Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build - Page 18

Thread: Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
  1. #426 Re: Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build 
    Half doors for the niner. Got duplicolor paint match to get rid of the green on the top of the frame. Going to pull the cladding off and rhino line/sand down some of the rough spots. Probably wont get done before Gulches this weekend though.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s
    Subscribe to our Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ClemsonOffroadClub

2. #427 Re: Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    I thought the dude standing behind in the video was going to get killed by a flying rock or rolling Jeep...not a great place to stand.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

3. #428 Re: Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build 
    Might be picking up a Juggy chassis soon to begin swapping parts. Not 100% sure yet but found it on nc4x4 for a good price. Had some more nasty body damage to the ZJ on the last trip.

Also got part 1 of my tramper down.. Just need a truck and trailer now haha

1968 Bethany Chief. Baller status with the pink coral paint. Shes in great shape. It has been in my family since 68 when my grandpa bought it and passed it down through his sons. My uncle just dropped it off yesterday. Ill snag some better closer pictures later. Gonna have the most vintage tramper out there.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s

4. #429 Re: Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build 
    Got a lead on a TJ thats currently on tons and coilovers, decent cage. Hes pulling all the drivetrain/suspension/seats etc to go to a buggy and I am going to try to get the chassis from him. Won't be for a little while though till he tears into it.

-Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s

5. #430 Re: Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build 
    Back from the dead. I have been working on it the past couple weeks. Jeep has sat way to much, got beaten up and abused and neglected. She deserves a makeover.

Started stripping the interior.

Lots of trips of stuff left in the Jeep and leaking water all over made for a nice mess.

Interior was pretty easy, until I got to the passenger seat where the seat was stuck over the bolts. Got out the torches and did some surgery.

So on to paint. I chose to flat black it, using Rustoelum professional. I currently have two coats on it and am waiting to put the third on when I have a nice day. I need to find a matte clear coat as well. I also have not started on the doors, ran in to some rust with my half doors. Once the Jeep is finished I am going to start on the doors. If I decide to pony up for a cage the Jeep may never see doors again. I also need to find new seats, mine were trashed. Either going to get suspension or some WJ seats.

-Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s

6. #431 Re: Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build 
    Theres where I am with the paint. Need to put another top coat on and clear it with some matte flat. I also started rebuilding the driveline, tcase needs a tear down and the rear end may need to be rebuilt too. It locked up on me going 35 so I know there is something up with it, atleast a chipped tooth that jammed the gears together.

Also some helpful advice... when you doubt a gasket is doing its job do not rely on it to hold the transmission pan up. FAIL

Figured this might add a little bit of tech for anyone tearing down their 231. First off, I was going to take pictures each step but it slipped my mind after the first couple bolts and I figured Ill just do it when I put it back together.

I found the FSM online and printed it out for tear down. I set up a shelf right next to the bench and labeled all parts and ordered them in the order I removed them.

http://www.lunghd.com/Downloads_and_Links/NP231.pdf

I am going to purchase a master rebuild kit and a new chain. I found these on Amazon for cheaper than most everywhere else. I have not ordered them yet but probably will by the end of the day.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

http://www.amazon.com/Alloy-USA-1165...xgy_auto_img_y

One issue I have is I bought the 231 with the SYE already and do not know what brand it is or if a seal for the SYE output is the same as the stock tailcone seal. Guess I will find out when the kit comes. Also the bolt on the SYE that looks like a fill plug (I never removed it except to try to reseal it) leaks so I have to find an o ring or something for that. There was slight scaring from the chain slapping the case but nothing to serious. I do have a question about all these small cracks that you can see in the pictures below. Is this anything to worry about or is this normal? Is my case about to spider crack everywhere and explode next time it takes a big shock load, or is this imperfection in the casting?

Don't have my good vice bolted down yet... had to improvise. Beat the bearings out with my 3/4" sockets. Those big ol sockets are coming in really handy.

And my redneck parts washer. Purple power actually does a decent job cleaning it up. Going to throw some black engine enamel on it and then start the rebuild when parts come in.
    Last edited by UTChavok; 01-26-2015 at 08:35 PM.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s

7. #432 Re: Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Right on!
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

8. #433 Re: Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraqa View Post
    Right on!
    Thanks man, the killer work you've been doing on that ZJ gave me a little inspiration to get off my butt.

Ordered the chain and master rebuild kit for my 231 for $169 total Got it off Amazon with free prime shipping so should have it tomorrow and will start putting the case back together this weekend.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s

9. #434 Re: Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build 
    Nice build, i wish i had a 5.9 now that I'm welding so much weight into my little wagon. Ill be coping your t case shifter linkage. I really like the half doors do you have pics of how the latch works?

10. #435 Re: Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build 
    Quote Originally Posted by bentwrench View Post
    Nice build, i wish i had a 5.9 now that I'm welding so much weight into my little wagon. Ill be coping your t case shifter linkage. I really like the half doors do you have pics of how the latch works?
    Appreciate it! I was so tired of screwing with the stock shifter and it's pivot points. I was going to buy the Novak kit but this saved me over a bill. I do not have pictures of the latch but I will grab some next time I am in the shop. Its pretty nifty, I bought the doors like that so can't claim credit for the idea.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s

11. #436 Re: Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build 
    Been a long time since an update. Got tired of pouring money into a unibody rig and found 4 1 inch or larger cracks in the unibody. Picking up this rig tomorrow. Not sure if I will completely part out the 5.9, but I would like to keep the motor and trans and buy a chassis and start a build while having the little sammy to wheel. Its been almost 2 years since I have been on a trip in my own rig and I just want to get back out there.

-Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s

12. #437 Re: Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build 
    Took my first trip in the Sami. Thing crawls like a sumbitch but took some getting used to having a motor the quarter the size of my 5.9. Had fun but got to address the carburetor. Stalling and flooding on inclines was a major pain in the ass. I won't flood this thread with Zuki tech but will post some updates of the 5.9 and what I do with it. I would like to keep the motor and trans but if I had someone offer me a decent chunk of change for the whole rig as it sits now Id be happy to load it on a trailer.

-Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s

13. #438 Re: Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    Awwww, that sammie is so cute.

Last edited by Ted_Z; 09-11-2015 at 05:35 PM.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

14. #439 Re: Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build 
    I'm digging the wagon wheels for sure
    '99 WJ 4.0, 44/8.8, 35's, body damage

15. #440 Re: Hit 2nd and bump it - my ZJ build 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Z View Post
    Awwww, that sammie is so cute.

I really just wanted to be like all the cool kids

Itll get tons and some balls under the hood one day.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s

Thread Information