Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
9.25 Axle swap in a WJ?

Thread: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ?

1. #1 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    I found a local 9.25 thats geared to 4.56's, locked, and got new brakes. Would that be a good swap for my WJ? I'm currently on 33's, but plan to run 35's in the future.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    2000 WJ - Stroked, Locked & Long Armed
    2006 XK 2" RC & 31" AT's

2. #2 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    It wouldn't be my first choice but if the price was right its not a horrible axle. Do you know how wide it is ?

I know the ram 1500's in the 90's had them so if its out of one of those it might be real wide for you, I know very little about it.
    Nick
    03 WJ 4.7 242HD Kolak/IRO 5" Clayton LA's
    35" BFGoodrich KM2

sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
    www.carolinadriveline.com
    www.ironrockoffroad.com
    kolak@aol.com

3. #3 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    I'm in the same boat of knowing very little, but he's only asking $250!

Its out of a 2000 Dodge 1500.
    2006 XK 2" RC & 31" AT's

4. #4 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    I can't speak one way or another for an axle...but the theory that buying it because it is cheap is the wrong way to go about it if you don't know shit about it.
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

5. #5 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    Well so far, here's what I found:
    Good:
    Strength is comparable to a 9 or 60
    Already geared to 4.56
    Already Locked (Detroit of some kind)
    ~64" WMS to WMS

Bad:
    Uses C-Clips (only negative if somehow I managed to break an axle)
    Drums?
    Bolt Pattern?
    2006 XK 2" RC & 31" AT's

6. #6 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    Here are some thoughts to ponder.

WJs are 63.5 inches WMS to WMS so the 64 inch WMS on the 9.25 is almost perfect.
    WJs have a 5 on 5 bolt pattern and I believe Dodge half tons are 5 on 5 1/2. You can use a spacer to make the bolt patterns fit and those types of spacers are typically at least an inch wide. Which means you will need to put spacers on the front too or go with two different wheels. Or you can have the hole re-drilled to 5 on 5. Most of the time re-drilling works pretty well.

The Drum brakes will need to be swapped to discs or you will have issues getting the proportioning to work.

Now for the big one. Your dub uses the rear ABS tone rings for the speedo. This means the 9.25 will need to be from an ABS model and the tone rings need to be the same. You can re-clock the tone rings with a Lokar or Dakota Digital device but more time and money. WJ have 52 notches on the tone rings and I have no idea on the Rams.

You can use the front tone rings to run your speedo or put an SYE with a speedo pick up on the transfer case. Both methods work well. I am doing the front tone ring set up and have over 15k miles since doing it.

In my opinion the 9.25 would be worth considering if it truly is only 64 inches WMS to WMS. but like mentioned you should want to do this swap because it makes sense to do so and not just because it was cheap. To make it right you will need to cut off the old mounting hardware, aquire and weld on new hardware, adapt brakes, find solution for speedo, adapt bolt pattern and ETC.
    Last edited by Mtn WJ; 10-11-2008 at 11:36 AM.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

7. #7 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    Some guys chart off pirate that has comparison of ring gear/axle shaft specs:

http://xj.no-ip.org/axle.html

It definitely is pretty strong...much stronger than the 44a for sure.

According to another 108 teeth on the tone ring:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8793514

Aside from the c-clips the other problem you may have with the axle is after market support, 4.56 gears I think are no the highest you can go on it and prices tended to be more expensive for parts (lockers) on the 9.25.

For the bolt pattern I would just run 1" adapters in the back and then 1.5" adapters up front and you'll be even with same wheel bolt patterns.

Pretty much every axle has its quirks...if you could get that axle to work with your speedo and I guess even your ABS I think that would be pretty sweet. Strength wise I wouldn't be concerned about that breaking on the dub unless you decide to one day go to 39.5+ crew.
    Nick
    35" BFGoodrich KM2

www.ironrockoffroad.com
    kolak@aol.com

8. #8 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    Thanks for the replies guys. To be honest, if this axle wasn't already geared and locked I wouldn't be considering it. But since it already has the proper gearing and locker it seems like it might work out. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller to confirm the width, but I think its gonna be around 64" which would be perfect for the WJ. I'm currently running 1.25" wheel spacers, so if I got some 1.25" adapters to correct the BP, I'd be in about the same boat.

