Thread: What welder to get

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #26 Re: What welder to get 
    Ive used .045 wire for everything from sheet metal to 1/2" plate, although they dont recomend mig for plate steel over 3/8"s.
    08 tundra double cab 5.7 4x4

I am jeepless at the moment.

Sold- Stock 03 WJ, 4.7HO. lift coming soon.

Sold-97 ZJ laredo 4.0, 242 RE BB, 31" BFG MTs, custom rear storage boxs, magnaflow hi flow cat, flow 70 series, 2.5 inch exhaust, jks quicker discos and some other crap
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2221028

2. #27 Re: What welder to get 
    I know its old but just to make a point......

Find it on craigs list, if you aren't that good of a welder take someone that is with you to test it out. I just picked up a backup Miller 250 with an $800 spoolgun for $1000, 8-9 years old but very few moving parts and you could replace all the moving parts for under $300......

BTW. I have 2 Miller 250's, 1 Lincoln 350, and a Miller 300cc/tig, I think any one of the top 3 (I would add ESAB) are great machines and I simply buy the best value from those brands. And I am sorry to see all the companies going under during this recession but I cannot ignore excellent tools at great prices......I have less than $3500 into the 3 machines & the Tig would be over $8000 alone the way its set up.
    Dan Fredrickson
    www.ruffstuffspecialties.com
    The New Industry Standard!

3. #28 Re: What welder to get 
    i lke linclon. NEVER had a single problem. i like 135 for sheet metal 230 for 1/8+ and the square wave tig, but im not sure they even make it anymore. i guess its all in what you are used to and can afford. i never like the way millers weld after learning on linclon. but a did like one miller i ussed it was sweet, especially aluminum. but it wasn't cheep.

4. #29 Re: What welder to get 
    Hey guyts, I know its been while, but I havent seen anyone talking much about ESAB. I am thinking of investing into a multipupose ESAB 215i since it basically does everything but its $1800 machine. Has anyone used one of those or just a multipurpose one in general?

I am new to this and in all honesty want to get one that last for a long time. Plan on putting a 50A outlet in the house. or rather steal from the old hot tub wiring.

Or would it be worth it to get different welders? A TIG and a MIG? seems kind of a waste of money if you can get a combo one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information