Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tow Rig Tire thread - Page 2

Thread: Tow Rig Tire thread

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #26 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    FWIW-
    I've run 2 wheel dig tow rigs for years...always with some brand of MT's on the back. I've run BFG MT's, Firestone Destination MT's, Goodyear MTR's, and now my dad's running Cooper Discovery STT's. I'm moving to a 4WD tow rig this spring, and the MTR's are still good, so I'm swapping them over, even though they're noisy as hell. The truck I picked up has Uniroyal laredo AWT's on the front. I'll be rocking the equivalent of a tire mullet. Business in front party in back.

Anyway, out of all of the tires I've run, the MTR's (old style) are the worst. The STT's are the best, followed by the Destination MT's. When I need to buy 4 new tires, I'll probably go with the STT's.

2. #27 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    I run Mastercraft MTs on my pickup. 2001 Reg Cab Dodge Cummins. Got them cheap off of craiglist.
    Member of Northern MN Jeepers- Only Club in MN with GIA ORV trail!

3. #28 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406 View Post
    FWIW-
    I've run 2 wheel dig tow rigs for years...always with some brand of MT's on the back. I've run BFG MT's, Firestone Destination MT's, Goodyear MTR's, and now my dad's running Cooper Discovery STT's. I'm moving to a 4WD tow rig this spring, and the MTR's are still good, so I'm swapping them over, even though they're noisy as hell. The truck I picked up has Uniroyal laredo AWT's on the front. I'll be rocking the equivalent of a tire mullet. Business in front party in back.

Anyway, out of all of the tires I've run, the MTR's (old style) are the worst. The STT's are the best, followed by the Destination MT's. When I need to buy 4 new tires, I'll probably go with the STT's.
    It doesn't tow anything, but my brother has had 2 sets of Cooper STT's on his truck and really likes them too.
    Ben
    1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ : V8, 3.5", 31" M/Ts, Swapped in D44a with Aussie

www.gatrailriders.com

4. #29 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406 View Post
    I'm moving to a 4WD tow rig this spring.
    So I won't need to pull your tow rig up a hill anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

5. #30 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    I was running the firestone transforce at for a couple years. I was only getting about 25,000 miles on them with my dually. I was over buying tires and just went to 22.5" rims and semi traction tires. I have been much happier.

6. #31 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    Has anybody run Kumho Road Venture A/Ts?

They are Korean but the price seems right. They are cheaper than longtrails, have more tread depth, and I actually stand a chance to make it out of a wet trailhead parking lot without burying my tow rig...

The reviews I've read make them sound good but I was curious if any of you guys have run them.

7. #32 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    I'd also like to point out that I'm still running the same set of Firestones I had when I started this thread a year and a half ago. They are at 49,000 and I have never rotated them. With any luck they'll last til Christmas before I need to get some new tires on the truck.

Needless to say I'm happy with the tire but I'm looking for something with a little lighter price tag this time around.

8. #33 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady View Post
    I just picked up the new Wrangler Duratrac tires for my tow rig. They're an aggressive all-terrain. Not bad priced either. I got 295/65-18's E for $240 a tire. Supposedly you can get around 40k miles out of them. Time will tell though.
    Since Cam bumped this, I wanted to update my results so far. I would NOT recommend these tires for a tow rig. I've put 8k-9k miles on them and I'd say they're about 50-60% tread. They'd probably be a good off-road tire, but they're definitely not an aggressive all terrain tire like they were advertised.

