Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Splinter - Page 2

Thread: Splinter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #26 Re: Splinter 
    that is badass!

2. #27 Re: Splinter 
    Your front end looks great. I can't help but picture it with flat fenders, like the tube ones for Wranglers haha.
    1998 ZJ

3. #28 Re: Splinter 
    Out of curiosity, why did you cut and angle in only the front part of the fender rather then the entire side? I havent looked in my engine bay in a while, so im not sure whether or not there is enough room. I just figured it would eliminate the extra body work.

4. #29 Re: Splinter 
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    Out of curiosity, why did you cut and angle in only the front part of the fender rather then the entire side? I havent looked in my engine bay in a while, so im not sure whether or not there is enough room. I just figured it would eliminate the extra body work.
    because of THIS

5. #30 Re: Splinter 
    Pictures are worth 1000 words.

Thanks ATL

6. #31 Re: Splinter 
    [quote=Derek33;215609]Out of curiosity, why did you cut and angle in only the front part of the fender rather then the entire side? I havent looked in my engine bay in a while, so im not sure whether or not there is enough room. I just figured it would eliminate the extra body work.[/quote

I cut it that way because the front coil mounts are incorporated into the inner fender liner.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsJerry View Post
    Your front end looks great. I can't help but picture it with flat fenders, like the tube ones for Wranglers haha.
    I know I thought the same thing I have actually always wanted to build some tube fenders, I think they would look bitchin!
    93' ZJ 5.2L 5.5" LA, 60/14, 40s full hydro dovenose'd

96' Ford F250 Ext.Cab Short Box 4" lift, 35s, Boost&Pyro gauges, 3" Down pipe, 4" straight pipe,

7. #32 Re: Splinter 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    because of THIS

Fuckin ugly eat shit cam
    Ray Charles gofast Tjuggy tons atlas 40" creepys,BLACKMAMBA 3500 Suburban 8.1 tow monster

8. #33 Re: Splinter 
    I got some 36" TLS from a buddy for $200

Took it out wheelin and this is what happened. lol Knew it was gunna happen eventually but didnt expect to break it the first trip.

So I picked up a dana 44 rear axle will 3.73s and another dana 30 with the matching gears for $100. Hopefully they will last till I get something else.

Welded in some gussets on the upper control arm mounts since the rear one that the trac-bar mounts to on my old axle ripped off the axle tube.

I got both axles in and went to bolt up my driveshafts and my front driveshaft is about two inches to short. The axle I got had the yoke for the cv driveshaft and mines the u-joint so I swapped yokes and it was too short. I got to looking at the axles and the housing on the new axle is about two inches longer. Has anyone ever run into this problem? Or is there a driveshaft that I can get to make work? I have been thinking about just making my own. Anyone have any ideas id appreciate the help.
    Last edited by racerx145; 11-30-2008 at 11:10 PM.

96' Ford F250 Ext.Cab Short Box 4" lift, 35s, Boost&Pyro gauges, 3" Down pipe, 4" straight pipe,

9. #34 Re: Splinter 
    you can take your current ds to a ds shop and have it made the right lenght. or theres always tom woods $$$
    95 zj, KOR 7" long arm kit, lockrights front and rear, 285/75/16 (32.9x10.3) on rock crawler 16x8x4.5bs, kevins track bar with a home brew conversion, K&N FIPK, and Rubicon Express gen II discos.

Ready for install... home brew sliders
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...hlight=sliders
    Dr. Mambo
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...ighlight=mambo

10. #35 Re: Splinter 
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerousdave View Post
    you can take your current ds to a ds shop and have it made the right lenght. or theres always tom woods $$$
    \
    Thought about that but dont wanna spend the money and its a trail rig only and trailered everywhere. I had a buddy that built a driveshaft for his xj and he never had any problems with it and he said it barely vibrated at all. So im probably just going to build my own.

11. #36 Re: Splinter 
    you can make a drive shaft for it. just have to make sure u get it str8 as possible.

Im still rocking out on a rear drive shaft i made at crawferds camp on the front porch of are cabin When we did gsse 2007. Mine turned out so when u dont even feel it on the highway.

12. #37 Re: Splinter 
    Quote Originally Posted by MUDDTRACKS View Post
    you can make a drive shaft for it. just have to make sure u get it str8 as possible.

Im still rocking out on a rear drive shaft i made at crawferds camp on the front porch of are cabin When we did gsse 2007. Mine turned out so when u dont even feel it on the highway.
    x2 I make all my own shafts. Just buy a cheap dial indicator from northern or harbor freight with a magnetic stand. Stick the dial indicator probe on the tube (if you are using round) while you're lining up the slip section with the tube, and rotate the tube while watching the dial. Tap it lightly with a rubber mallet at its highest point, as shown on the dial indicator until you get it within 10 thousandths, if not better. Then tack it in, alternating sides of the shaft and recheck using the dial indicator. If it's still OK, weld it.

13. #38 Re: Splinter 
    Took your guys advice and just built my own front driveshaft. Came out pretty good got it up to 60mph on the street and no vibs.

Took it out on a test run this weekend, which ended up three test runs. Fri nite, Sat nite, and Sunday. Went out in the snow now that we finally got some. Heres a few pics. Not really any action pics kinda hard to drive and take pics

My little bro and his xj

14. #39 Re: Splinter 
    Looks like you had a great time in the deep snow!!

I need to get out and find some snow to play in!!

