View Poll Results: What $ amount for add'l fees would prohibit you from attending GSW?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I already scrounge my couch for change to make the trip, can't afford anything else

1 2.04%
  • $50

9 18.37%
  • $100

19 38.78%
  • Doesn't matter, I'm filthy stinking rich

12 24.49%
  • Can't afford to go even if the event is free

3 6.12%
  • I don't go to GSW because I don't like to have fun

5 10.20%

Thread: GSW 2009 and additional costs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #51 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Considering GSW is a family event, we try to make it so that kids (whether college/high school age, or the drivers' kids, also one of the planners is a teacher) who are in school can attend too. It's historically been the same weekend as Father's Day which is usually a week or two later and even hotter. Last year the weather was pretty much perfect just a week earlier. If you'd like to offer your time to help plan the event and help us make decisions such as when the event is held, handling permits and insurance, deciding trails, leading trails, banquet planning, soliciting sponsors for raffle donations, etc etc etc we welcome pretty much all the help we can get.

2. #52 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Last year's weather was just about perfect - 2007 was hotter than shit, and that was father's day weekend. It seems that just one week can separate the great weather and hell on rocks
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

3. #53 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Yeah I agree, last years weather was perfect!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

4. #54 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    If gas prices stay below $2 a gallon, I'm sure a lot more people will be showing up. The idea of splitting the group up might work the best. I haven't attended a GSW yet, but living in Colorado and now Utah provides me and other local guys with more flexibility to pick and choose to go when we want. I personally like smaller groups better. I have made enough contacts down there and have a few places to sleep, get welding if needed, and even a flatbed for towing if I break down. I would love to get to GSW, but when will you guys have a final cost number?
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

5. #55 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Quote Originally Posted by fpkites View Post
    Last year's weather was just about perfect - 2007 was hotter than shit, and that was father's day weekend. It seems that just one week can separate the great weather and hell on rocks
    2007 was hotter than hell. Although Hunter saw it hotter last summer where he was. I think Arlo has a pic of his thermometer at 108 or something like that.

6. #56 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    4 JEEPIN Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner

Quote Originally Posted by black_zj View Post
    I would love to get to GSW, but when will you guys have a final cost number?
    It will be approximately $30 per vehicle/driver to cover insurance and BLM daily permit fees for June 5-6. Registration details will be announced soon with exact details and costs.
    Sandy Reshes
    Every GSW since it started in 1998, except for 2014
    95 ZJ with Clayt's longarms, some cool ARB & OME stuff
    05 Rubicon

Please patronize our GSW sponsors

7. #57 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    Cool thanks guys. With gas so much lower (for me) this will be much cheaper this year.
    I for one really appreciate all the hard work and long hours by everyone to make this continue to happen year in and year our.

3 cheers for the planning committee and sponsors!

8. #58 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJ TINS View Post
    Cool thanks guys. With gas so much lower (for me) this will be much cheaper this year.
    I for one really appreciate all the hard work and long hours by everyone to make this continue to happen year in and year our.

3 cheers for the planning committee and sponsors!

Lets just hope it doesn't go up again rapidly this summer like it normally does. It has already gone up over 50 cents per gallon here in Colorado since this winters low
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

9. #59 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    As others have pointed out, most spend hundreds/thousands to get their rigs ready and get them out to and back from Moab. Of course budgets are tight - but I doubt the $50-$100 would keep anyone who was really planning on going from going. . .

I do think "pizza in the park" would be a great way to trim costs some. I think it's a little easier to socialize in that setting anyway. If it's not raining, we can do vollyball, throw a football/frisbee, etc.

Not that I'm pleased about the limitations being placed on our access to public lands. Heaven knows we already pay too many taxes and fees as it is (and it really disgusts me when interest groups lobby successfully for fees to make things prohibitive or to "punish" citizens / change their behavior).

I have marked off June 5-7 on my calendar.
    '98 ZJ 5.2L with 7" KOR lift, 35x12.5 MT/R's
    D30HP 760 axles/u-joints with Ox in front, 8.8 with Detroit in rear

Build and offroad pics at jeepsite.net

10. #60 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    PLEASE NOTE: Alcohol is prohibited in all Moab parks, just in case that changes anyone's mind.

11. #61 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Quote Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
    Lets just hope it doesn't go up again rapidly this summer like it normally does. It has already gone up over 50 cents per gallon here in Colorado since this winters low
    Arlo, a lot will depend on if there is a refrinery workers strike. If they strike you will see a very strange phenomenon, crude prices will sink, and gasoline prices will skyrocket.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Thread Information