Thread: short arm lift hieght

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 short arm lift hieght 
    whats the highest anyones gone, safely, with short arms? i have about 5 1/2 inches now and was wondering about stresses and such on everything, maybe upgrading to some custom long arms, i dont know its late and my mind isnt here right now lol

thanks, T
    96 ZJ, Black, 5.2, Auto, 242 Swap, D30 D44a, 3.5 inch lift and 2 inch poly boost 5.5 inches total lift, 33/12.5/15 BFG MTs on Chrome steelies

2. #2 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    My friend has a ZJ with a 6.5" short arm lift and says it does OK. I would personally just do long arms on anything over 5.5"

3. #3 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    After 4.5" your ride quality is gong to very quickly go to hell on short arms. The angle of the arms gets so bad that the jeep will have issues dealing with pot holes and it will cause bushing failure.
    95 zj, KOR 7" long arm kit, lockrights front and rear, 285/75/16 (32.9x10.3) on rock crawler 16x8x4.5bs, kevins track bar with a home brew conversion, K&N FIPK, and Rubicon Express gen II discos.

Ready for install... home brew sliders
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...hlight=sliders
    Dr. Mambo
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...ighlight=mambo

4. #4 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    yea dave i kinda thought i shouldnt go any higher, i should just pick up some 33 bfg m/ts and be happy with the extra inch and traction

thanks, T
    96 ZJ, Black, 5.2, Auto, 242 Swap, D30 D44a, 3.5 inch lift and 2 inch poly boost 5.5 inches total lift, 33/12.5/15 BFG MTs on Chrome steelies

5. #5 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    You don't need 5.5" of lift for 33s. If you're going to buy new tires, you could get 33x10.5s, remove your BB, and do minor trimming. Or just run the 32s you have now minus the BB with minor trimming. Either way, you don't need 5.5 inches of lift. It will ride and perform better on and off road. Just my .02
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

6. #6 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    long arms is the way to go caddilac of offroad

7. #7 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    yea long arms would be the shit, and i have trimmed the front bumper up so i clear well enough. and i need to buy some longer swaybar end links so i quit breaking them...

8. #8 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Slow down there tigers...are we talking stock arms or adjustable arms? There's a big difference in handling between the two. Remember that Texas ZJ1 is at 6.5" lift on adjustable short arms.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

9. #9 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    lol stock, but i have tubular one from my lift kit that need to go on, (see smoked bushings)

10. #10 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    I'd go adjustable arms at that height. Otherwise, you'll be hating life.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

11. #11 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    Yea mine is sittin at 6.5" inches on short adjustable arms. If anything like fpkites said get the adjustable arms if ur money tree isnt grown let. I havent really had a problem. The only thing i would strongly suggest you to do is re-enforce the stock arm brackets on the unibody if thinking of going that height on shorts. After a while of serious wheeling u"ll end up rippin em off!!!

12. #12 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    i am thinking reinforcing them and it seems to ride better than stock. and most of my wheeling is pretty easy gravle pit and trails stuff

13. #13 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    ripping the stock arms off is common.... it just happened for one of the members. Get adjustable arms and some reinforcements(/ build some) for the uni mounts. The next best option is looking for a long arm kit for sale on here. I will happen in the summer, thats when I got my Kevins kit.
    95 zj, KOR 7" long arm kit, lockrights front and rear, 285/75/16 (32.9x10.3) on rock crawler 16x8x4.5bs, kevins track bar with a home brew conversion, K&N FIPK, and Rubicon Express gen II discos.

Ready for install... home brew sliders
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...hlight=sliders
    Dr. Mambo
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...ighlight=mambo

14. #14 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    reinforcing the unibody mounts would be ur best bet until ur money tree grows. Especially if u arent doin anything to serious with it.

15. #15 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    how about tieing the unibody together?? something else i should worry about?

16. #16 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    going over 3.5 on short arms is just dumb and rides like crap. at 3.5 you can run 33s. any bigger tire and you need more lift and long arms. by the time you get 8 adj control arms you could almost have a long arm kit. by the way, 6.5 on short arms is the most retarded thing i have ever heard. mine rides poorly at 3.5, i dont want to think about the stress your putting your uni under at 6.5. also think offroadability when your jeep is at 6.5 and your control arms are at a 45 degree angle, its just stupid. 3.5, trim, 33s. anything bigger do long arms. dont listen to the tards that say it works cause they dont wheel and have never hit a pothole at 80 cause if you do your control arm is going to rip through your floor and impale your ass.
    97 zj ltd. 5.2, 3.5 RE w/ adj track bar, 32 maxxis buckshots

