Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Project White Noise - Page 12

Thread: Project White Noise

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. #276 Re: Project White Noise 
    Just delete the washer system to offset the weight of the exo
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

2. #277 Re: Project White Noise 
    LOL

3. #278 Re: Project White Noise 
    I may just carry a spray bottle with me for those dusty rides

4. #279 Re: Project White Noise 
    Cage is complete

5. #280 Re: Project White Noise 
    Looks great! You know you are supposed to fix those lights with Nascar approved 200mph duct tape right?
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

6. #281 Re: Project White Noise 
    LOL, good 'ole clear box tape is working good so far

7. #282 Re: Project White Noise 
    So now that my rig is getting pretty heavy with the bumpers, sliders, and cage (not to mention all the tools I carry and my big a**), would a stiffer spring benefit me?

8. #283 Re: Project White Noise 
    nice tube work man.

9. #284 Re: Project White Noise 
    Thanks, wish I could take credit for fabbing it

10. #285 Re: Project White Noise 
    OK, need some honest advice. Here is my delima.

After adding the front and rear bumpers, and the cage, I have added well over 350lbs of weight to the jeep and I am sitting about 1" lower now than I was before.
    I am currently running 4.5" RE springs, I have 1" spacers on both of the fronts and then... get this... to level out the rear I have a 2" spacer with another 1" spacer on top of it on the passenger rear and a then only a 1" spacer on the driver rear. WTF???

I have even swaped the springs around in the rear with the same result, so the only think I can think of is the spring perches must not be level (haven't measured yet, but I will).

Here is my question. I think the RE springs are too soft for me, so I am contemplating getting BDS springs (higher spring rate). So should I go with 4" springs (4.5" in the front and 4" in the rear) and add spacers again, or shoudl I get the 6" springs (6.5" in the front, 6" in the rear). I personally don't like stacking spacers, but I also don't like having a lopsided sig.

Thoughts?

11. #286 Re: Project White Noise 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    I know you said that you swapped springs, but are you sure that your springs are properly seating on both the chassis and axle side?

Keep in mind that the front springs can also affect how high the back springs sit (due to weight distribution). When my rig had the back chopped off, my rear sat about 2-3" higher than it did before. Once I added in 1" spacers to the front, everything basically leveled out.

I have no idea if this happened or not, but I almost wonder if your unibody was tweaked when the exo went on and the exo just "locked" it into place. Before the tube went on, my buddy made a rear bumper for me. Said bumper fit perfectly in my rig, but when you look at it, it was far from square. When I sold it to a friend, the same buddy installed the bumper on my friend's ZJ. I was told that it was a royal PITA to install because his rig wasn't tweaked like mine was. I never really paid attention to how uneven my rig sits from side to side, but I'd bet that it's not equal.

As for the springs, a stiffer spring would probably be a good idea. That said, assuming that two springs are setup to to give a ZJ 4.5" of lift -- a softer spring should be longer than a stiffer spring. As such, the stiffer spring will sit a bit higher with your extra weight -- but may not be long enough to completely get you back to 4.5" lift. There is some math you could do (simple measurements and some simple calculations) to get a ballpark estimate of your unsprung weight -- which you can then use to get an estimated ride height of new springs -- but I have no idea if it's really be any more accurate than just picking a spring for a bit higher lift and trying it due to the variance in actual spring rates.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 05-05-2011 at 10:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

12. #287 Re: Project White Noise 
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    I know you said that you swapped springs, but are you sure that your springs are properly seating on both the chassis and axle side?

Keep in mind that the front springs can also affect how high the back springs sit (due to weight distribution). When my rig had the back chopped off, my rear sat about 2-3" higher than it did before. Once I added in 1" spacers to the front, everything basically leveled out.

I have no idea if this happened or not, but I almost wonder if your unibody was tweaked when the exo went on and the exo just "locked" it into place. Before the tube went on, my buddy made a rear bumper for me. Said bumper fit perfectly in my rig, but when you look at it, it was far from square. When I sold it to a friend, the same buddy installed the bumper on my friend's ZJ. I was told that it was a royal PITA to install because his rig wasn't tweaked like mine was. I never really paid attention to how uneven my rig sits from side to side, but I'd bet that it's not equal.
    I think they are both seated properly, but I will check. This was a problem before the cage, and I bet you are right that now it is stuck that way no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    As for the springs, a stiffer spring would probably be a good idea. That said, assuming that two springs are setup to to give a ZJ 4.5" of lift -- a softer spring should be longer than a stiffer spring. As such, the stiffer spring will sit a bit higher with your extra weight -- but may not be long enough to completely get you back to 4.5" lift.
    So you think I should go with the 6" springs?