15. #40 Re: Splinter 
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherSide View Post
    Looks like you had a great time in the deep snow!!

I need to get out and find some snow to play in!!

It wasnt as deep as id hoped for, but it was still a blast. You should be able to find some snow up your way. Its been snowing pretty much non stop the last two days and been about 5 degrees so hopefully the next trip we will get into some deep snow!

16. #41 Re: Splinter 
    So I finally got around to building a front bumper and mounting my winch. I've only had the winch for 2yrs I cut out the stock front bumper and grill to suck the winch back tight to the radiator and of course in the process my buddy pushed the winch into the oil cooler and a hose clamp on the cooler poked a hole in my radiator. So now I gotta get it fixed.

17. #42 Re: Splinter 
    Went out wheeling this weekend to Schwatz Canyon here in Central Oregon. Had never been there before it was a blast. Till I broke a shock and blew up my rearend Haven't tore it apart yet but I think the ring and pinion went put a few dings and a hole in my diff cover

So after I dropped off the jeep at home went and picked up a 3/4 ton ford with a hp44 and 60. Ordered all the brackets and high steer kit from Ballistic Fab Will be starting on it in a week or two. My shops full of buddies rigs straight axle'n a yota and a xj goin on 3/4 tons and 40's.

18. #43 Re: Splinter 
    Well my plans have changed from going 44/60 to 60/14bolt Got a good deal on a hp60 without shafts or spindles, brakes, etc.. Got that stuff for $150 and wasn't worried about not having any shafts cause I wanted to upgrade to 35 spline anyways. Then was going to run the 60 in the rear and sold my 36's and 5 lug wheels and the kid has a 14 bolt i am picking up tomorrow for $150. Ordered Ballistic brackets just used them on a buddies XJ they are Beef! I will get some pics posted up soon. I am wanting to find some H1 wheels and 39.5 or 42 Iroks to run. Should be sweet!

19. #44 Re: Splinter 
    Looks like fun wheeling. You'll be glad you went straight to 60/14b... "3/4 ton" is rarely as burly as it sounds.

20. #45 Re: Splinter 
    So I finally got a chance to work on my jeep today. Got a 60 front a few weeks ago from a buddy for a good price but it needed stub axles and spindles rotors, etc. I got the spindles and that stuff from the junkyard off a 3/4 ton ford with the TTB. The ones with the diesel motor actually ran 60 knuckles and brakes. Picked it up everything from the knuckle out for $150. I got all my brackets welded on and the axle put under the jeep. Borrowed my buddy's 39.5" Iroks to test fit still need to find some wheels and tires. I got a 14 bolt last weekend and started stripping it. Does anyone know if the Grand Cherokees are wider than the Cherokees, because I used the measurements I took off my buddy's Cherokee to place my brackets and the coil mounts are like two to three inches to close together on the axle and my springs are crooked? Or if anyone knows the measurement either from the centerline of the axle to the center of the coil mount, or just coil mount to coil mount. I sold my d30 so I have nothing to measure off of.

21. #46 Re: Splinter 
    Got a truss for my 14bolt today from a buddy. Its a ruff stuff truss. I plated the bottom of it and put some cool holes in it Then started on triangulating my upper link brackets

22. #47 Re: Splinter 
    Got a chance to get a few more things done on the jeep today. Finished up triangulating the rear long arms, shortened my front trac-bar, sleeved it and plug welded it and built some rear shock mounts

Ordering my full hydro tomorrow from S&N FAB and going to work on cutting the floor out and moving the fuel tank up to clear that huge 14 bolt

Oh and my new tool I got for $50 of craigslist almost brand new

23. #48 Re: Splinter 
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx145 View Post
    Are you really trying to reuse the stock UCA mount? They generally aren't the strongest thing on a 30. Much less when you go to tons. I'd strongly suggest a new one. Let me know if I can help with that or your hydro.

And good score on the drill press. I've got a free standing drill press and I use it all the time!
    "Matt"

24. #49 Re: Splinter 
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonWorks View Post
    Are you really trying to reuse the stock UCA mount? They generally aren't the strongest thing on a 30. Much less when you go to tons. I'd strongly suggest a new one. Let me know if I can help with that or your hydro.

And good score on the drill press. I've got a free standing drill press and I use it all the time!
    It was a spur of the moment thing I am really impatient and wanted to get the axle under the jeep. I would like to replace it with a different mount but I am having trouble finding a mount that has the bushing in it. If anyone knows where I could get one I'd appreciate it. I still have to build my truss over the diff outta 3/8 plate and get a mount for it too.
    Last edited by racerx145; 02-18-2009 at 03:10 AM.

25. #50 Re: Splinter 
    I Cut out the rear cargo are floor today to move the fuel tank up. Was kinda nervous about doing it but it wasnt too bad I just followed the frame rails then I cut 5" out of the fuel tank skid plate and welded it back together and bolted it in. The fuel tank now sits on the skid and I am reusing the original straps on top to hold down the tank. I also made some rear shock mounts for the axle. I have heard of people having to move there filler necks up but I just drilled through the inner fender and ran the hoses right to the filler neck. I am going to have to find a different hose for the filler, but the vent hose worked just fine. Also to anyone else who has moved there fuel tank, did you make new fuel lines because mine are too short. I am assuming I can get the plastic fittings and some hard plastic line and make new ones. Was just wondering what everyone else did?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thread Information