Thread: Tour de Colorado (August 09)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Got a thread about this going on CO4x4 too, but I know some of you CO guys don't get over there that often, and some of you might want to go with us too.

Originally the plan was to take a week and just go nuts wheeling, but not hard core stuff. Check out some of the super awesome scenic and historic trails that CO has to offer. The plan was to hit Buena Vista, Aspen Crested Butte (some of the stuff from GSW01 for those that were there) before heading down to the Ouray, Silverton, Lake City, Durango, and then coming back up through the old mining towns north of Monarch Pass. After really looking at it, I think that would take a good two weeks to really do it right, and it would be a LOT of driving.

So I think we're gonna split it up into two trips. I've got a preliminary route planned for the BV, CB, & Gunnison portion of the trip.

Start out in BV, head up Cottonwood to Taylor Res. Take Taylor Pass past Taylor Lake to 102, and then head south to CB via Pearl Pass. From CB, head towards Marble via Slate, Gothic, Schofield, and Lead King. Head out to 133 and go down to Paonia Reservoir where we hook up with Kebler Pass, take it to Ohio Pass down into Gunny. Head east out of Gunny on 50 to Parlin then up to Pitkin via 76. Take Waunita and Black Sage over towards Old Monarch, but head north up Tomichi Pass, then take Hancock back towards Pitkin and take Cumberland over into Tincup. Then take Tincup Pass over to St Elmo, and 162, and then back to BV.

If we started out in BV in the morning (i.e. stay at a hotel in BV the night before), I think we could make it to the early portions of Pearl Pass by the end of the day. On Day 2, figure we'd camp near Marble since there's a lot to explore in that area, and a lot of things we want to check out that aren't on the direct route. Day 3 would get us at least to Pitkin, maybe all the way to Tincup if we pushed it real hard. Day 4 would get us back to BV, maybe enough time/energy to drive home, but probably not, so another night in a hotel (and a much needed shower I'm sure!!!). 3 nights camping, 2 in a hotel/motel, and should be an amazing trip.

It's gonna be 300 miles easy. Lead King and Schofield kinda parrellel each other, so there'll be some doubling back going on there. Might modify the route to leave out going all the way out to 133 and make a loop out of Slate, Gothic, Lead King, and Schofield, and just come right back to CB before taking Ohio down to Gunny.

I'm hoping to be able to accomplish this "leg" of the journey about this time next summer. As you CO guys know though, snow can play a BIG part in all of it. It may be a couple years before the entire route is free of snow by early-mid August. I think right now MOST of it is, but we don't have the time/money to make it happen this summer.

So that's where it sits right now. If there were a few more rigs along, it would lighten the load a bit for everybody too since we could split up a lot of the food and camping supplies. Pam and I would pretty much be packed to the gills to pull it off in just our two Jeeps.

2. #2 Re: Tour de Colorado 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    Sounds like fun. We did a mini version in the BV area this past weekend. I might be in next summer. You might consider some rondevou points for people to join you just for the day if they are not able to spend 4 in a row.

I am convinced you could do the BV area section in a day for sure. We ran Tin Cup both directions and then Grizzly on top of that. If we started earlier we could have inlcuded Antero. It is less than 20 miles from St Elmo to BV.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

3. #3 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    We've done a little more planning for this. Departure from Buena Vista, CO will most likely be August 22nd, maybe the 15th, not sure yet. Here's a little more detailed, and probably more realistic temporary itinerary.

Day 1
    Depart BV. Cottonwood Pass to Taylor over to Ashcroft. Camp somewhere near Ashcroft.

Day 2
    Pearl Pass to Crested Butte, then up towards Gothic. Camp near Gothic or Marble depending on travel time.

Day 3
    Devil's Punchbowl, Lead King Basin, Schofield, etc. Visit Marble, back to CB, then head to Gunnison via Ohio Pass. Hotel/motel in Gunny that night.

Day 4
    Head east on US50 from Gunny, head up to Ohio, Pitkin, Waunita Pass. Camp along Cumberland Pass somewhere.

Day 5
    Head north towards Tincup, down to St Elmo. Maybe check out Grizzly Lake, Mt Antero, other trails in the area. Double back to Mirror Lake and camp for the night.

Day 6
    Head east back to 285 and BV, head back to Denver or wherever else you came from.

The highest mileage in any one day is 64 on Day 2. We did a similar route at GSW01 and had no issues with time, so I'm confident we won't have any issues that day, especially since there will only be a handful of rigs and we won't be going all the way back to Aspen that night. Most of the roads will be relatively easy, so I'm sure we can make good time, and there's flexibility built into the plan as well.

There are many established campsites along the way, but we would try to stick to dispersed camping when possible, and then utilize a motel/hotel in Gunny to get a shower and minimize the stink factor.

If anybody's interested, post up!

