Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine"

Thread: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    I picked up this ZJ a few weeks ago with the intent on building something that could be a fun little weekend toy for someone looking to get into the hobby...

96 Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    148,XXX miles
    All the power options

Tons of options and it runs pretty well for only $1300.

So I grabbed some retreads from StoneTire.com and a budget boost setup from 4 Wheel Customs (along with a few other small items) and here is what I have now:

A little bit of "break in" fun with my Brother:

By the end of the day, I had broken the 4Lo cable while trying to get through a slick gully and I believe my oil pressure switch is toast. Both easy fixes. Not bad for the first day out!

I'm getting the bug and by the end of 2009 I suspect I'll probably be replacing my existing setup with something bigger and better.
    Last edited by Gaze; 01-05-2009 at 03:41 PM.

2. #2 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    Eat shit and drink bleach!
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

3. #3 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    you'll do great here! these guys love budget boosts!

4. #4 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    you'll do great here! these guys love budget boosts!
    Yeah I don't suspect I'll be winning any popularity contests around here considering both of my Jeeps are "very mild" at best, but this place seemed like a good read and came pretty highly recommended.

5. #5 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    As long as it's getting wheeled, no one cares if you have a BB (unless you ask how to install it, LMAO.)

6. #6 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    Stuck it in some mud last weekend and broke a few more things...

After finally getting yanked out, I needed a jump start to get moving again. I needed a jump just to get out of my driveway earlier in the day so I didn't think much of it. Well after another half hour or so of wheeling with no issues, I hop back on the highway to head home. 15 miles up the road after cruising at a steady 60 mph, it just shuts off on me.
    I pull over and try to crank it and nothing happens. My brother pulls up behind me for a jump and still nothing. The car clicks on but thats about it. The lights, radio, windows, etc all work just fine with no hesitation.
    I trailered the car home thinking it was a battery issue, but even after dropping in a brand new battery, the best I could get was a few clicks.
    I'm at a loss... any ideas would be appreciated!

7. #7 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    4lo "cable"? You mean mechanical linkage?

As for your starting problem, sounds like you don't have enough power at the starter (you need 12 volts). That can be caused by bad grounds and loose or corroded battery cables. Is your battery reading 12 volts? Grab your multimeter (or buy one) and check for voltage drop from the positive battery terminal to chassis ground. Replace cables/clean terminals as necessary. If it still doesn't start, check your voltage at the starter while you have a friend turn the key to start the engine.

8. #8 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    Also if you have the 12 volts at the starter end, tap on the starter with a small hammer, wrench, screw driver (whatever is handy). Then try and start it, if that works you need a new starter soon.

9. #9 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster View Post
    Also if you have the 12 volts at the starter end, tap on the starter with a small hammer, wrench, screw driver (whatever is handy). Then try and start it, if that works you need a new starter soon.
    That trick has helped me out a few times.

10. #10 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    ^^ Me as well.

11. #11 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    Tried a few different things today...

Now she likes to do the fast clicking noise when I turn the key. Banging on the starter doesn't change anything and the 40A fuse under the hood looked to be in good shape. Any other ideas?

12. #12 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    Does it have 12 volts going to it? If it does then its probably your starter.

13. #13 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    try geting a new starter
    Quote Originally Posted by greengc4x4 View Post
    I wheeled my 97 on a BB more than your one ton ZJ (maxx's)will ever see the trails

14. #14 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    Is that the pine barrens? I started wheeling in that place with an xj then moved up to a cj on 38's. I'll tell you what, I would never take a vehical through there that I planned on driving down the road again. Its nothing but sand, mud, and water, which is some of the worst things you can do to a ride. While your at it check all your fluids including the diffs and stuff because Ive never met someone who didn't take on some water some were in their rig from that place.
    93ish zj, d60s, 38.5 maxxis, and a bunch of other expensive parts to make them work.

Truck stacks, for when your trucks nuts are just not gay enough anymore.

15. #15 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    ordered a starter this morning, but I'm still pretty leary about it being a starter issue.

