Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Splinter

Thread: Splinter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Splinter 
    Hey I've been around here a while and finally decided to post my junk.

I got my ZJ two years ago I traded my uncle a 2004 Kawasaki KX250F for it. A 93' ZJ silver with the wood paneling. Hence where the nickname "Splinter" comes in, pretty much instantly painted the wood black, but the nickname always has stuck. Anyways heres some specs and picks of the slow build up.

Started out with 2.5" BDS lift installed by local shop with 31x10.5 Wildcat EXTs

Heres a few picks of BLM in my backyard in Bend, Oregon

Heres one from Larch Mountain Vancouver, Washington

I wheeled/DD it like that for a year or so. Then I got a set of 33x13.5 Toyo Mt's in trade for doing a timing belt on a volkswagen passat and a pair of 2" BB in the rear and ACOS in the front. So I was at 4.5". I cut the fenders some but was still rubbing pretty bad cause they are so wide.

I then got the bug to go bigger and ordered the Rusty's 5.5 LA

Intall pics of the LA's at my dads shop

I then built some rock sliders

They are made outta 2x4" rectangular tube and tied into my LA frame mounts with 1.5" square tube

I pretty much wheeled it like that for a year. Heres some pics of a few local spots

Havent been in the mud since 6hrs of pressure washing

First time being towed and I will never go back! So nice trailering it

My cousins 98' ZJ with my old 2.5" BDS and 2" BB on 32" Maxxis Bighorns

My buddy Bo's 92' XJ no lift and my toyos soon to be on 39.5 iroks and dana 44/60's

I then built a new rear bumper before Rubicon. Pics to come

Then last spring I got the chance to go to the Rubicon with a few guys.

Got my tow rig 3 days before we left 96' Powerstroke 5spd on 35' BFG's

Heres a few shots of the rubicon haven't got very many pics of me. Ran a set of 35' Yokohama Geolanders.

Carnage at the Rubicon included smashing tierod into front differential, some pretty good rock damage on the passengers side doors and broken rear axle shaft. (Lincoln locked) Of course I had the wrong spare axle shaft but a 8.25" shaft will fit in a dana 35 by knocking the roller bearings outta the race and running the axle on the. Was pretty crude but finally made it back to camp about sunrise. That was the end of my weekend. The orange xj on 37 boggers ripped the steering box off the unibody went to town and had it plated and ripped the tracbar off the frame the next day. The Black xj on 37 TSL's broke 3 ujoints. The trusty old Bronco on 38 TSL's never broke that was a first, usually hes about 10min into the trail and breaks.

Went out a few weeks ago to Edison snow park. Local spot about 25 miles away. Just a buncha snowmobile trails nothing to technical but pretty tight. Took the doors of for the first time on this trip.

I do not have very much tech right now but lots to come. I smashed up my passengers ft corner pretty good on the last trip we went out on so I broke out the sawzall and and started to dovenose it. I'll post up more pics when I find my camera. Hope you guys like it.
    Last edited by racerx145; 09-23-2008 at 02:00 AM.

2. #2 Re: Splinter 
    I like your style dude.

Quote Originally Posted by racerx145 View Post
    Eat Shit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I have a year round cougar permit. Cougars are always in season.
    '93/6"-Custom 3link & Tri-4link Long Arm/4.6L Stroker/AW4/np231/HP30/D44/Detrioted-4.88s/35s/murdered out wood grain playa...

3. #3 Re: Splinter 
    racerx145 wheeling checklist:

1 ZJ
    1 Trailer
    1 Tow Rig
    1 Case of coors light
    4 Bishes
    1 Bottle of roofies

Allllriigghttt gigity gigity.

Nice rig, awesome terrain out there always makes me jealous to see!
    Nick
    03 WJ 4.7 242HD Kolak/IRO 5" Clayton LA's
    35" BFGoodrich KM2

sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
    www.carolinadriveline.com
    www.ironrockoffroad.com
    kolak@aol.com

4. #4 Re: Splinter 
    lovin the ladies. Your rig looks like our Highway patrol cars painted the way you have it. How do you like the rustys lift?
    95 zj, KOR 7" long arm kit, lockrights front and rear, 285/75/16 (32.9x10.3) on rock crawler 16x8x4.5bs, kevins track bar with a home brew conversion, K&N FIPK, and Rubicon Express gen II discos.

