Thread: Best way to carry spare gas?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #26 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 

2. #27 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    zzz... Lifetime Supporter JolleyRoger's Avatar
    I know I've seen an auxillary tank that fits between the drivers side unit body and the driveshaft opposite the exhaust... however, I can't seem to find my link,

3. #28 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Yeah, check out the ARB.au site, it's in the Grand Cherokee section. Check the Chrysler tab in LongRanger site to find the ZJ tanks, since Jeep's not one of the choices. With enough interest, maybe we could get a group buy together to defray the costs of shipping from Aus. I'll bet this tank could be coaxed to work with a long arm system with a little creative fabrication too!

4. #29 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Where to put the extra fuel is not what I would be concerned about if you want to take your ZJ, but the 230k (looking at your sig) on a unitbody based vehicle, engine (any engine), and likely 44a. Maybe you have changed your engine and bearings on the 44a, but the unitbody is a serious concern unless you have not wheeled it much. Still all the weight of the spares and gear you would need is going to stress things more than engineers planned.

My $0.02 would be to go with a Toyota truck based vehicle unless you need a wagon for potential sleeping room, then an FJ80.

No I am not bagging on the Grand's base body, nor 5.2, but this isn't the best place to be taking a poorly supported vehicle.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

5. #30 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Are there any other manufacturers of extended range fuel tanks other than the long ranger? Perhaps a larger factory style tank,like the one downey offers for a tacoma?

6. #31 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    I know I'm going to hell for resurrecting a 7 month old thread, but whatever.

On a WJ you can get a custom built tank that inserts into the spare tire compartment.

If you want to utilize the most space, then completely cut out the spare tire compartment between the frame rails and insert a square fuel cell.

As for other vehicles, how about using steel bumpers? Many Land Cruiser guys store compressed air in their bumpers, so why not fuel? You can have it separated by bulkheads so if you spring a leak in one compartment, you're not losing all your fuel.

7. #32 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtruenos View Post
    As for other vehicles, how about using steel bumpers? Many Land Cruiser guys store compressed air in their bumpers, so why not fuel? You can have it separated by bulkheads so if you spring a leak in one compartment, you're not losing all your fuel.
    Why the hell would you want a gas tank to be the first thing to get hit in a rear end collision?
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

8. #33 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Probably drove a Pinto in a former life.....
    1998 5.9er, 6" Claytons Long arm, D30(elocker), Rubi D44 rear, TJ Addco rear sway bar, WJ knuckles/brakes, 4.10s, 33s, 9.5ti

'93 ZJ LTD, 5.2L, Claytons Longarm, 8" lift D44 front(w/elocker), D60 rear(welded), 37" IROKS, 5.38s, 9.5ti<scrapped>

9. #34 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    I too have seen an auxillary tank that goes on the driver's side opposite of the muffler from australia. I'm betting you could get one made at a local custom truck upfitter shop that sells to the commercial industry. They often make custom tanks for commercial/service trucks.
    1998 5.9er, 6" Claytons Long arm, D30(elocker), Rubi D44 rear, TJ Addco rear sway bar, WJ knuckles/brakes, 4.10s, 33s, 9.5ti

'93 ZJ LTD, 5.2L, Claytons Longarm, 8" lift D44 front(w/elocker), D60 rear(welded), 37" IROKS, 5.38s, 9.5ti<scrapped>

10. #35 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    Why the hell would you want a gas tank to be the first thing to get hit in a rear end collision?
    ........if you've got a lifted Jeep that qualifies a need for a steel front/rear bumper, then your gas tank is going to be hit by the Toyota that submarines under you, and the driver's head is what's going to hit your back bumper.

11. #36 Re: Best way to carry spare gas? 
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtruenos View Post
    The bumper would need to be made from 4x4x.188 and at least 12' of tube used just to get close to 10gal. At which point, a jerry can starts to look like a pretty good idea..... Not trying to crush the idea but check out some volume calculators, and you will quickly find that the space needed to net eough volume to make it worth the effort would have you living with enormous/heavy bumpers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information