As far as the ABS/speedo, thats a problem with just about every axle you swap into a WJ. I plan to rewire it to get the speed signal from the front tone rings. I'll probably just ditch the ABS as the WJ is soon to be retired from DD duty.

For the build it'll end up with 4.56 gears, chromo/u-jointed D30, 35" tires, and a locked rear axle. I had planned to build a 9". I already have an empty housing and a mini-spool, but I'm lacking gears, brakes and setup.
    2006 XK 2" RC & 31" AT's

9. #9 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    its funny that every post that is talking about WJ's rear axle picking up the speed, i swapped in my 9" rear first and never had a problem with the speedo or odometer, it wasnt untill i swapped in the hp 44 in the front that i had no speedo or odometer

the 9.25 is a pretty stout axle, and for an hour or so of you time the rear shafts can be drilled for 5 on 5" i would just leave it at 5x5.5" and swap in a hp 44 in the front later down the road,
    99 WJ, D60/14B, 5.38s, 203/D300, 39.5"s, H1s

It was a jeep thing, but that shit broke

10. #10 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    I think the 9.25 is a 6 lug axle, and it's also used in some durango's
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

11. #11 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adam99wj View Post
    its funny that every post that is talking about WJ's rear axle picking up the speed, i swapped in my 9" rear first and never had a problem with the speedo or odometer, it wasnt untill i swapped in the hp 44 in the front that i had no speedo or odometer

the 9.25 is a pretty stout axle, and for an hour or so of you time the rear shafts can be drilled for 5 on 5" i would just leave it at 5x5.5" and swap in a hp 44 in the front later down the road,

If you speedometer worked with out using the rear tone rings and not wiring the front ones to the rear inputs I would be amazed. I tested that theory on my 2001 and the speedo did not work. The rear ABS sensor wires on my 2001 WJ are what in stock form take up the speedo sesnor as well. So be careful in saying the speedo will work ok if you remove the rear ABS duing an axle swap. I am using my front sensors to feed the rear sensor input and have done this since 2005. Works great for me. Yes I have pulled the ABS fuses to avoid any ABS problems.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

12. #12 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    i am saying that my 1999 WJ read speed from the front ABS sensors, and not the rear ABS sensors, its weird that ALL others read it from the rear
    99 WJ, D60/14B, 5.38s, 203/D300, 39.5"s, H1s

It was a jeep thing, but that shit broke

13. #13 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    I'm waiting to hear back from the owner to confirm the type of locker, WMS to WMS measurement and bolt pattern. If it all looks good, I'm gonna jump on it! Maybe I'll be the first one to put a 9.25 under a WJ....

Just received a PM from the seller. The axle is 64" wms to wms, 5x5.5 bp,full Detroit locker, and 4.56 Yukon gears. The locker, gears and brakes were just installed aound 500 miles ago.
    Last edited by rradford9; 10-13-2008 at 09:17 PM.
    2006 XK 2" RC & 31" AT's

14. #14 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    allow me to ad this rradford has a 31 spline 9" and mini spool just needs regeared and can get gears for $130 now what axle wil be best for him and cost to prof.install each axle.sorry ryan its for your own good.

97 zj 4.0,long arms,hp30,8.8,locked,4.88"s,9mpg

15. #15 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    That is not including the master install kit. Another $100. And also, say he messes up on the install of the gears and ruins a bearing. That is more money. Granted a good lesson in gear setup. But Also figure in extra time he has to put into the 9" as money he is close to the cost of the 9.25. Just playing devils advocate.
    Will

99 4.0 DubJ 35"MTRs/ Custom IRO LA's/ Currie 9" housing/ Yukon 4.88 Gears 35 spline Grizzly Rear Lockers and ARB Front.

