Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

My 1993 ZJ - 'Project Toilet'

Thread: My 1993 ZJ - 'Project Toilet'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 My 1993 ZJ - 'Project Toilet' 
    hello everyone, im new to the site, and jeeps, but ive been into offroading for a few years now. this is my 93 zj, 138,xxx, 4.0, auto, that i picked up from a friend for $300. it was having problems starting, but i figured that out, and now she runs mint again. it's got a 4" rough country lift in it now, that my friend and i installed about a year and a half ago. my plan for the time being is to throw the 33's from my f150 on it and wheel the snot out of it. come spring, when i have money/time, i want to go with an hp 30/8.8, 5speed, 5-7" longarm, 35's, lockers, gears, etc. here's some pics and i'll be sure to keep you all updated.

stock, when it was my friends:

today, before trimming the rear fenders:

front fenders trimmed:

Rears:

she's not exactly pretty, but will make a nice trail rig. i have some rust to fix as well, hopefully i can get some time in this weekend.

cheers.
    Last edited by CTeunuch; 06-19-2009 at 05:15 PM.

2. #2 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    She could definately use a little work but your on the right track and anything you do to her will be an improvement I would definately go
    and cut out the rockers and weld in some steel. You have to love a trail rig that you can beat on and not care if you scratch her up a bit. Plus it's always awesome to see thousands of dollars worth of parts on a truck that has seen some miles. Keep the build and the pics coming
    5 Niner with, RE 3.5 SuperFlex kit, 1" spacers, RE front adj track bar, Rancho RS 5000's, 32'BFG AT's on AR Mojave Teflon coated rims, Kevins LP-1 Sliders, Uniden CB .
    "60% of the time it works Every Time"

3. #3 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    That's sexy. Those rust areas and missing rear bumper remind me of a red version of my rig before I went long arms.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

4. #4 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    yeah, i saw a few threads about building sliders by cutting out the rockers and welding in some steel. as soon as i get some cash ill be doing that. the list now is tires, homemade t-case skid, some painting, and fix the drivers side u-joint. im on a student budget so any/all mods will be real low budget for now.

also, sirfuego, i like your rig a lot, i plan to steal many of your ideas.
    Last edited by CTeunuch; 01-05-2009 at 11:35 PM.

5. #5 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    not a big update, but i got a killer deal on some tires, so i had to post. they'll be on by friday, im having a friend mount them up tomorrow. i got four 33x12.5 tsl radials on 15x8 outlawII's for 300 bucks+my old bfg's. also i installed my cb, and some other minor stuff, ill have pics friday.

6. #6 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    so, as per murphys law, nothing went as planned, but i did finally get the tires on, and some pictures. i then took it out for a quick cruise to see how it felt, but it was cut short. i didnt make it more than a mile from home when it quit, and wont start again. ill dive into that fun project on sunday. but for now, heres some pics with the 33's.

7. #7 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    What part of MA are you from?

8. #8 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    pretty sweet ride dude and keep the pics comming
    96 ZJ, Black, 5.2, Auto, 242 Swap, D30 D44a, 3.5 inch lift and 2 inch poly boost 5.5 inches total lift, 33/12.5/15 BFG MTs on Chrome steelies

9. #9 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    What part of MA are you from?
    im from sudbury, its near framingham. yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Spr-T-23 View Post
    pretty sweet ride dude and keep the pics comming
    thanks. ill have some wheeling pics as soon as the damn thing will start again. that's the new fun project, chasing electrical ghosts.

10. #10 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    Not too far away. I'm in Marlborough.

11. #11 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    not far away is right. i havent seen your jeep around, im in marlborough a lot. do you wheel much?

12. #12 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    Not lately. I get out there about once a month, but I go to school full time in Salem and during the summer when I'd get the chance to wheel my jeep is usually on jackstands getting more work done to it. Hopefully this summer will be different.

13. #13 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    Waaaaaaaaaaait a minute, this isn't Patrick is it? This is Dan Fairbank's old ZJ?