That said, my next tire will be the Toyo MT. My brother has them in a 315 on his Hemi and purchased them used with about 90% tread off of ebay 3 years ago. He's put 40k miles on them and probably still has about 10k-15k left in them. By far the best wearing aggressive truck tire there is. Even with the higher price, in the long run they are cheaper per mile.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

9. #34 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    I went with the 275/60/20 Cooper H/T Plus (the H/T version with a different tread supposedly optimized for bling 18"+ rims).
    Been running these for about 9-10k miles so far and they aren't really showing any wear. Very happy with them. My tire guy sells a bunch of these tires and has yet to hear a complaint about them. Still highly recommended. I'll try to remember to chime in during the next month or two when I get a chance to put some snow miles on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

10. #35 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    Since Cam bumped this, I wanted to update my results so far. I would NOT recommend these tires [Wrangler Duratracs] for a tow rig. I've put 8k-9k miles on them and I'd say they're about 50-60% tread. They'd probably be a good off-road tire, but they're definitely not an aggressive all terrain tire like they were advertised.
    FWIW, I'm running these on my ZJ. I've read quite a few reviews where people with bigger vehicles (trucks, mostly) do not like these tires. Digging into the issue a little more, I found that, regardless of load range (C or E), all Wrangler Duratracs have a 2 ply sidewall. hmmm.....

The ZJ is my DD obviously, so I guess we'll see my tires can put out some better mileage. I sure hope so...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33
    Its a jeep, it doesn't have to make sense.

11. #36 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    Yeah, the issues I've read about are with people towing and they say it sways their load a lot more. I haven't had that issue at all, maybe the 18" wheel and smaller sidewall is a contributing factor to that? I also wonder if those people were running at the 80psi recommended in the rear?

Either way, there seems to be some issues with these tires, so I wouldn't run them on a truck again. However, they do seem to be a good tire for off-road, so maybe for the weekend warrior they'd be good...? You'll have to update us on how many miles you get out of them.
    www.crawlerready.com

12. #37 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    Since Cam bumped this, I wanted to update my results so far. I would NOT recommend these tires for a tow rig. I've put 8k-9k miles on them and I'd say they're about 50-60% tread. They'd probably be a good off-road tire, but they're definitely not an aggressive all terrain tire like they were advertised.

That said, my next tire will be the Toyo MT. My brother has them in a 315 on his Hemi and purchased them used with about 90% tread off of ebay 3 years ago. He's put 40k miles on them and probably still has about 10k-15k left in them. By far the best wearing aggressive truck tire there is. Even with the higher price, in the long run they are cheaper per mile.

That's interesting, I've got about 12k on a set of Duratracs on my F-150, granted I've only towed with them for less than 1500 miles, but so far I see very little wear on them. I'm interested to see how long they last, but I'd think 40k is attainable with them. Maybe the rubber is just a bit too soft for a heavier truck, although my truck does weigh in at around 6,500 lbs.
    '97 ZJ Limited, Atlas II, 35" KM2's, 4.5" RE Springs + ACOS Spacers w/ Clayton's Longarms, Ford 8.8 w/ Triangulated Bilstein 5150's, Waggy D44, Lockers Front and Rear, and Lots of other customs stuff....

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15667

13. #38 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    That said, my next tire will be the Toyo MT.
    so you utah residents are gonna make fun of us east coast fools for having mud on our trails and then go put mud tires on your tow rigs?

14. #39 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    HAHA you're confusing me with Cody I think making fun of you and all

Quite a few peeps here run the Toyo MT's because they're such a hard compound, do great in the snow, and outlast many AT tires. I feel 50k on those is easy to get.
    www.crawlerready.com

15. #40 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by goldensd View Post
    That's interesting, I've got about 12k on a set of Duratracs on my F-150, granted I've only towed with them for less than 1500 miles, but so far I see very little wear on them. I'm interested to see how long they last, but I'd think 40k is attainable with them. Maybe the rubber is just a bit too soft for a heavier truck, although my truck does weigh in at around 6,500 lbs.
    Who knows...maybe I got the competition sticky version? hahaha in all seriousness though, I've towed heavy loads on these tires for about 4k miles. The fronts didn't wear down much at all, but the rears.......WOW. My first rotation at 5k miles and my fronts were probably 90% or more and my rears were probably about 65-70%.

I'm sure not towing on these tires and they'd be able to reach that 40k mark, but any towing it seems like 25k is gonna be my max. I don't want to have to buy new tires next year....but I may have to. Crossing my fingers.
    www.crawlerready.com

16. #41 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    I run BFG A/T's on the tow rig. This is my first set on the heavy truck but my father-in-law got almost 70k with them on his Tundra...he does not tow though and left em on till they were beyond the replacement bars. I think I should be able to get 50k but only time will tell.

