Thread: Does anyone here have experience hiring a fixer?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #26 Re: Does anyone here have experience hiring a fixer? 
    I traveled to Guatemala recently, and it wasn't too bad. We flew in the Guatemala city where we stayed for most of the trip. It was not a good idea to go past the 15 foot wall surrounding the house after dark, that's for sure.

We traveled up to Chichicastenango via bus and had no troubles, but I am sure that it is more than common for bad things to occur along these remote, mountain roads. We also went to Tikal, to see the Mayan ruins, and actually did run into a bit of trouble up there. Our plane (tiny little turboprop) was stopped on the runway by a group of men with shotguns and AK-47's or a good semi-auto knockoff. They held us up for only about 20 minutes and eventually took some money and left.

Scary 20 minutes.
    Krash80: And my trailer weighs 8,000 lbs empty.
    CurtP: What does your house have to do with any of this?

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.
    ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

2. #27 Re: Does anyone here have experience hiring a fixer? 
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanA View Post
    I traveled to Guatemala recently, and it wasn't too bad. We flew in the Guatemala city where we stayed for most of the trip. It was not a good idea to go past the 15 foot wall surrounding the house after dark, that's for sure.

We traveled up to Chichicastenango via bus and had no troubles, but I am sure that it is more than common for bad things to occur along these remote, mountain roads. We also went to Tikal, to see the Mayan ruins, and actually did run into a bit of trouble up there. Our plane (tiny little turboprop) was stopped on the runway by a group of men with shotguns and AK-47's or a good semi-auto knockoff. They held us up for only about 20 minutes and eventually took some money and left.

Scary 20 minutes.
    Sadly that's life there now. You live behind 15 foot walls, topped with broken glass, and you do everything you can do to not draw attention to the fact that you might have money when in public.

Having had that experience. Imagine trying to travel across South America, in a Jeep, loaded down with all sorts of goodies.. And if by some miracle you make it to your destination, turning back and trying it again.

3. #28 Re: Does anyone here have experience hiring a fixer? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    you need to post on www.expeditionportal.com there are lots of guys that have done similar trips that can offer excellent advice.

I think the key is to try to draw as little attention to yourself as possible, and a ZJ might not necessarily be the best choice of vehicles for a trip like that--both for blending in and in the instance you need to find replacement parts.

driving all the way down into S. America is one of my goals in the next few years. I think that it would be an awesome experience.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

4. #29 Re: Does anyone here have experience hiring a fixer? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    My new puppy was fixed at 4 months in St Martins Island. I can find out the name of the fixer for you!
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

5. #30 Re: Does anyone here have experience hiring a fixer? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    you need to post on www.expeditionportal.com there are lots of guys that have done similar trips that can offer excellent advice.

I think the key is to try to draw as little attention to yourself as possible, and a ZJ might not necessarily be the best choice of vehicles for a trip like that--both for blending in and in the instance you need to find replacement parts.

driving all the way down into S. America is one of my goals in the next few years. I think that it would be an awesome experience.
    I'm starting to rethink the idea of the ZJ. I love mine, and I really want to drive it, BUT I've also started thinking about getting a Land Rover Defender for the trip. I've also been approached by a manufacturer about using one of their cars, that kinda fell apart but it shows there is interest out there for sponsorships. Right now I'm keeping my mind open with the default plan of driving the Jeep.
    94 5.2 LTD - Bone stock w/242 swap. 237k miles now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information