Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Best way to carry spare gas?

Thread: Best way to carry spare gas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Best way to carry spare gas? 
    So I'm just kind of rambling off ideas here, it's the way my brain works.

Long story short, I want > 1000 mile range in my grand. The obvious answer is to just carry more gas.

The original idea I had was to just have 10 jerry cans to bring total fuel capacity up to 75 gallons. With 10 of them, it's super compartmentalized so if there is a leak the most I could lose is 5.28 gallons (20 liters), in a pinch I could grab one or two and walk out for more gas, and it would be easy to take them all off and toss them in my shed when I don't need them.

The downside of that was when I figured out I'd need to put them somewhere, and the only place I really can fit them would be the roof. Even if I put 4 on the rear bumper, that would still leave 6 up top, and that's somewhere over 200 extra pounds in the worst place possible. I'm already planning on having a ton of stuff on my roof, what's a safe weight limit?

I don't mean when will the roof start caving in, I mean when will I start rolling over when I try to change lanes and fun stuff like that.
    94 5.2 LTD - Bone stock w/242 swap. 237k miles now.

2. #2 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    You knew the question was coming, Why?

Or better yet, where?
    Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 11-26-2008 at 05:29 AM.
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

3. #3 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Member Lifetime Supporter
    Its really not realistic. But a 32 gallon racing cell where the stock one is, would be a good start. Some lift springs in the rear.

4. #4 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    The most realistic solution I can come up with would be a big flat secondary fuel cell in the cargo area. I have no idea how many gallons that would be, but something about the size of the floor back there and about 6" tall should hold quite a bit. I'd think it would have to be custom.

Again, why?
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

5. #5 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    zip lock bags, they're smaller and you can stuff em anywhere
    This person should be taken as seriously as a heart attack while piloting a zeppelin over a bacon factory, which is the most serious of heart attacks, because if that zeppelin crashes into that bacon factory all of us will be without bacon and that simply will not do.

6. #6 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The most realistic solution I can come up with would be a big flat secondary fuel cell in the cargo area. I have no idea how many gallons that would be, but something about the size of the floor back there and about 6" tall should hold quite a bit. I'd think it would have to be custom.

Again, why?

You would also need to make sure it was properly vented if it's inside the cab.

The only thing I can think of is some super insane expedition wheeling, or some mad max end of the world type stuff, so I'll move this to the expedition forum.

7. #7 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    I guess I can deal with having a couple on the bumper, but more would be better.

The whole idea was to have a ton of gas so I can pass through either areas with no gas at all or hostile gas prices.

Next year I have to be in Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego Argentina for a trip to Antarctica. That's already set in stone, I'm going no matter what. I still have to figure out how I'm going to get there. I want to drive, and I'm pretty sure that's how I am going to do it. If I'm going to drive to the southern most city in the world, I figure I might as well start in Prudhoe Bay, so I get to cross the entire panamerican highway. I'm researching the hell out of crossing the darien gap, if I can find a cheap enough way to ship the car around it I'll do that.

The bigger question right now is if I'm going to drive my jeep or not. One of my friends is trying real hard to talk me into using the new FJ Cruisers for the trip, and I'm a sucker for a working AC.
    94 5.2 LTD - Bone stock w/242 swap. 237k miles now.

8. #8 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    You would also need to make sure it was properly vented if it's inside the cab.

The only thing I can think of is some super insane expedition wheeling, or some mad max end of the world type stuff, so I'll move this to the expedition forum.
    I didn't even know there was an expedition forum.

9. #9 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    That sounds like an epic trip. You may want to jump over to www.expeditionportal.com for some info on planning.

As for carrying that much fuel, I'd suggest a small expedition trailer. If you're going to be that far out there and that worried about hostile areas, you're going to want to carry a lot of spare stuff and a lot of food/water. I would look into a small trailer like an m416, m101 or some of the Adventure Trailer stuff.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

10. #10 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    Wow, 1000 miles? At 15mpg that's 67 gallons. With a 20 gallon stock tank you'll still need to tripple your capacity.

Pull the rear seats and have a custom tank(s) built to fit in that area. You don't want to add ~ 275 pounds of fuel over the rear springs only. Outside of that, pull a trailer.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

11. #11 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Sheer curiosity here - are there laws in place anywhere with regard to transporting that much fuel in a passenger vehicle? State lines? Country borders?
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

12. #12 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    If I were to pick a vehicle for this, it'd be the FJ80. (No way I'd use the new FJ cruiser)

Sounds like a hell of a trip. Hell, just to Prudhoe Bay is a hellova trip.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

13. #13 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    I would choose a toyota also...an fj80 or a tacoma. Actually, a Tacoma could solve your fuel carrying problems with it's cargo capacity.

