View Poll Results: What $ amount for add'l fees would prohibit you from attending GSW?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I already scrounge my couch for change to make the trip, can't afford anything else

1 2.04%
  • $50

9 18.37%
  • $100

19 38.78%
  • Doesn't matter, I'm filthy stinking rich

12 24.49%
  • Can't afford to go even if the event is free

3 6.12%
  • I don't go to GSW because I don't like to have fun

5 10.20%

Thread: GSW 2009 and additional costs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #26 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Colorado is free.

50-100 I think is reasonable, but if it's over 100 I wouldn't think you'd need to worry about more than 25 rigs showing up. Who knows what gas prices will be at that time next year.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

2. #27 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
    Ignoring the 50 cap, even the past couple years 50 people haven't been showing up. So with gas prices continue to be higher and higher each summer, I think fewer and fewer people will show up regardless of the 50 cap.
    Not getting 50 rigs may have something to do with the limit and a feeling you cant go. I know we allow more than 50 to register. However nearing the 50 and beyond, people may feel they wont get in and dont sign up. They may not want to go through the trouble of making reservations, or getting time off from work, just to cancel them. Especially considering you need 14 people to drop out to go yourself. Not good odds. If there were no cap, I would bet we would go over 50. There were 64 registered last year and we had like 42-46? I am guessing the percentage of registered to attendees would go down, but that wouldn't matter if we paid and we allowed more people.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

3. #28 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    64 registered, 42 confirmed, and I bet even less then 42 showed up. Plenty of room left. If they were on the fence about "well there are close to 50 so screw it" then add on another fee and no way they'll show up. The fact that there is a limit encourages you to do it sooner rather the later IMHO...

Now if there is a $60 fee for instance, but unlimited people, not only will the fee discourage people, but you have to sign up far in advance (no signing up 2 weeks beforehand) because of the insurance work. So no more people who are "scrambling to get it finished up until the last moment but aren't sure" unless they want to risk the $60.
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

4. #29 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    $60 wouldn't be an issue to me as long as we don't have the $60+ for banquet...I think that would be a deal-breaker (possibly) for me. I guess you could put me in the $100 limit club. I would truly hate having to miss the full group get-together because of the cost.

After having attended 2 GSW events, I'm fairly positive that I and my family will be attending for as long as the group can do it. The first 2 years were a helluva lot of learning for us, and now it's becoming a reunion of sorts...not often that you can meet up with as good of friends as we do at these events.

Bottom line, I would have (minimal) problem with some minor fees so that we can get together and do what we love. Permits and insurance? Great...Let's try and figure out how to do a banquet so that there is minimal cost to the participants, and even less work for the organizers so that they can enjoy it with us!
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

5. #30 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    The fact that there is a limit encourages you to do it sooner rather the later IMHO...
    Yes. So anyone who is unable to give a commitment sooner, but very well could commit later will be discouraged. I missed 2 GSWs because I had to travel for work. I was sent out on a Sunday for one, and the other I was returning on a Friday (which could be a Wednesday or Saturday, who knows). So I know I was discouraged to sign up because I knew with my job I couldn't commit early.

Now if there is a $60 fee for instance, but unlimited people, not only will the fee discourage people, but you have to sign up far in advance (no signing up 2 weeks beforehand) because of the insurance work. So no more people who are "scrambling to get it finished up until the last moment but aren't sure" unless they want to risk the $60.
    I was pointing out there being no limit more people would show. But I do agree if you need to pay so far in advance there will be less people. Again referring to what I wrote above. I know my dad bought plane tickets 6 weeks in advance, so we were going. I also there were people who decided to show at the last minute. That is the way most events will be.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

6. #31 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    Gas from Iowa to MOAB and back, around $500.
    Room and board for 8 days, around $800.
    Insurance around $100

Crawling around Moab, ---Priceless

7. #32 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Are there any dates lined up for GSW2009?

8. #33 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    4 JEEPIN Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalhoosier View Post
    Are there any dates lined up for GSW2009?
    June 5-7, 2009 pending our being able to work through new BLM requirements for permits, fees and insurance which would impose a cost on participants for the first time in our history. We wil keep this site updated as we determine if and how GSW plays out in 2009.
    Sandy Reshes
    Every GSW since it started in 1998, except for 2014
    95 ZJ with Clayt's longarms, some cool ARB & OME stuff
    05 Rubicon

Please patronize our GSW sponsors

9. #34 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy R View Post
    June 5-7, 2009 pending our being able to work through new BLM requirements for permits, fees and insurance which would impose a cost on participants for the first time in our history. We wil keep this site updated as we determine if and how GSW plays out in 2009.

Excellent. Thanks!!!! I'm definitely excited to go!!

10. #35 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    I have had a good time the last couple years for free I wouldn't mind paying a entrance fee of $100-$200 and now that I am a Zj owner I can fully participate! Can't wait.

11. #36 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    I have had a good time the last couple years for free I wouldn't mind paying a entrance fee of $100-$200 and now that I am a Zj owner I can fully participate! Can't wait.
    DOM!!! You're first post! Let's go drink to that
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

12. #37 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    So, I'll ask the ignorant question of...