Edit: Just notice someone complained about the traction of the these tires and disagree completely. We get plenty of snow in CO and that was a driving factor in my tire selection. These tires are awesome in the snow and slick stuff. I think he just wants his F350 to stop on a dime in snow and that just ain't gonna happen.
    Last edited by jsteves; 10-11-2010 at 03:43 PM.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

17. #42 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Jeep Whore's Avatar
    Is anyone here running 19.5" rims on their tow rig?
    _______.00000. << ---Mine------____.____.
    //_|__l__,\____\,___---Dads>> /l __,[____],_
    l_--\__\__l---\[]llllll[]| -----------l--|_|-L-OllllllllO-
    (o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ----------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Glws = good looking wagon sir

18. #43 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    Senior Member it usually runs fine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep Whore View Post
    Is anyone here running 19.5" rims on their tow rig?
    I doubt it. Discount tire and like companies will not touch a 19.5" rim, making it very inconvenient for getting a new tire in BFE. Plus most of them are thick ass steel with chrome covers.
    Some girls don't like guys like me, but some girls do.

19. #44 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    Senior Member it usually runs fine's Avatar
    A little update on my tow rigs tires. I have been running 265/75/18 BFG Rugged Trails on my titan for about 30,000 miles with maybe 20 to 30% wear so far. They ride smooth and wear great, but I R&B them religiously, I payed $800 for all 4 with free replacemnt certificates and all that. The only bad side is that I get stuck on every trail head while pulling the trailer and jeep.
    Some girls don't like guys like me, but some girls do.

20. #45 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by it usually runs fine View Post
    I doubt it. Discount tire and like companies will not touch a 19.5" rim, making it very inconvenient for getting a new tire in BFE. Plus most of them are thick ass steel with chrome covers.
    yea its a pain to get tires for it. I think we were looking at some Michelin for it and they wanted 330 a tire.

I guess thats what you get for having a F-450

21. #46 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    Has anyone ever used retreads?

Treadwright.com has some pretty good prices, 285/75/r16 E load range for just over $100 a tire.

22. #47 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigClay View Post

Treadwright.com has some pretty good prices, 285/75/r16 E load range for just over $100 a tire.
    I was thinking about buying a set of these for my tow rig. I am going to keep 2 of my 285/75/16 just to make sure these don't leave me stranded. I've heard a lot of good reviews about these but I have my doubts. It's worth a shot for the price.
    I'm still waiting on the inexpensive shit to break!!!

'02 WJ with 60's, locked, full hydo, ORI's, on 40's, and still have air conditioning!

23. #48 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by indy242003 View Post
    I was thinking about buying a set of these for my tow rig. I am going to keep 2 of my 285/75/16 just to make sure these don't leave me stranded. I've heard a lot of good reviews about these but I have my doubts. It's worth a shot for the price.
    I have heard some good things as well. I still have a little life in my tires now, so report back if you get the tread wrights.

24. #49 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    I'd also like to point out that I'm still running the same set of Firestones I had when I started this thread a year and a half ago. They are at 49,000 and I have never rotated them. With any luck they'll last til Christmas before I need to get some new tires on the truck.

Needless to say I'm happy with the tire but I'm looking for something with a little lighter price tag this time around.
    Well, it's almost Christmas and the tires still have a bunch of life left in them... Hasn't been for lack of mileage either. They still have not been rotated! I have taken five 600+ mile wheeling trips this year. Plus a few shorter ones and a lot of daily commuting. I've had my eye out for a cheaper set, but I've got to say, if I'm thinking of keeping this truck for another 60k, I'd be a fool to replace the tires with anything other than these Firestones. Only bad thing about them is the price tag.

25. #50 Re: Tow Rig Tire thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigClay View Post

The one thing about retreads is if the tread starts to come off then you'll have a lot of damage to your truck especially if its a dually.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thread Information