Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Front driveshaft length differences between years

Thread: Front driveshaft length differences between years

1. #1 Front driveshaft length differences between years 
    I got a '97 ZJ with the 5.2. My HP30 is getting worn out, so I replaced it with a LP30 from a '95 ZJ that I got for a steal. When I replaced the axle, I decided to put in the front CV shaft from the '95 so I wouldn't have to replace the yoke on the axle to the u-joint style. When I put it up there it looks like it's 3" too long. The '95 I got it from had the 5.2 too, so I'm wondering is there really a difference in the shaft lengths between years? I thought the transmissions were pretty similar in length between years.
    It's not a big deal. I think I'm just going to buy a u-joint style yoke for the 30 and reuse the same front shaft I've been using with the HP30.
    Thanks for the help.
    -RC
    97 ZJ 5.2 V8 with a 231 and a BB.

"What you do in life echoes in eternity"
    -Gladiator

2. #2 Re: Front driveshaft length differences between years 
    RC,
    I went the opposite route. I put a U joint style driveshaft in my 5.2L 95 ZJ that was a CV style driveshaft.
    I know the length of driveshaft I needed for U joint was 36" nominal. I dunno if that is the actual answer you were lookign for, but I had trouble diserning the question fro your post.

3. #3 Re: Front driveshaft length differences between years 
    i got a driveshaft on line that was too long i just popped off the lock nut and cut the seal so i could make it the right lenght
    96 ZJ, Black, 5.2, Auto, 242 Swap, D30 D44a, 3.5 inch lift and 2 inch poly boost 5.5 inches total lift, 33/12.5/15 BFG MTs on Chrome steelies

4. #4 Re: Front driveshaft length differences between years 
    Engine and tranny combos being the same for said ZJ's, the big difference comes from fact that the 46/44RE tranny's are shorter due to the electrionc governor being mounted to the valve body. The 46RH tranny's in the earlier 5.2 ZJ's use a hydralic governor that's part of the tail shaft assembly and therefore adds length to the transfer case adapter housing. Repositioning the governor in the RE tranny's allowed that housing to be shortened by about 3" for 96 and later ZJ's. Between all that and the change to the short pinion Dana 30's for 96 and later ZJ's, mixing and matching drive shafts especally front drive shafts between early and late ZJ's (95 being the last of the early config.) not to mention weather the HP30 throws you anouther curve or not, is pretty scetchy at best. Bring a good tape measure and measure twice. Good luck!
    Last edited by ZJRuss; 10-10-2008 at 03:37 PM.

5. #5 Re: Front driveshaft length differences between years 
    When I was looking into gear ratio swaps on my 96, I'm pretty sure I remember that they went from a long pinion style d30 (the old CJ style d30) in the 93-95s to a short pinion style d30 in the 96-98s (new TJ style), with basically luck of the draw for the 96 MY. I dont know what year your HP30 was,.....Either way, I don't think this will get you anywhere close to 3", so I'd wager that its a combo of tranny tailhousing length and possibly pinion length change as well.

Just something else to complicate the picture.
    Paul
    Last edited by paulkeith; 10-10-2008 at 05:47 PM.

6. #6 Re: Front driveshaft length differences between years 
    I found that the longest shafts came from V8 Grands. The one I have on my Grand came from a 1993 V8 Grand and you can see from the picture that at 7" of lift that shaft is barely extended.

Also, since this topic has come up a few times on NAGCA I took the liberty of grabbing a bunch of shafts from my dad's yard to show the varying lengths. Here are front ones and back ones laid out.

Last edited by AndyZJ; 10-29-2008 at 07:48 PM.
    1993 Grand Cherokee Limited, badgeless, all black, 7" LA, Clayton Crossmember+springs/Rusty's Arms, NP242, 35" MTR's, clear corners, cherry bomb exhaust, 4.88's, 5.2L, love of my life.

7. #7 Re: Front driveshaft length differences between years 
    Would the shaft be the same length on an AW4? Just a thought.
    93 ZJ Limited 4.0 AW4
    242 swap
    6.5" springs, JKS discos
    35" Baja Claws

8. #8 Re: Front driveshaft length differences between years 
    The shortest front shaft that is pictured above is from an I-6 Grand.
    1993 Grand Cherokee Limited, badgeless, all black, 7" LA, Clayton Crossmember+springs/Rusty's Arms, NP242, 35" MTR's, clear corners, cherry bomb exhaust, 4.88's, 5.2L, love of my life.

9. #9 Re: Front driveshaft length differences between years 
    I thought XJ front shafts were a touch longer?
    Poetry in commotion.

10. #10 Re: Front driveshaft length differences between years 
    FWIW;
    shaft lenghts
    scroll almost all the way down
    Last edited by cavaliers1323; 12-13-2008 at 01:09 AM.
    1996 ZJ 4.0 42RE NP242 Nothing Special. Custom 4" LA spring 10'

93 YJ 383 on 'pane 405hp/435tq NV4500 6.34:1 231/300 10.88:1 Locked Tons 5.38's 40's 108" WB

11. #11 Re: Front driveshaft length differences between years 
    Quote Originally Posted by naturalbornmudder View Post
    RC,
    I went the opposite route. I put a U joint style driveshaft in my 5.2L 95 ZJ that was a CV style driveshaft.
    I know the length of driveshaft I needed for U joint was 36" nominal. I dunno if that is the actual answer you were lookign for, but I had trouble diserning the question fro your post.
    I just converted my 95 ZJ from cv drive shaft to u-joint and am in search of a drive shaft the right length. I have two that are two short and was hoping you could tell me what you pulled yours out of to get the 36" length needed to get my shaft installed and working!

Thanks in advance

12. #12 Re: Front driveshaft length differences between years 
    http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J321-CV.PDF

I call it the driveshaft bible, perfect for junk yard hunting
    4.5" front custom 3-link, dual triangulated 4 link, 35s, custom front bumper. upcoming: custom belly skid, rear bumper, rocker cutout/boatsides, half doors

Thread Information