Thread: Anybody run an NV4500?

1. #1 Anybody run an NV4500? 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    I have searched and found bits of info but nothing solid. Anybody know of a write-up of an install behind a V8. I know the floor will have to be trimmed and I'd need DS's altered as well as reworked T-case linkage.

For anybody that has done it - are you happy with it? I know the PCM will set a code but will it effect driveablility?

Action Fab, you ever get one installed? I saw on pirate where you were asking about it.
    Last edited by rstrucks; 02-28-2009 at 08:13 PM.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

2. #2 Re: Anybody run an NV4500? 
    i was also wondering this, but behind the 4.7 V8 in a WJ
    99 WJ, D60/14B, 5.38s, 203/D300, 39.5"s, H1s

It was a jeep thing, but that shit broke

3. #3 Re: Anybody run an NV4500? 
    There is a guy who did a writeup about swapping a NV3550 into a ZJ. I know that there are different, but one issue he ran into was that the starter was on the wrong side and had to swapped over. For a WJ, not sure but on ZJs, the starter is on the passenger side.
    Ben
    1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ : V8, 3.5", 31" M/Ts, Swapped in D44a with Aussie

www.gatrailriders.com

4. #4 Re: Anybody run an NV4500? 
    there is a good thread on pirate in the cherokee section (and a cross-post on here about the same issue) about going manual in an obd2 ZJ). Apparently it is more complex than installing a granny 4/5 speed in a obd1 ZJ like mine.

The nv4500 is a solid tranny and I loved the one I had in my old tow rig aside from the minor syncro issues I had with it. But why do you want to go manual??? Gearing? BTW, I envy your auto. For the cost of the swap, you could go atlas and TRIPLE you tcase strength.

5. #5 Re: Anybody run an NV4500? 
    Maybe I'm just not seeing it but I searched on Pirate in the Cherokee forum and didn't find too much. I'll look more later.

I am considering the swap to a manual for a couple of reasons. One - I kinda like my auto when it works, I HATE it when it doesn't. Expense is another reason. I just can't see spending big $ for a built trans. I'd rather spend that money on a swap.

I'm just trying to gather some info to see if its worth while.

6. #6 Re: Anybody run an NV4500? 
    Didn't NV4500s come in some Dodges with V8s? I know a friend of mine had a Dakota with a 5.2 and a manual, and I was pretty sure it was a NV4500. I would think it would be pretty easy, but I could be wrong. If your computer doesn't like it, couldn't you just get a PCM from a Dodge truck (with the manual) to get it work?
    -RC
    97 ZJ 5.2 V8 with a 231 and a BB.

"What you do in life echoes in eternity"
    -Gladiator

7. #7 Re: Anybody run an NV4500? 
    Im in the process of doing a 3550 swap from an 2000 tj to my 4.0 zj... so far everthing seems to be going smooth. got the 42re out and the hole for the shifter cut it went right where the auto shifter was. theres is even the marks for the master cylinder on the firewall. i dont know for sure but i think you can find a 3550 out of a dakota that should be a bolt in deal. I have to agree with the manual swap being better and cheaper. I"ll have less than a grand (pun intended) in my swap and thats with a dana300 flipped and twin sticked behind the 3550. not to mention better mpg.
    98 zj 4.0 nv3550 d300 gears lockers and other junk that allows me to reduce the resale value daily

75 cj 5 still in the box, actually still in alot of boxes all over my gd garage. screw this economy!

8. #8 Re: Anybody run an NV4500? 
    What exactly is the matter with your auto? for strength reasons, behind a 360 I'd skip the 3550 and go straight for the 4500 if you insist on installing a third pedal

9. #9 Re: Anybody run an NV4500? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    What exactly is the matter with your auto?
    Oh lets see - My TCC has stopped working, no 2nd gear for a while, overheating, leaking cooler lines, messy and not-so-cheap services every 30K, jumping out of OD violently w/ CC on, etc....

With a manual at least the stupid thing does what I tell it to.

Having said all that, I am going to be keeping the auto. I found a guy that is an auto trans expert and he is going to do a complete rebuild for a fair price, almost what it would cost ME in parts. If I had to pay more than a grand I was going to go with the NV4500. I also have a trip to Moab planned at the end of the month so I don't exactly have time on my side.

I'd still like to see an NV4500 swap in a ZJ if somebody finds a build thread.

Thread Information