Thread: D300 TC swap in 5.2 ???

1. #1 D300 TC swap in 5.2 ??? 
    I am curious whats all required to get the d300 into a 97 5.2 grand? I have a xj 242 in there now. I know i need to flip it and twin stick it. But I am not into rock crawling, I do mainly trail riding. The twin sticks would be nice to do front dig on some of these tight switch backs. I have a rear line lock on the brakes so digs would be doable. but like I said my 242 with 2.72 gearing is ok I wouldn't go any lower than like 3.0:1. my 242 is starting to shit it self internally so its time to upgrade and one time only. Any advise please. I tried to search and theres no real good info.
    8" RK/ Acos lift, rancho rs9000x shocks 32" extended, Claytons Longarms, with 38X12.5 TSLs, Custom Rear bumper, custom front bumper, Waggy D44 front 4.56's and Detroit locker with warn premium hubs and yukon alloys and 8 lug conversion, D70 out back with 4.56's and Welded, 242 transfer case, 1 Ton steering setup. Rhino lined interior, olive drab exterior, and PSC 1.75" hydro assist ram.

2. #2 Re: D300 TC swap in 5.2 ??? 
    If I recall, some floor modifications will be necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

3. #3 Re: D300 TC swap in 5.2 ??? 
    get the advanced adapters adapter and it should just bolt up. when i installed mine i hade to do a bunch of stuff because there was no thick adapter.
    "Intelligence is a burden that only the truly ignorant are willing to bear" B. Franklin

4. #4 Re: D300 TC swap in 5.2 ??? 
    anyone else have any input? So it sounds like all I need is a doner d300, a flip kit or new case from A.A. and a new adaptor if I don't get the full replacement case. Also floor mods which I'm not worried about. So there is nothing else to do to replace my 242 with a d300?
    8" RK/ Acos lift, rancho rs9000x shocks 32" extended, Claytons Longarms, with 38X12.5 TSLs, Custom Rear bumper, custom front bumper, Waggy D44 front 4.56's and Detroit locker with warn premium hubs and yukon alloys and 8 lug conversion, D70 out back with 4.56's and Welded, 242 transfer case, 1 Ton steering setup. Rhino lined interior, olive drab exterior, and PSC 1.75" hydro assist ram.

5. #5 Re: D300 TC swap in 5.2 ??? 
    Kraqa did a write up on his D300 install including making the flip kit. He's pretty detailed.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...highlight=d300

There's a lot of other D300 info on this forum too that's pretty good.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

6. #6 Re: D300 TC swap in 5.2 ??? 
    i did a small write up when i did my install. i did not flip the case but the bolting up process would be the same. if you search my user name on nagca you shold be able be able to find it. the pics will be gone but the other should be there. i may have even have some of it here, i can't remember. there are also others here that have some info.

edit: i tried to sign in on nagca, but my user name and password does not work. i havent signed in on there in a couple years. i guess i was considered inactive so they got rid of me.
    Last edited by speedmontzj; 09-11-2008 at 05:21 PM.
    "Intelligence is a burden that only the truly ignorant are willing to bear" B. Franklin

7. #7 Re: D300 TC swap in 5.2 ??? 
    Last edited by speedmontzj; 09-11-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Thread Information