13. #288 Re: Project White Noise 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigClay View Post
    So you think I should go with the 6" springs?
    That would probably be the simple way to do it and I don't know that you would notice much of a difference over the way I would do it. The way I would do it (and I am intending to do this after my wedding stuff is over because I'm in the opposite boat as you where I need a softer spring in the rear) is to measure ride height compared to droop and use the known spring rates of RE springs to figure out and estimate of unsprung weight. Then I would use the unsprung weight to figure out the length and rate of an ideal, theoretical spring that will sit at the ride height I want. Once I figure that out it's a matter of finding a spring that matches it as closely (keep in mind that front TJ and XJ lift springs can be used, so you aren't just limited to the options for your ZJ). My situation is a bit different than yours though because I think I need to get into "TJ" spring rates for me to get the ride height and softer springs I need.

That said, I'm probably just over-complicating the process, and I have no idea if this will yield better results for you than just getting 5.5" or 6" lift springs (it probably won't be noticeable). But in all honesty, that's the main reason I want to go through that -- to see how closely the calculations mimic real life.

Let me know if you want to give it a shot. It involves nothing more than a total of 8 measurements (4 at ride height and 4 with each spring fully extended), some basic calculations, and some research of spring rates and lengths.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 05-05-2011 at 11:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

14. #289 Re: Project White Noise 
    Thanks Jared, but you know I am too lazy for all that

I think I will wing it and buy the BDS coils, thanks for all the input!

15. #290 Re: Project White Noise 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Good looking fab work but I really thought your rig LOOKED a lot better without the exo. But obviously, this isn't a mallcrawler.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

16. #291 Re: Project White Noise 
    I'm diggin the fresh paint on the drivers rock rail and the black on the pass side..

17. #292 Re: Project White Noise 
    Quote Originally Posted by ELLLLLIOTTTTT View Post
    Good looking fab work but I really thought your rig LOOKED a lot better without the exo. But obviously, this isn't a mallcrawler.
    Yeah the Exo makes it look 'different' but it is growing on me more and more. The jeep really isn't pretty to begin with, I have gone for more of a function over form build. Hopefully this will save my noggin if were ever to roll.

Quote Originally Posted by zjeepin View Post
    I'm diggin the fresh paint on the drivers rock rail and the black on the pass side..
    Damnit Trey you pay too close attention to the details I just sprayed the passenger side last night (ran out of paint, and was too lazy to run back to Lowes)

18. #293 Re: Project White Noise 
    So what happens when you are in a hurry to drop off a trailer and you have to back down a narrow gravel road that has a ton of turns and trees on both sides... this...

Clipped a tree trying to straighten out the trailer. I was going a little fast and wasn't paying attention like I should have... damn

19. #294 Re: Project White Noise 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    That 'll buff out. Lol
    93 ZJ long arms, 35's, F/R Long arms, 4.56 gears, and a bunch more
    98 5.9 slate gray 4" lift with stuff (sold)
    96 ZJ Lift, Long arms, 35's and a bunch of other shit! (RIP)
    [ IRONMAN 4X4 FAB ] [ RACELINE WHEELS]

20. #295 Re: Project White Noise 
    LOL, I wish it would This is another reason to have a dedicated tow rig, if this was my DD, I would be really pissed.

21. #296 Re: Project White Noise 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    Reminds me of the scene in Tommy Boy where he backs up at the gas station.

That sucks.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

22. #297 Re: Project White Noise 
    LOL, I know the scene well

23. #298 Re: Project White Noise 
    BDS 6" springs came in today, hopefully getting them on this weekend.

24. #299 Re: Project White Noise 
    clay i saw you post up about the suburban on nc4x.. you thinkin about changing tow rigs?

25. #300 Re: Project White Noise 
    I had a thought, but I think the Dodge will serve me best. That burb sure is unique, but in all honesty when I posted up I was thinking it had a cummins in it, I just figured no one would want a 6.2 or 6.5 chevy diesel

Thread Information