Ready for install... home brew sliders
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...hlight=sliders
    Dr. Mambo
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...ighlight=mambo

5. #5 Re: Splinter 
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerousdave View Post
    lovin the ladies. Your rig looks like our Highway patrol cars painted the way you have it. How do you like the rustys lift?
    I like the rustys lift havent had any problems with it. It took quite the abuse at the rubicon and held up great. The only thing I wish is that it was 4 linked in the rear. I have ripped off the rear track bar so many times. I had to build a new upper mount for it. Welded some 1/4" c-channel around the frame and built my own mount then I just ripped it off the axle side and had to reinforce the shit outta that. But its been fine ever since.
    Last edited by racerx145; 09-24-2008 at 10:29 PM.

6. #6 Re: Splinter 
    Looks good. But I can't believe you got rid of the wood grain.
    Ben
    1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ : V8, 3.5", 31" M/Ts, Swapped in D44a with Aussie

www.gatrailriders.com

7. #7 Re: Splinter 
    I really like not having a tb in the rear. The trilink is sweet.
    95 zj, KOR 7" long arm kit, lockrights front and rear, 285/75/16 (32.9x10.3) on rock crawler 16x8x4.5bs, kevins track bar with a home brew conversion, K&N FIPK, and Rubicon Express gen II discos.

Dr. Mambo

8. #8 Re: Splinter 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
    Looks good. But I can't believe you got rid of the wood grain.
    I know it was one of those things where I thought it was stupid looking at the time but now I kinda wish I had it.
    93' ZJ 5.2L 5.5" LA, 60/14, 40s full hydro dovenose'd

96' Ford F250 Ext.Cab Short Box 4" lift, 35s, Boost&Pyro gauges, 3" Down pipe, 4" straight pipe,

9. #9 Re: Splinter 
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerousdave View Post
    I really like not having a tb in the rear. The trilink is sweet.
    Four linking it is definitely on my list of things to do when I upgrade axles.

96' Ford F250 Ext.Cab Short Box 4" lift, 35s, Boost&Pyro gauges, 3" Down pipe, 4" straight pipe,

10. #10 Re: Splinter 
    So the last time I went out wheeling I hit a tree and smashed up my passenger's front corner shoved it back about 4-5in and broke headlight, turn signal, etc... Anyways to make a long story short had the day off work and was bored and this is the result.

Well that was about 3 weeks ago I started on it and I am almost finished.

Also started building a front bumper and winch mount for my mile marker 9500lb winch my ex-girlfriend got me for my b-day two years ago.

Im not really liking the way that the winch sticks out like 2ft. off the front end. Anyone have any ideas about how to mount it farther back? Or should I just sell it? Cause I really need a sye kit and to install my np231. And whenever I am out wheeling I am always with other rigs so theres always someone there to tow me out so I dont really need a winch.

11. #11 Re: Splinter 
    I really like the changes to the front end.. Its a sweet look.

Dr. Mambo

12. #12 Re: Splinter 
    Rawr Lifetime Supporter jfowlzj95's Avatar
    Nice! Been thinking about doing this myself since my lights keep falling out, broke the plastic header piece behind them so I basically have to tape/strap my headlights and turn signals in. This gives me an idea of what it could look like.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    07 Cummins Fire Truck, it tow.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

13. #13 Re: Splinter 
    Dovenose looks pretty good. Might want to reattach the fenders to the upper radiator supports.

Your approach angle will be miserable if you mount the winch there. Cut out the tin can "crossmember" and mount the winch up against the AC condenser. Cut out the lower part of the grille if you have to. And mount that big solenoid box under the hood somewhere.

14. #14 Re: Splinter 
    looks sweet iam with cam but i would do a diff approch put your winch on a slide in and cut that angle off so theres about a quarter left then use some quarter to go in between the frame rails and flush mount u a reciever end in the plate so that the pin is behind the plate and slide it on in ooh yeah plus if you get some quick dissconnects then you have winch front or back
    Ray Charles gofast Tjuggy tons atlas 40" creepys,BLACKMAMBA 3500 Suburban 8.1 tow monster

15. #15 Re: Splinter 
    Love the dovenose job. nice to see another fellow Oregonite here. I'm living in Portland, grew up on closer to the coast along Hwy 30. Zj is lookin good.... I'm thinking about jumping tire sizes when these wear out, god willing that I can do gears and tires at the same time, maybe even swap the rear axle for at least a D44a..... been shaking that money tree for awhile, think I killed it...
    Last edited by Goosed76; 10-02-2008 at 10:30 PM.
    93' ZJ, 4.0L, 3" lift, 31's.. SOLD.
    New Ride- 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.0L, 5-Speed, 4x4.
    NEW JOB!!!!! NEW BABY!!!!
    Now considering another XJ/WJ/ZJ purchase as a baby mover- No room in the Ranger.
    Leaning towards XJ, 99-01.....