4. #4 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Day 3 is going to be a LONG day, you may want to camp somewhere before Gunny. BTDT
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

5. #5 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Damn, who's babysitting for me?
    Kamil...ka-meal

04 WJ Limited 4.7L V8 QTII/ MX6 shocks/IRO 3" coil springs/ 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns/ Cragar Soft 8s/ Addco RSB/ JKS Supernerf/ JKS Discos/ JKS Adj. TB/ Rancho SS/ K&N/ 4.56 gears/ rear Aussie locker/ RSS front diff cover/ Magnaflow

6. #6 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Day 3 is going to be a LONG day, you may want to camp somewhere before Gunny. BTDT
    Day 2 "should" be a rather easy day, we could probably get to Marble and camp around there somewhere. I wouldn't think Marble to Gunny in one day would be too bad.

7. #7 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Sounds like a blast Dave, if I didn't have all of my vacation spoken for this summer already I would have loved to have gone!
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

8. #8 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Please do this again in 2010. I would drive from MI to make this trip but funds are tight and I wont have princes ZJ ready this year Im afraid. Sounds like my dream trip though.... Take lots of pics.

9. #9 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Sounds like a great trip! As much as i have enjoyed this ski season i cant wait for it to melt to get out there and explore!

i have been using this trip report from the EXPO to plan a trip for my self. Not to sway your trip any, just some pictures to fuel your want to make this trip happen!

TRIP REPORT

ZIG

10. #10 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Are Toyotas welcome? That is, of course, assuming it can leave my garage by August.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

11. #11 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    You get it runnin and you can bring it!

12. #12 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    I must also ask if this might be a yearly trip?? I am in AFG this year and wont be able to make that trip but it sounds like a great trip from what i read in the 4x mags.

fyi for those not from the CO area but would be making the trip, (maybe w/ another group) could you give gps points for turns and rig recomended specs?
    99 grand V8 242 swap 6.5 LAs
    D44s F+R, gas tank tuck, rear tire carrier and home built roof rack on the way

13. #13 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Probably won't do this trip on a yearly basis. There's enough similar trips within UT and CO to eat up a couple decades worth of vacation time for me. GPS points are easily available all over the net for these trails, and the trails themselves are pretty easy.

14. #14 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Member Lifetime Supporter Mochisme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    Probably won't do this trip on a yearly basis. There's enough similar trips within UT and CO to eat up a couple decades worth of vacation time for me. GPS points are easily available all over the net for these trails, and the trails themselves are pretty easy.
    Hi BigDaveZJ,

I keep seeing the word "EASY" in this thread, so I have to ask this question. Would my totally stock 2007 WK be able to make this trip?

I would love to get my wife out on something like this, but it could only be done in her WK as she can not get in and out of my ZJ. It also sounds like a great trip and all of it would be in part of the country we have never seen.
    Ted

2000 WJ Stock, Towed behind the Motor Home
    2000 Monaco La Palma 34' Class A Motorhome

15. #15 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    Damn I would love to do this, but a 20hr trip isn't really in the realm of possibilities, especially considering the cost involved for me....but never say never.

16. #16 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    A stock WK might struggle in some areas. Most of these trails are new to me, but I figured with me on 35's and Pam on 32's we shouldn't run into any problems.

17. #17 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    From what I can remember from the trails I've run (which isn't all you have listed), a stock would be ok with an occasional spot or a rock here or there (and a good driver is key).
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

18. #18 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    My other concern would also be a stock WK being able to go the pace that we'd be trying to keep.

19. #19 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Member Lifetime Supporter Mochisme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    A stock WK might struggle in some areas.

My other concern would also be a stock WK being able to go the pace that we'd be trying to keep.
    I can understand the "Struggle" comment, but I am not sure what you mean with the "Pace" concern. Could you explain as I would like to give serious consideration to joining you on this.

We can talk more about it in Moab come GSW in June.
    Ted

2000 WJ Stock, Towed behind the Motor Home
    2000 Monaco La Palma 34' Class A Motorhome

20. #20 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    We'll be running 50-60 miles of trail each day. To be able to do that we'll have to move pretty quickly on the trail. Some of the terrain will be a little rough, and I'm just not sure you'd want to bomb through it a rate that a more modded rig can do, and we'll need to maintain a pretty quick pace to make the trip in the time we want to and still be able to enjoy it.

21. #21 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Looks like this will happen from 8/22 to 8/30. Exact days of departure and when we'll be in each place are not finalized yet though.

22. #22 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Ive been wanting to do something like this since moving to Co. My rig wont be ready for it this year, I dont think, but Im down for next year for sure! but we will see what the summer holds.

23. #23 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Now that there is a solid date I'm super motivated to get my junk ready!

24. #24 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    I will be back in school by then but have fun, looks like one helluva good time!
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

25. #25 Re: Tour de Colorado (August 09) 
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteves View Post
    I will be back in school by then but have fun, looks like one helluva good time!
    Nonsense! Get the Super up and going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information