Toyota's are much easier to find parts and service for in foreign countries, and they blend in better. The last thing you really want to do in some of those areas is stand out like a sore thumb.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

14. #14 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Y don't you lift the vehicle and just use a set of Diesel side tanks. Those tanks can hold around 50 gallons. You do realize that you'd be adding (8.33 * 75 = 624.75 lbs). You may just want to buy one of those offroad trailers and drag that behind! I gotta tell ya, if you came back with a story about how you were arrested for smuggling fuel, I would wet myself!
    98 ZJ, 4" Long-arm lift, 35" KM2's, 4.56's, TrueTrac Front, ARB rear

www.csloffroad.com

15. #15 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Yes. I know you can't have a tank in a pickup bed over 100 or 110 gals without it being placarded and the truck/driver probably licensed... it's considered a "tanker" at that point. I bed something like that applies to fuel cans as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fpkites View Post
    Sheer curiosity here - are there laws in place anywhere with regard to transporting that much fuel in a passenger vehicle? State lines? Country borders?
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

16. #16 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    i wouldnt trust the 5.2 l motor to make it that far! or the shitty trans
    "Say fuck you to Mother Nature, and kick her in the face! "
    94 Limited- 4.5" ghetto lift, Ghetto 33x12.50 Mud Kings, Ghetto wheels, Crappy stickers, some dents, custom front bumper(too be mounted), Kevins rad. support.
    Looking for 1980s VW Rabbit truck

17. #17 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Quote Originally Posted by hkszx2 View Post
    My ZJ with a 5.2 has gone 1,000 miles 190 times with no catastrophic failures... all depends on how it's maintained.

That said, I'd rather drive through Central/ South America in a 4 cyl. Toyota pikcup to blend in better if for nothing else. Those things are everywhere south of the border.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

18. #18 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    I bet the Grand could make the trip, just stay on top of the oil changes

Regardless of what you're driving, take plenty of pics and share em with us.

Good Luck!

19. #19 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    If it were me, I would build a small trailer around something like this
    Put it low in the trailer to keep COG down. with the 20 gallon tank and this, you have 80 gallons combined.

20. #20 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Quote Originally Posted by hkszx2 View Post
    i drive 1000 miles a week in my 5.2, no problems
    '98 ZJ 5.9L Ltd
    UC Springs/.5" spacer/MX6 Shocks/SCT Tuned/BBK 52mm TB/K&N FIPK/Amsoil Filter/"Jeep" Valve Covers/Doug Thorley Headers/Random Technologies Cat/Magnaflow/"Kolak" Ignition/Optima Redtop/Lotek Dual Pillar Pod/AEM Tranny Temp Gauge/Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan/RB1 WJ Nav/Vancos/EU Headlights and Turn Signals/Turn Signal Mod/JKS Disconnects

Waiting to be installed
    M1/Insulated Fuel Rails/24lb FMS Injectors/Underdrive Crank Pulley/Walbro Fuel Pump/Prothane Bushings/Hotchkis Swaybars

21. #21 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Im sorry im just bitter about having to replace the motor and trans a month apart from each other lol
    "Say fuck you to Mother Nature, and kick her in the face! "
    94 Limited- 4.5" ghetto lift, Ghetto 33x12.50 Mud Kings, Ghetto wheels, Crappy stickers, some dents, custom front bumper(too be mounted), Kevins rad. support.
    Looking for 1980s VW Rabbit truck

22. #22 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    With the money you're gonna spend filling up those tanks, why not just hit the gas station where ever you're going?

Are there gas stations where you're going?
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
    What a fucking concept, eh? How dare you bring logic to this thread. What are you, some kind of asshole?

23. #23 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Quote Originally Posted by zj-monster View Post
    With the money you're gonna spend filling up those tanks, why not just hit the gas station where ever you're going?

Are there gas stations where you're going?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenow
    I guess I can deal with having a couple on the bumper, but more would be better.

The whole idea was to have a ton of gas so I can pass through either areas with no gas at all or hostile gas prices.

Next year I have to be in Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego Argentina for a trip to Antarctica. That's already set in stone, I'm going no matter what. I still have to figure out how I'm going to get there. I want to drive, and I'm pretty sure that's how I am going to do it. If I'm going to drive to the southern most city in the world, I figure I might as well start in Prudhoe Bay, so I get to cross the entire panamerican highway. I'm researching the hell out of crossing the darien gap, if I can find a cheap enough way to ship the car around it I'll do that.

The bigger question right now is if I'm going to drive my jeep or not. One of my friends is trying real hard to talk me into using the new FJ Cruisers for the trip, and I'm a sucker for a working AC.

Yeah............
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

24. #24 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Because sometimes you go places where there are no gas stations.

One more on top and two off the rear and you are set.

If the shit fits, wear it.

25. #25 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    Try army surplus water trailers, some are quite small 200-400 gallon. You can park it and come back to it later.

400 gal army water trailer
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by ZJ TINS; 03-17-2009 at 10:58 PM.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information