I'm actually starting to wonder if I didn't get some water in the ECU when I first spun the tires trying to get out of the slop I was in. Giving the water a chance to penetrate the ECU might have done it in and that might explain why I stalled 45+ minutes after getting stuck. I'll probably let it sit until I get another warm weekend day and I'll run to the local junk yard for a few spare parts.

Thanks for the help guys... I know how annoying it must be answering noob questions!

16. #16 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    Have you checked to see if you're getting 12 volts at the starter?
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

17. #17 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    im gonna diddo the diddo diddoed the starter probly got full of crap and the brushes are fugded up, pull it off, try cleaning it out a bit. i get starter ticks on my mustang from time to time, but thats cus the battery is drained by my security system when i dont drive it. so make sure that battery is fully charged. or try jumping it again
    96 ZJ swapped in 5.2, 242, 14bolt rear, big ugly home brew bumper, 7.5" of lift in the front 9" in the rear, long arms, hummer wheels with 37s... (dont worry front axle is next)

It should be heavy. Weight is a sign of reliability. If it doesn't work, you can always hit him with it.

-e-boner

18. #18 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    Fixed.

I decided to give it one more shot and work over the terminals and wires with a wire brush a little harder than I did before. That and another new battery did the trick. I have a lovely valve tap to deal with now, but I can address that this weekend.

19. #19 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    Well, that didn't last long...

While in the process of doing a few routine maintenance items for GSNE, I changed the oil and heard an awful sound... Ticking!

Upon cold start-up, there is a loud tick that follows the engine speed, then dies down to nothing when the engine reaches idle. I've let it sit running for 15 minutes and still no noise. So I decided to take it out on the street and see how it reacts and it sounds awful. Extremely loud ticking that reaches its pinnacle right before shifts.

Another symptom is my oil pressure gauge which bounces from around 20psi down to 0 whenever I take a 90 degree turn and then sometimes just at random. I've already replaced the oil pressure sensor so I doubt that is the culprit.

Any thoughts? Rausch Creek is 2 1/2 hours away from me and I'd rather skip the event than spend the better part of my weekend stuck on the side of the PA turnpike.

UPDATE:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9NDSySwI0A

20. #20 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    is it coming from the top or bottom of the motor?
    This person should be taken as seriously as a heart attack while piloting a zeppelin over a bacon factory, which is the most serious of heart attacks, because if that zeppelin crashes into that bacon factory all of us will be without bacon and that simply will not do.

21. #21 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    Oh god, that sounds lovely. Figure out where its coming from and if your skills permit, start digging. If your loosing oil pressure, and depending on where the noise is coming from, I would start on the bottom end. Drop the pan and see what shape the oil pump is in. Is there any change in power output?
    I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

22. #22 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    Power output seemed pretty much the same, though with the noise I was reluctant to push the gas. I'm going to dig further on Saturday. Basically, theres only a few things I can do to see if this motor is salvageable... Drain oil, drop pan, remove valve covers, and start inspecting!

Unfortunately I'm not too optimistic.

23. #23 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    The weather has been a roadblock for me the past few days. Whenever its been nice out, the wife has other plans.

I'm admittedly not as big of a gear head as most members here. This will officially be the first time I've ripped into a motor so. A few quick questions...
    How much of the exhaust do I need to remove to get to the oil pan?
    What should I be looking for when I drop the pan? What are signs of a bad pump? What are signs of spun bearings? etc

Any help would be great!

24. #24 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    Look for metal in the pan, and to check the bearings you have to take the caps off. ****DO NOT GET THEM MIXED UP**** I would take off one check it put it back on. If the bearings are discolored, I.E bluish, copperish, then they are going bad, possibly bad or have been spun. Take pics of those and post up for a better answer. Get a haynes manual for the torque specs. If you go as far to drop the pan and check the oil pump I would just install a new one. And your pressure readings going crazy can be from the oil sending unit. My zj had a bad ground and would fluctuate the readings on the guage

25. #25 Re: 96 ZJ - "Entry Level Trail Machine" 
    Thanks for the help... It's a good start!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information