Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project Chewy - Page 4

Thread: Project Chewy

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #76 Re: Project Chewy 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Damn welder broke...just when I get a weekend off...
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

2. #77 Re: Project Chewy 
    Asshole Extraordinaire Lifetime Supporter
    MallCrawlin Supporter
    Damn Looking Good!!!! Hopefully I will be able to start working on some fab stuff beginning in Sept!
    "I will offend a bunch of you. I do not know what your moral boundaries are, so I'm probably going to cross them at some point. I sometimes even go beyond my own moral boundaries -- that's how I know I still have them."

Tosh.0 (Loosely translated by Fuego)(slightly modified to fit my needs!)

3. #78 Re: Project Chewy 
    not the most detailed build post but it shows some progress!

all welded up
    Name:  IMG_9751.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  32.9 KB
    primed.
    Name:  IMG_9755.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  IMG_9754.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  34.9 KB

painted w/accessories!
    Name:  IMG_9757.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  IMG_9758.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  39.4 KB

still need to install winch/fairlead.
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

4. #79 Project Chewy 
    more progress!
    Name:  IMAG0543.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0542.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0540.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9791.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  50.1 KB
    tabs,truss and brackets from Battlement fabrication
    Name:  IMG_9777.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  49.6 KB

5. #80 Re: Project Chewy 
    Been a while since I posted in here so I'll update what's going on.
    Adding a 9" rear and hp44 front
    Not many pics but I'll post what I get when I find time

The 9 getting armour.

Build it. Lock it. Crawl it.

6. #81 Re: Project Chewy 

Christmas in march!!!

7. #82 Re: Project Chewy 
    Gittin some intsalled
    More pics to come

8. #83 Project Chewy 
    Now for some Dana 44hp wheel hub tech
    Pics inside the hub with races installed

The spindle with fresh 7/16-20 bolts/locknuts

The bearing setup what it will kinda look like inside when installed

You'll have to turn the inner spindle nut to line the pin up with the locking retainer holes then the outer nut goes on!

you'll need an axle/spindle socket to get it tight ( they rent them at some auto parts stores or you should just buy one for $15-$20 for your rig!)

The notches should line up

Just like this!

Be sure to pack it well with high-temp wheel w/disc brake grease you don't want this going dry!

Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 04-26-2014 at 12:23 AM.

9. #84 Re: Project Chewy 
    Restored the knuckles, spindles and caliper brackets

Scraped down and shot with rust converter/restorer

Then painted ( and of course I later installed double shear arms then repainted)

10. #85 Project Chewy 
    And some more pics

Special paint job I can scrape off on rocks!

Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 04-30-2014 at 05:48 PM.

11. #86 Re: Project Chewy 
    Sittin under with only the trac bar hooked up

Should be close to where it will sit when finished...

12. #87 Re: Project Chewy 
    ...I'm bringing sexy back! Chewy should be running around here shortly!!!

13. #88 Re: Project Chewy 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    keep going!!!!!lol
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

14. #89 Re: Project Chewy 
    So the trial running of the engine was a success!!!! The first time since I got the jeep 8 years ago it has charged at 14v+ and no Matter how much power was turned on it compensates to match!
    Seems this was the culprit:

So I put in a new 5.9 (136a) alternator and replaced the wire harness

So I had my son do the honors and toss that burden in the can!!! 😂😃😁

15. #90 Re: Project Chewy 
    So putting the gears back in I noticed that the ring gear is a hair away from the cast when at full set pinion/backlash etc.., it should clear but of any concerns?

But they're back in since June!

16. #91 Re: Project Chewy 
    And took it for a test drive just to find more crap!
    Trac bar is loose, the rear drive line shakes pretty bad and the 9" 3rd seems to be missing a yoke seal!

17. #92 Project Chewy 
    Anybody else have the Claytons trac-bar? Cause the threads on the jj end have loosened up and caused a lot of play!

The threads look fine Not stripped or worn.

18. #93 Re: Project Chewy 
    I had that happen to me.. don't remember what I did to fix the problem. Might can run a tap and dye through the joints and tube inserts.

Got any pictures of your coilover mounts? and have you gotten the orbital mounted up yet? I have been thinking of doing full hydro rather than assist on my 44.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s
    Subscribe to our Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ClemsonOffroadClub

19. #94 Re: Project Chewy 
    Sure I'll take some shots maybe tomorrow of all the mounts!
    The thing I will say is only go full hydro if you don't use much on the highway or over 55mph cause it does get squirrely!
    It is flat out awesome off-road!
    turn with 1 finger even in the most awkward spot!
    If you want the best of both tap the box and go assist!

20. #95 Re: Project Chewy 
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Crawler ZJ View Post
    Sure I'll take some shots maybe tomorrow of all the mounts!
    The thing I will say is only go full hydro if you don't use much on the highway or over 55mph cause it does get squirrely!
    It is flat out awesome off-road!
    turn with 1 finger even in the most awkward spot!
    If you want the best of both tap the box and go assist!
    Yeah my plan was a surplus ram, stock pump drilled out, buy a resevoir and tap my current box. Should be around 200 to get it done. I was only gonna do hydro if I found a used orbital on pirate or something.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s
    Subscribe to our Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ClemsonOffroadClub

21. #96 Project Chewy 
    Got a few pics of orbital+reservoir etc, and some coil-over setup shots

Driver side

Pass side

Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 01-28-2015 at 12:39 PM.

22. #97 Re: Project Chewy 
    Does someone know if there's a write up of ZJ steering wheel replacement (with working pics!)

23. #98 Project Chewy 
    Some new additions

Yukon alloys

I know ...it's about time!
    Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 04-26-2016 at 08:48 PM.

24. #99 Re: Project Chewy 
    End of an era poor Chewy took his last breath today and is now in hell...
    first Jeep, first grand, the Jeep my wife and I had many dates, camping trips, wheeling trips, fishing trips and road adventures with.
    First unibody and where I learned (sometimes the hard way) most of what I know about grands

The o’l stealth crawler is gone and will be missed but never forgotten.

25. #100 Re: Project Chewy 
    RIP!
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Thread Information