Thread: BV Adventure

1. #1 BV Adventure 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    First let me say this was one of the better camping trips with the kids in a long time.

We arrived at our campsite late afternoon on Thursday. We stayed along Chalk Creek off of Hwy 285 and 162.

Friday we took it easy in the AM doing a little exploring along Cotton Wood Pass. Then in the afternoon we put the Canoe in the water at Cotton Wood Lake and fished for the afternoon. The only day time rain we had was for about 45 minutes just before we fished. We just sat in the Jeep and waited for the clouds to move along.

Saturday we got up early and prepped the Jeep for the day with food etc. We started off taking 162 to St Elmo. Then we ran Tin Cup all the way to Mirror Lake and had lunch. Tin Cup is even more scenic than I remember. Pretty easy trail but on the Western side of the Continental Divide it did have some longer climbs. We helped a guy with a motorcyle get back on the trail. He broke his skid plate and put a hole in his transmission housing. A little JB Weld, duct tape and some lube and he was off. I hope he made it as he was going the opposite direction. We turned back and ran Tin Cup the other direction back to St Elmo.

After Tin Cup we ran Grizzly Lake. This trail must have had some erosion over the years as it was much more of a Bear than I remember. The first obstacle just passed the creek is still a challenge but with the right line we walked right up. The last time I ran this trail I had to winch over it. This time we walked it. The first couple of miles is all climbing with rocks and ruts all the way. There is also an off camber spot that you need to drive slow. The trail is very narrow along this portion with very few areas to allow other rigs to pass. Good thing no one was coming from the other direction. We hit the roof rack and scratched up the clear coat a bit but no real carnage. After you get passed the trees it mellows out quite a bit all the way to the lake. There is one area that you drive over a rock pile and it is a bit creepy hearing the rocks creek under your tires. It is about a 100 yards long. The lake is stellar. It was created by a beaver damn and is fairly large to be in the middle of no place like that. The lake is surrounded on three sides by the peaks. Grizzly Lake is a great trail and is on my top ten list of favorite Colorado Trails. (forgot to mentioned no confirmed Big Foot sittings this trip. We looked but no avail.)

On the way back to camp we found the trail head for Antero and drove up it for a little ways. It was getting late and we decided to turn back and head for camp. Antero was easy at this point but the views are in line with what we saw on Tin Cup.

Sunday was a leisure morning and a drive back home.

All three nights it rained like hell but during the day we had very little rain. The only notable day time storm was Friday mid day but it lasted less than an hour total.

We set out to do a mini Colorado Adventure and the Buena Vista area offers a lot. Scenery, Jeep Trails, Fishing, Lakes and a decent town to base near for supplies etc. I used 2 very full tanks of gas which cost me about 70 bucks each. I put in as much gas each time as I dared to avoid having to stop for more. The first tank got me to the BV area and a full day of exploring on Friday, the second lasted all day on Saturday running trails and the drive home on Sunday. Not too bad for almost 4 days of fun. This was a good way to save on gas money and still get a lot of Colorado Adventure in.

I have to say this for all you 4.0 fans out there. I was very happy with how well my 4.0 did. I was pulling a pop up trailer that was loaded down to about 1300lbs total, a 17 foot 140lbs canoe on the roof of my Jeep, 4 people and packed to the gills inside. We made it from Highlands Ranch to south of BV in 2 hours 15 minutes. On the return trip is was slightly less time. As long as my momentum was not interupted I could pull the passes with in 5 MPH of the speed limited. I am able to regain my speed if I geared down to 2nd. I am thinking I will stay with the 4.10s to allow me to run 60 in second with out red lining when needed. This was the farthest trip I have taken with my camper in tow and I was pleased with how well my Jeep did. I am still skeptical of I70 but with as many highways that intersect 285 and 70 like 24 and 9 I know I have options if I dont like how she pulls over Eisenhower or Vail Pass.
    Last edited by Mtn WJ; 08-18-2008 at 01:32 PM.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

2. #2 Re: BV Adventure 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Sounds like a great time. Seems like the camper fix is working out for ya.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

3. #3 Re: BV Adventure 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Camera broken Keith
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

4. #4 Re: BV Adventure 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Sounds like a great time. Glad it didn't rain too much for you.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

5. #5 Re: BV Adventure 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    Yea we lucked out on the Rain. It did rain a lot in the evening but not much during the day.

Umm the camera is working just fine. For some reason it stayed home for the weekend. Guess I left it on my desk as I walked out to the Jeep.

So far the new suspension on the trailer is doing great. This fall I will be doing the SOA and putting on the sliders and skids.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

Thread Information