Thread: Happy but bummed.

1. #1 Happy but bummed. 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    Well I am going to GSW but my oldest son (back from Iraq) cant make it. They wont let him off due to shortage in the shop (Afghanistan and training sukking up all the troops). My youngest is going so it will still be a fairly decent family afair (Dad and Tom of course). We thought our cousin might make it, ex-SEAL, but he is still fighting for insurance claims and monies owed him from a near fatal, debilitating accident. That and the poor guy is on so much morphine he has trouble keeping things straight (3 1/2 years later).

So a partial Zehrbach clan will attend. See you all there.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

2. #2 Re: Happy but bummed. 
    Member Lifetime Supporter Mochisme's Avatar
    Look forward to meeting the Clan in Moab.

And a big thanks to your family members for their service.
    Ted

2000 WJ Stock, Towed behind the Motor Home
    2000 Monaco La Palma 34' Class A Motorhome

3. #3 Re: Happy but bummed. 
    actually it kinda sucks for me too - my wife wanted to go and my 15 year old son was upset the other day when i told him he wasn't going - for some reason he was under the impression he was hitting MOAB with me - we've been talking about it for a few years now

this will most likely be my one and only GSW
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

4. #4 Re: Happy but bummed. 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Well THAT sucks.

Tell Craig any time he wants to come out to wheel, just let me know. So, he's not going to get to take any "major" vacation before his next overseas assignment.

I thought Ed had already received the check? Damn legal system.

Ed (our cousin) was was hit by an asshole who wanted to commit suicide by vehicle - instead of ramming his vehicle into an abutment he T-boned Ed's near-stationary F350 at 50+ mph.

5. #5 Re: Happy but bummed. 
    I took mine when they were 14 and 15. If there is any chance you can take him do so, especially if you think this may be your only opportunity. The scenery will blow your (and his) mind. I simply cannot express the joy of Jeeping with comrades enjoying the quiet and outdoors with the family. I feel unbelievably lucky to be able to do this. Just do not regret not taking you son (whether you do or don't).
    Anyone... anyone who likes the out doors, something different, something new, should try this once. And do not forget the camera or video. Plenty of us to take pics of you and yours along the way.

Last I heard Ed 'won', but now on appeal. Between the jerk that hit him and the court system, I honestly do not know who is worse.
    Last edited by ZJ TINS; 05-04-2009 at 11:32 PM.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

6. #6 Re: Happy but bummed. 
    the school year in pennsy finishes up june 16th - there's no way i can pull him out of school for 2 weeks during that time especially with finals
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

7. #7 Re: Happy but bummed. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudz View Post
    actually it kinda sucks for me too - my wife wanted to go and my 15 year old son was upset the other day when i told him he wasn't going - for some reason he was under the impression he was hitting MOAB with me - we've been talking about it for a few years now

this will most likely be my one and only GSW
    If this could be your one and only, then please try and find a way to bring your son with you. It will be an experence he will never forget and doing it with his dad will just make it even more special to him.
    Ted

8. #8 Re: Happy but bummed. 
    the school year in pennsy finishes up june 16th - there's no way i can pull him out of school for 2 weeks during that time especially with finals
    You have to keep him isolated because of Swine Flu, I heard the President say it, so it is your civic duty to protect him and America.
    Ted

9. #9 Re: Happy but bummed. 
    Home school, early finals? I know what it like, you do what you can.

10. #10 Re: Happy but bummed. 
    4 JEEPIN Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner

Fly him in and out of Denver so he misses a week or less? You guys could pick him up Thursday and bring him back Sunday night or Monday and he only misses 2-3 days?
    Sandy Reshes
    Every GSW since it started in 1998, except for 2014
    95 ZJ with Clayt's longarms, some cool ARB & OME stuff
    05 Rubicon

Please patronize our GSW sponsors

11. #11 Re: Happy but bummed. 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy R View Post
    Fly him in and out of Denver so he misses a week or less? You guys could pick him up Thursday and bring him back Sunday night or Monday and he only misses 2-3 days?
    You could even fly him to Grand Junction, Colorado - 90 minutes away from Moab and may not cost any more than Denver.

12. #12 Re: Happy but bummed. 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Flying in to GJ will add another $80 or so, always expensive to fly GJ, unless you are flying to/from Vegas. Montrose is usually less expensive, but further out of the way.

Sorry to be a bummer, would be better to work a Denver pickup as you are coming through Denver anyway.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

Thread Information