The Hookup Build http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12701

16. #16 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    Besides who wants a crappy Ford part under their heep.
    Nick
    35" BFGoodrich KM2

www.ironrockoffroad.com
    kolak@aol.com

17. #17 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by novacayne75 View Post
    allow me to ad this rradford has a 31 spline 9" and mini spool just needs regeared and can get gears for $130 now what axle wil be best for him and cost to prof.install each axle.sorry ryan its for your own good.

Here's more info

The 9.25:
    -Has a full Detroit Locker, which would be better than a mini spool for a rig that will still see some DD duty.
    -Gears recently setup
    -Has brand new brakes, granted they're drums...
    -Needs coil buckets/CA mounts/shocks tabs setup to go under WJ

The 9 needs a complete build-up. I.E. locker (sold the mini spool already), gears, brakes, & all bracketry.
    Last edited by rradford9; 10-28-2008 at 02:06 PM.
    2006 XK 2" RC & 31" AT's

18. #18 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    GSSW Planner
    Back to the tone rings- when I did my 9" swap (front), the ID of a stock tone ring was about .25" smaller than the mount on the new hubs. I just had a shop pull them, bore them out and press them on the new hubs. Cost me $75, if you like your ABS maybe this would be a reasonable approach.
    2004 WJ 60\14b ARB\lockrite 37" Nitto mud grapplers

Quote Originally Posted by SuicideTireZJ View Post
    If there's one thing I like more than Moab and Grand Cherokees, it's a little boy on boy action.

19. #19 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by FearTheDentist View Post
    Back to the tone rings- when I did my 9" swap (front), the ID of a stock tone ring was about .25" smaller than the mount on the new hubs. I just had a shop pull them, bore them out and press them on the new hubs. Cost me $75, if you like your ABS maybe this would be a reasonable approach.

I did something very similar with the front tone rings on my chromo shafts and XJ outers. Mainly for the speed sensor though, I don't care that much about the ABS.

Anyone else have an opinion on which axle would be best? How much harder will it be to setup the 9.25 than the 9"? From what I understand, the 9 is steel housing, so you can weld directly to it and the 9.25 is cast, so I'd have to have a truss made to connect the upper links.
    2006 XK 2" RC & 31" AT's

20. #20 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    about 3 more hrs labor + steel to set up 9.25 over the 9" also think of the ground clearance u WILL gain with the 9

21. #21 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by novacayne75 View Post
    about 3 more hrs labor + steel to set up 9.25 over the 9" also think of the ground clearance u WILL gain with the 9
    I don't think it'll take you 3 hours to make a simple truss like this? What if we just put some plate on the top/drill/tap holes to mount the stock a-arm?
    Last edited by rradford9; 11-01-2008 at 06:35 PM.
    2006 XK 2" RC & 31" AT's

22. #22 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    ok so do u plan on buying a bracket kit of some kind or do i need to cut and drill the link mounts in that pic? its the little crap that takes time and yes i know ill need to do the same for the 9 but i just dont think you will get as much out of a 9.25 as the 9 such as being able to upgrade cheap and easy like say axles did u know that u can get 40 spline shafts,or ground clearance ? a shaved 9 has about 2 1/2" inches more than a 9.25! disk brakes can be installed cheap and easy. and the most important part id rather install the 9 !!!

23. #23 Re: 9.25 Axle swap in a WJ? 
    I also will be doing both front and rear axle swap on my ZJ. Donor truck is a 2003 dodge 2500. It has an AAM 11.5 rearend and a 9.25 front. I don't wanna cut them down. I'd like to have the width for stability. If I need to move the axles forward up front and rearward in the back I'm ok with that. Any input would be helpful! I do like this site. You guys have a lot of smart folks here. Hope I can help someone here one-day so I can carry my own weight here.

Thread Information