14. #14 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    yessir, it is, it is. lets see yours dave!

15. #15 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    DUDE! We gotta get together! I'm working in Putnam, CT, but it's only about 40 mins from Sudbury. I work Tuesday-Saturday afternoon . . . what are you up to these days?

Here's a pic of my ZJ . . . I'm scraping together cash to stuff 33"s under it. I'm thinking the same thing for axles . . . HP 30 and a locked 8.8. My plan is to get some spacers and run JK Rubicon wheels/BFG MT's. I've been wheeling with a guy that has an older Bronco on 38.5" Boggers, so I gotta go bigger to keep up.

16. #16 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    some updates finally. i fixed the electrical problem, so now it starts and charges, which is a nice change. so today i did a little work to it. i started by painting the grill flat black, then made some 'brackets' to hold the sway bar to when it's disco'd, and bed linered the cargo area. also took it for a spin around the farm to stretch her legs. heres some pics.

the interior primered, i didnt get a shot of it with the bed liner.

the cb installed, and a nice mess on the floor.

first time flexing disco'd, wow what a difference.

crappy shot of the sway bar setup. its just some rebar bent and welded to the unibody, with a chain around everything to hold it together. pretty ghetto, but it was all free stuff lying around and it should do the job.

coming soon will be a gas tank/t-case skid, sliders, then finally some real wheeling pics.

17. #17 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    nice dood.
    Quote Originally Posted by greengc4x4 View Post
    I wheeled my 97 on a BB more than your one ton ZJ (maxx's)will ever see the trails

18. #18 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    so after chasing countless circuits, and and going cross eyed reading test procedures, they all led back to 'replace pcm'. lucky for me i had access to a free one, so i threw it in today and she fired right up, faster than before, and she even idles nicer. so hopefully thursday or friday ill have plates and then ill get to do a test run on sunday.

19. #19 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    i finally took the old pos out for a light test run last week, and found i was getting a loud clunk from the rear end, that had been getting worse even on road. it turned out that the threads in the lower passenger rear control arm were stripped and it was bouncing around. so i spent sunday fixing that, as well as the steering stabilizer that crapped out on me. also got the rusty's tcase skid in, just no time to mount it. heres a few shots just messing around, and it looks like monday will be the first real trip.

20. #20 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    so i finally got out for some real wheeling at MaBell this weekend, here are some pics, a full report and all the pictures coming soon.

getting ready for the trail, my grand and my friends rubi

a couple of flex shots, im pretty happy, especially for a short arm.

and the best mod so far:

all in all, im very happy with the way it performed. i did the math, and im only into it for $900 total so far, which makes how well it does on the trail feel that much better. the list of carnage was short too, i blew the brake booster, which made for an interesting ride home, and my p/s pump finally gave up the ghost. i also put a small dent in the rocker, but the good new is the free parts pig gets here friday, so ill fix the little stuff then. this trip changed the list of priorities too, so im hoping sliders are next, followed by a trans/engine skid, then diff covers, and maybe rustys hd steering kit.
    Last edited by CTeunuch; 05-28-2009 at 12:25 AM.

21. #21 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    the ups truck brought christmas in june.

22. #22 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    Hey if u guys are down to get a trail ride going im done. I live in ri probably like 45 min from u guys. Me and my bro are down. Thats to more zjs if ya want!

23. #23 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    sounds like you and i are having the same electrical ghost. i've put 2 pcm's in and need a 3rd. i may try an in line fuel pump. or just say f it, and start mess'n with the wrecked/parts 318 and make that the wheeln buggy,and the 4.0L the parts truck?

24. #24 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    I saw your jeep in Hudson tonight. Right on the rotary.

25. #25 Re: My Budget Build - 1993 ZJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    I saw your jeep in Hudson tonight. Right on the rotary.
    rgr copy that sir. i was at my buddies, you should have stopped and started beeping til i showed up. are you around tomorrow to do some wheeling?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information