a manufacturer of flap discs, sawzall blades, and cut off wheels.

Tally so far.
    1 set of plasma cutter consumables
    4 60 grit flap discs
    12 sawzall blades
    4 cut off wheels

The chassis was definately not in the condition I was told it was. I dont even want to get started on that subject. I am not spidertrax or a licensed welder. I dont do this for a living but I am sort of an anal SOB. I will clean up the chassis to the best of my abilities. Take my time and hopefully come out with a functional rig.

Tommy
    Last edited by Tommy; 09-10-2009 at 11:21 AM.

11. #36 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    That sucks. Hopefully you can get it the point that you want. Was this purchased used or straight from spidertrax?

12. #37 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    judging by those cut off parts it was used

13. #38 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    It was used.

Here is the old build thread from pirate.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...1854&highlight=

It will look much different when I am done.

Tommy
    Last edited by Tommy; 09-14-2009 at 02:54 AM. Reason: fixed link

14. #39 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    That used to look pretty sick. Can't wait to see a 6.0 powered version 2.0

and you're link doesn't work.
    Last edited by downtowncb; 09-14-2009 at 02:39 AM.
    I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

15. #40 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    I need motivation. Here are some more pics of what the buggy looked like in its former life....

16. #41 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    Holy shit, thats pretty sweet, good motivation, if that setup works that well, version 2 is sure to be awesome!
    Neil R.

93 318 ZJ, HP30, 8.8, 4.56, 35"s, tube.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    WTF? A unibody won? Did they build a mall at the finish line or something?

Funniest thread on MC

17. #42 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    Yeah the shots of it from a distance aren't bad, but I was browsing through that build thread and well... I'm not an expert by any means, but the welds that guy did are kinda shoddy.

18. #43 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    Quote Originally Posted by chadjans View Post
    Yeah drink plenty of that water beer.
    Was just up visiting a buddy in Denver area earlier this month and we did the tour, that shit sucks even more fresh. Your taste bud must hate you, lol.

Sweet build though, can't wait to see the progress.
    Last edited by GOTMTNS; 09-26-2009 at 10:46 PM.
    Dan- '93 ZJ ,4.0, 249 TC(soon to be 231), open 30/open 35, 3.5" lift, 32x11.50x15s, sliders, KO radiator support, KCs and trimmed.

19. #44 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    Why did the previous owner sell it? After looking through the build thread it looks like the guy put a lot of time into it to just take it apart and sell.
    I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

20. #45 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    Were the bypasses added after the original build? I see they aren't installed in the second pic

21. #46 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    I think he ran the bypasses now and then depending on the type of wheeling he was doing. I am not a 100% sure though. Basically all of the rear is getting cut off. I am staring over back there. I tried e-mailing both Justin and the original owner and have failed to get a response. As far as the "shoddy" welds, you see that pile of shit in the back of my pick up... It is getting bigger. Enough said.

With all of the cutting, and reworking I could have probably built my own chassis... When I got the thing home and really started looking over it closely I was far from impressed. I guess the meaning of the word "clean" differs from person to person. That is all I will say about that. I will just deal with what I have and make it into what I want.

From what Justin (rustynailjustin from pirate) told me the original owner has the Moab Motorsports fab shop. I think he started selling parts from the rig to keep the business. This rig was entered to run KOH last year but becuase of the hard times and how many parts were sold off the rig Justin had to race prep his landcrusier. However I would like to know more about this? From the original build thread.

kidkrawler

Member # 79762

Pretty sure he tore this thing down, but last time I talked to him he was pretty shaken up

15 foot wide washout + 50mph and very little up-travel = AWESOME
    Justin explained that he liked the rig so much that he bought it from Ryan in it's current state. But he had to many projects and wanted to buy some property so the rig came up for sale again. That is how it came into my hands.
    Last edited by Tommy; 09-27-2009 at 01:58 PM.

22. #47 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    Yeah I saw that comment and was suprised you hadn't noted it...have you checked the chassis (or whats left) for symmetry?
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

23. #48 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    Core of the chassis seems straight. There was so much triangulation. One of the biggest problems I found was that the main crossmember is bent where the lower links mount. They had cut out a section and half ass butt welded another piece in. No wonder it is bent... The piece will need to be cut out and replaced. All of the heims seem to be good, but every link bar is bent. They were made from .250 wall. That is no biggie as I will be replacing the link bars anyways with some aluminum ones. Plus the chassis is used. What can you expect.
    Last edited by Tommy; 09-28-2009 at 10:54 AM.

24. #49 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    Wow that sucks, sounds like a lot of extra work. You going with 2" or 2.5" 7075? Do you know if the .250 wall links the were mild or chromoly, and were they treated? what diameter were they?

25. #50 Re: Spidertrax Chassis 
    Do you know if the .250 wall links the were mild or chromoly, and were they treated? what diameter were they?
    Definately mild, run of the mill DOM. 2" in diameter.

I am most likely going 2" 7075, what company I don't know yet. A buddy of mine might be able to make me a set.

Tommy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Thread Information