What is the "insurance" for. What and who is it covering? Is it insurance for the land that's damaged with "what we do"? Covering someone that's injured at Moab? Or covering the "owners" of the land from getting sued from the asshat that got hurt at Moab and wanted to blame the owners?

I've never been to Moab before and don't know how they operate. Like ATL mentioned earlier...we don't have to deal with this crap (yet) on the east coast which is why i'm asking. I'd love to make it out there but with gas prices, life itself (lol) and extra crap like this coming up, it'll only make it harder.
    "Matt"

13. #38 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Grand Slam West Planner

Good question! The insurance protects the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) against claims for the reasons you mentioned in your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Preppi12 View Post
    So, I'll ask the ignorant question of...

What is the "insurance" for. What and who is it covering? Is it insurance for the land that's damaged with "what we do"? Covering someone that's injured at Moab? Or covering the "owners" of the land from getting sued from the asshat that got hurt at Moab and wanted to blame the owners?

I've never been to Moab before and don't know how they operate. Like ATL mentioned earlier...we don't have to deal with this crap (yet) on the east coast which is why i'm asking. I'd love to make it out there but with gas prices, life itself (lol) and extra crap like this coming up, it'll only make it harder.
    Sandy Reshes
    05 Rubicon

14. #39 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Yup we sign a waiver saying we cant sue and pay insurance for them any way ... can we say deep pockets???

Questions raised last year, Pizza in the park instead of the banquet in attempt to stave of some cost? I like the banquet but the more things change...

Or what about the back room of the bar we go to, they seat at least 30 or so I just wonder if they would rope off the some area for 50-70 (with familes). Also the mexican place, maybe.

Just thinking out loud.

15. #40 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    i have never attended GSW and really wanted to make it out for '09.

i think $100 would be my limit
    Matt
    December '09 ROTM
    93 ZJ 5.2 242J
    HP30-truetrac/D44a-Aussie 4.56
    6.5" Long Arms, 35"s

16. #41 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Member Lifetime Supporter Mochisme's Avatar
    I love the Moab area, but have never Been wheeling there (YET!) and until a couple of months ago had never heard of Grand Slams.

I will make every effort to attend GSW in 2009 regardless of the cost which I know the people working on this will control to the best of their abilities.

The sooner a date(s) is firmed up, the sooner I can pay and make my plans for being there.

Thanks to all involved in planning this event, it is hard work and appreciated even if it does not always show in the comments here.
    Ted

2000 WJ Stock, Towed behind the Motor Home
    2000 Monaco La Palma 34' Class A Motorhome

17. #42 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Grand Slam West Planner

Quote Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
    The sooner a date(s) is firmed up, the sooner I can pay and make my plans for being there.
    Costs are not yet determined and the event is not yet set in stone but the dates are June 5-7 for planning purposes.
    Sandy Reshes
    05 Rubicon

18. #43 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Well, 5-6th technically since Sunday is going to be a non-offical day (or that is the current plan I believe).
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

19. #44 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Grand Slam West Planner

Well, 5-6th technically since Sunday is going to be a non-offical day (or that is the current plan I believe).
    or it won't be on BLM land.
    Sandy Reshes
    05 Rubicon

20. #45 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    GSW is my "Man trip". While I'm not made of money, a weekend wheeling in Moab is priceless. My cash flow is tight this year with a baby due in March, but so long as I know the final amount a couple months in advance I can budget for it.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

21. #46 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Grand Slam West Planner

Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Z View Post
    GSW is my "Man trip". While I'm not made of money, a weekend wheeling in Moab is priceless. My cash flow is tight this year with a baby due in March, but so long as I know the final amount a couple months in advance I can budget for it.
    We do not have final numbers yet but we're talking less than $100, hopefully much less. But we are not yet in a position to promise less or set fees until we know exactly how many agencies and organizations we need to pay for insurance and use fees. If you budget $100 it should be more than enough to cover with pitchers to spare.
    Sandy Reshes
    05 Rubicon

22. #47 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Any word on the banquet? Seems like last year it was getting very expensive for what we got, but I understand it still may be the only choice. For the younger crowd or those with families a different venue (keep hearing about pizza in the park) could save some big bucks.

You guys probably know better this I but found this link:

http://www.moabutah.info/convention.htm
    Last edited by ZJ TINS; 01-19-2009 at 02:03 PM.

23. #48 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Personally I think pizza (or the likewise) at the park would be great! I attended Blazer Bash for the past few years and that is what they did as well, many families/children attended and it turn out to be a good time. I'm willing to put in any volunteer work myself to help out.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

24. #49 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Member Lifetime Supporter Mochisme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy R View Post
    Costs are not yet determined and the event is not yet set in stone but the dates are June 5-7 for planning purposes.
    Planning is the plan! I just completed making reservations for a room in Moab, UT for four nights (June 4 through the 8th ), so I will be there for sure. Now the question I have to deal with (Assuming the dates do not change) is which Grand Cherokee will I show up with? (Maybe both)
    Ted

2000 WJ Stock, Towed behind the Motor Home
    2000 Monaco La Palma 34' Class A Motorhome

25. #50 Re: GSW 2009 and additional costs 
    Are these the only dates they could think of? I was in Moab back in June for the Summer Solstice and it was so freakin hot it was hard to enjoy it!! I'll be there for Spring Break for sure though.
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thread Information