Thread: Strke Ravine - May 09

1. #1 Strke Ravine - May 09 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Did a pre-run trip before GSW to figure out what looked like a fairly straight forward trip on Saturday, well that was before the hail and rain storm hit. That made the trail super slick as it is not in the sandy area of Moab, but south in the shale/clay stuff in areas. Over all it was good and challenging and once I figured out ways out--on Sunday after I went in via BFE--in case someone runs into problems, it was way better. Oh yea, I was doing this solo, not recommended and with the semi-slick trail, big rocks, and not being quite sure that I was on the trail, it kind of freaked me out a couple of times.

The trail is long if you run the whole thing, but I figured out how to put together some of the challenging parts for a morning worth of wheeling.
    Attached Images      
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

2. #2 Re: Strke Ravine - May 09 
    The first step hill has a bypass and was way longer tha I thought, I didn't try the hill as it was really slick just getting setup on the lower part and being solo w/out a spotter or help just didn't seem like a good idea.

I didn't get many pictures of the other rocky hills, both decents and climbs as I was way more focused and just getting out to self spot the ledges going down and climbs up.
    Attached Images      
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

3. #3 Re: Strke Ravine - May 09 
    Oh yea, not the mud packed in the lugs of the AT's, really gave some climbs that extra challenge and I am really glad the rear locker worked as planned.

There is one section of a longer creek bottom run that goes right under Area BFE, this is the part that I figured out Sunday after going in the normal exit and realizing when looking across the canyon that I climbed up the other side.

When I was in the creek bottom Saturday I was 25 yards away from exiting via Area BFE and being able to come back Sunday after it dried out some more. Oh well.

Someday I will get the trial finished, no rain and starting earlier in the AM.
    Attached Images   
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

4. #4 Re: Strke Ravine - May 09 
    Member Lifetime Supporter Mochisme's Avatar
    Nice photos, thanks for sharing yoru adventure in the Mud of Moab.

I sure hope it is dry for GSW as I am tired of running in the rain and mud that we get in the Pacific Northwest. Dry and Sunny!!
    Ted

2000 WJ Stock, Towed behind the Motor Home
    2000 Monaco La Palma 34' Class A Motorhome

5. #5 Re: Strke Ravine - May 09 
    nice teaser shots
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

6. #6 Re: Strke Ravine - May 09 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    I really like your rig. Not everyone needs one tons and 39's to explore and have a good time. Did you see a group of LandCruisers down there this weekend? There was a huge event that I wish I could've made.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

7. #7 Re: Strke Ravine - May 09 
    Thanks for the complements the ZJ, it is coming together. Once I get long arms I should be done. Of course I said a BB and 31's would be all that I would ever need. Thanks Cody! (For mentioning GSW when I was picking up axles for 3.73's back in '03)

Yea, it was Cruise Moab and lots of Crusher's there. Too bad I couldn't have gotten my 40 down there to sell to someone. There were some really nice rigs and some drivers that just have their noses too high in the air. Funny, Grand folks look at rigs that are built and appreciate(sp) the work, but a lot of FJ people act as if they walk on water. Not to bash all FJ owners, but it is an interesting observation. Hell, the mountain bikers were friendlier.

Some seriously build 40s too that were cleanly built, oh imagine what I could do with more money and time...

And if Cody reads this, what is up with the UT kids wearing the rolled bandana's? I thought that went out about 4-5 years ago after Cody did it?
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

Thread Information