17. #17 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    Quote Originally Posted by piku303 View Post
    going over 3.5 on short arms is just dumb and rides like crap. at 3.5 you can run 33s. any bigger tire and you need more lift and long arms. by the time you get 8 adj control arms you could almost have a long arm kit. by the way, 6.5 on short arms is the most retarded thing i have ever heard. mine rides poorly at 3.5, i dont want to think about the stress your putting your uni under at 6.5. also think offroadability when your jeep is at 6.5 and your control arms are at a 45 degree angle, its just stupid. 3.5, trim, 33s. anything bigger do long arms. dont listen to the tards that say it works cause they dont wheel and have never hit a pothole at 80 cause if you do your control arm is going to rip through your floor and impale your ass.
    The things that come out of your mouth amaze me. You talk like what you say is the 100% truth. I had mine on 3.5,4.5, and 5.5 on stock uppers, adj front lowers, fixed RE rear lowers, and 32's. It rode the same all 3 times. It worked great at 5.5 for me, and yes I did wheel pikachu, few times at bigdogs and many local trails. Should you go longarms if you are planning all adj short arms yes, should you base your decision on going 5.5 and 33's from what pikachu said, no. I have rode on 5.5 short arms at 80, rides fine. Long arm is 10xbetter, but it did not ride BAD at 5.5 by any means.
    95 Rubicon ZJ-60/14b-40" LTBs on 17" ORO beadlocks-full hydro
    Uber one Ton ZJ Tech
    PSC Full Hydro Tech for ZJ
    Crawler Ready Motor Mount Install

18. #18 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    I sure as shit haven't impaled my ass with a control arm after hitting a pothole. 4.5" on adjustable short arms.

*edit: As Dave says, arms can and do get ripped off. Longarms are definitely recommended, but aftermarket short arms can be used.
    Last edited by fpkites; 12-01-2008 at 11:38 AM.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

19. #19 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    great info guys, and piku, try to be more constructive and less flaming, but i appreciate the time you took to type the rediculous paragraph. i have 5.5 inches of lift and 32's i have no problemwith the ride, sure its not stock but with the lift and bigger tires i expect it to ride a little harsher. the ride is still 100x better that the lifted leaf sprung various full sizers i have had.

thanks, T

20. #20 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    ive been at 4.5" with stock control arms for a while now... sure its not a cadilac ride but you get used to it...its really not that bad. I as well have never impaled my ass going over a pot hole

i do however have long arms from IRO on the way... but thats more for offroad performance than for ride quality... the fact that its gonna ride like a caddy is just a bonus
    Matt
    December '09 ROTM
    93 ZJ 5.2 242J
    HP30-truetrac/D44a-Aussie 4.56
    6.5" Long Arms, 35"s

21. #21 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    im thinking of custom(cheapo home made) long arms

22. #22 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    Quote Originally Posted by Spr-T-23 View Post
    im thinking of custom(cheapo home made) long arms
    Make sure the arms aren't cheapo quality though. That's the one thing on the jeep you definitely don't wanna cheap out on.

/obvious
    Last edited by dp96zj; 12-01-2008 at 05:49 PM.

23. #23 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    no, i like to think im a halfway compitent fabricated, no pourous welds, no goobering, and atleast somewhat straite

24. #24 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95maxx View Post
    The things that come out of your mouth amaze me. You talk like what you say is the 100% truth. I had mine on 3.5,4.5, and 5.5 on stock uppers, adj front lowers, fixed RE rear lowers, and 32's. It rode the same all 3 times. It worked great at 5.5 for me, and yes I did wheel pikachu, few times at bigdogs and many local trails. Should you go longarms if you are planning all adj short arms yes, should you base your decision on going 5.5 and 33's from what pikachu said, no. I have rode on 5.5 short arms at 80, rides fine. Long arm is 10xbetter, but it did not ride BAD at 5.5 by any means.
    wait wouldnt they be the things that come out of my fingers? anyways dont be a tard and think think that i am thinking like im speaking the word of God. if your gonna run 33s or especially 32s there is no point to running 5.5 inches when you could run 3.5. keep in mind before i got my new dd i was dding my jeep from atlanta to tuscaloosa al...a 4 hour drive at 80mph. 3.5 was as high as i wanted to go.
    97 zj ltd. 5.2, 3.5 RE w/ adj track bar, 32 maxxis buckshots

25. #25 Re: short arm lift hieght 
    Quote Originally Posted by piku303 View Post
    wait wouldnt they be the things that come out of my fingers? anyways dont be a tard and think think that i am thinking like im speaking the word of God. if your gonna run 33s or especially 32s there is no point to running 5.5 inches when you could run 3.5. keep in mind before i got my new dd i was dding my jeep from atlanta to tuscaloosa al...a 4 hour drive at 80mph. 3.5 was as high as i wanted to go.
    actually it would be what your fingers typed, words dont produce out of your fingers and morph onto the screen, tard, as you would put it. secondly some dont want to hack their jeep to pieces and its been verified time and again that you can go much higher than 3.5 inches and be fine, so do us all a favor and stfu

anyways, you guys have to remember that not all can afford the 3000 dollars it costs to purchase claytons or the money it costs for a welder and all the other tools neccisary to make your own kit. Short arms are more for affordability, long arms are more for practicality imo
    '98 ZJ 5.9L Ltd
    UC Springs/.5" spacer/MX6 Shocks/SCT Tuned/BBK 52mm TB/K&N FIPK/Amsoil Filter/"Jeep" Valve Covers/Doug Thorley Headers/Random Technologies Cat/Magnaflow/"Kolak" Ignition/Optima Redtop/Lotek Dual Pillar Pod/AEM Tranny Temp Gauge/Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan/RB1 WJ Nav/Vancos/EU Headlights and Turn Signals/Turn Signal Mod/JKS Disconnects

Waiting to be installed
    M1/Insulated Fuel Rails/24lb FMS Injectors/Underdrive Crank Pulley/Walbro Fuel Pump/Prothane Bushings/Hotchkis Swaybars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information