16. #16 Re: Splinter 
    Quote Originally Posted by bnboffroad View Post
    looks sweet iam with cam but i would do a diff approch put your winch on a slide in and cut that angle off so theres about a quarter left then use some quarter to go in between the frame rails and flush mount u a reciever end in the plate so that the pin is behind the plate and slide it on in ooh yeah plus if you get some quick dissconnects then you have winch front or back
    My step dad actually suggested that but I think I am just going to get ride of the winch I don't have room or want the extra weight of the winch in the back while I am not using it. Then I got a few bucks to hopefully buy a sye kit or some axles

17. #17 Re: Splinter 
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosed76 View Post
    Love the dovenose job. nice to see another fellow Oregonite here. I'm living in Portland, grew up on closer to the coast along Hwy 30. Zj is lookin good.... I'm thinking about jumping tire sizes when these wear out, god willing that I can do gears and tires at the same time, maybe even swap the rear axle for at least a D44a..... been shaking that money tree for awhile, think I killed it...
    Thanks it was definitely a time consuming job and I am still not finished with it. I am having the same problem with my money tree lol. Damn bills are draining it guess thats what happens when you break both ankles and your back and are in a wheelchair for a couple months and outta work for 9 months.

18. #18 Re: Splinter 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Dovenose looks pretty good. Might want to reattach the fenders to the upper radiator supports.

Your approach angle will be miserable if you mount the winch there. Cut out the tin can "crossmember" and mount the winch up against the AC condenser. Cut out the lower part of the grille if you have to. And mount that big solenoid box under the hood somewhere.
    Thanks for the ideas its still a work in progress so there will definitely be some more reinforcing of the fenders to the radiator support and im just gonna ditch the winch idea.

19. #19 Re: Splinter 
    That's cool... I figured there might be more work planned... No rig is ever "finished." If you're going to be wheeling though, you need a winch.

20. #20 Re: Splinter 
    tell him what happens cam when your on lower dammmmm nation and the winch you have dont want to work
    Ray Charles gofast Tjuggy tons atlas 40" creepys,BLACKMAMBA 3500 Suburban 8.1 tow monster

21. #21 Re: Splinter 
    Quote Originally Posted by bnboffroad View Post
    tell him what happens cam when your on lower dammmmm nation and the winch you have dont want to work

good point. Don't buy a winch that has a shitty remote that you have to beat against your rollcage in order for the switch to make contact. Then the remote decides to have a mind of its own and continues to spool in for 60 seconds without your finger on the button when your front tires are wedged beneath a 5 foot undercut ledge. Then your winch overheats and you can't spool out the cable under load. Yep, it's a milemarker.

22. #22 Re: Splinter 
    Love that dove-nose, more details please! Is the battery going to be relocated, or shoe-horned in somehow? Planning on lighting other than the offroad lights?
    "I started with nothing, and I still have most of it left."

23. #23 Re: Splinter 
    Quote Originally Posted by geesaw View Post
    Love that dove-nose, more details please! Is the battery going to be relocated, or shoe-horned in somehow? Planning on lighting other than the offroad lights?
    I ended up modifying the battery box and bolting back in in the same location, I did get rid of the a/c and cruise wouldn't be much room for them but neither of them worked anyways. For lights I mounted my kc's where the stock lights were, but its only temporary I would like to find some driving lights to mount there, but I am going to build my front bumper first. I will get some more pics tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    good point. Don't buy a winch that has a shitty remote that you have to beat against your rollcage in order for the switch to make contact. Then the remote decides to have a mind of its own and continues to spool in for 60 seconds without your finger on the button when your front tires are wedged beneath a 5 foot undercut ledge. Then your winch overheats and you can't spool out the cable under load. Yep, it's a milemarker.
    Great mines a milemarker too, oh well can't bitch about something thats free

24. #24 Re: Splinter 
    Quote Originally Posted by geesaw View Post
    Here's a few more pics of the dovenose. I borrowed the first pic off pirate4x4, I didnt have my camera the first day I started. Its the pic that gave me the idea of how to do mine. Check out this thread for some ideas on dovenose and dovetails.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711962

25. #25 Re: Splinter 
    wow...I really like what you are doing. Keep up the badassness!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ
    It's the midget version of Tommy's ZJ!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Thread Information